So this woman from the DR wants to visit me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I think the proper reference would point to bulding capacity (as in population density). Not thicker concrete.

Now you know the Bronx like I do, and population density means nothing from the outside looking in. You know on average on Walton, Girard, Davidson Avenues and even Grand Concourse there can technically(by design) be one building chopped up into 6 buildings, just on 1 block. And you also know that not EVERY apartment in that building is occupied. And hasnt been for maybe 20 years. You can see buildings that face one street follow through all the way to the opposing side of the block and then look up and see bricks where windows used to be. Entire wings of buildings sealed off(awaiting gentrification). If anyone disputes me I ll take a picture next time I m in that area. What could have in the past(~1950-60s Bx, pre-CBX) housed 200 apartments and probably 10000 residents now may have the same # of residents(higher pop. density) but lower occupancy rate.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Now you know the Bronx like I do, and population density means nothing from the outside looking in.

The release of the 2010 census will definitely provide the answer. They were a little too concerned about the national origin of Latinos for my taste but the resultant data should prove interesting.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
The release of the 2010 census will definitely provide the answer. They were a little too concerned about the national origin of Latinos for my taste but the resultant data should prove interesting.
Maybe they're trying to figure out how so many got here...they should have used the Paul Revere method

Check box #1 if by land or check box #2 if by sea

Feb 15, 2005
Now you know the Bronx like I do, and population density means nothing from the outside looking in. You know on average on Walton, Girard, Davidson Avenues and even Grand Concourse there can technically(by design) be one building chopped up into 6 buildings, just on 1 block. And you also know that not EVERY apartment in that building is occupied. And hasnt been for maybe 20 years.

It must be awhile because one can't find many vacancies in the Bronx anymore. Actually many many empty lots are new residences and new ones are being constructed regularly (check Jerome Ave. in the 170's near the precinct). There are very very few empty lots in the Bronx.

The infusion and population growth of Mexicans have taken up the slack.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
It must be awhile because one can't find many vacancies in the Bronx anymore. Actually many many empty lots are new residences and new ones are being constructed regularly (check Jerome Ave. in the 170's near the precinct). There are very very few empty lots in the Bronx.

The infusion and population growth of Mexicans have taken up the slack.

Not true. Go there and see the back side of block. The buildings still have the same bricked up windows running the entire block as they have since maybe 1975??? Now, a positive thought would say that they have rearranged space inside the buildings to make the apartments larger BUT WE KNOW THAT IS NOT THE CASE. So I m stuck thinking they will warehouse these "available" units like they do in Harlem until the neighborhood gentrifies with enough disposable income to buy "luxury apartments". Which is what was supposed to happen if you ever saw the real blueprint for "The Grand Concourse Boulevard". It was supposed to be like the Champs D ?lysee en Paris.

Mexicans aint taking up that much space, especially since the rents arent the same as they were years ago. Have you seen East 138th Street? Mott Haven on the 6 Train? It actually looks like the set from Sesame Street. Those are people who cant even get into Manhattan, anywhere, and have decided to make a place in the South Bronx.

Plus there are plenty of high rise luxo boxes in Brooklyn going up or completed. But that doesnt mean they are ocupado...and many of them are not.

Regardless of Census numbers this is what pushes Dominicans and others into those dying Northeast cities. I had a Dominican woman tell me they were moving to Buffalo because "there are plenty of good jobs there". Heard the same thing about Milwaukee, and Providence. Of course no one ever clearly defines what a good job is. Tothe best of my knowledge it is never really the job(s), it is the cost of the rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.