SOLAR ECLIPSE on MONDAY

Jan 7, 2016
The totality of the eclipse was uber impressive here in Clarksville, Tennessee. 100% eclipse for over 2 minutes, temperature drop, darkness equivalent to night...absolutely NO cloud cover. The view through the eclipse glasses was superb...facinating to watch the moon munch away at the sun until it totally covers it and then the reverse when the sun begins to reappear. It's supposed to happen again here in 2024, so I guess, God willing, I'll try to make that event, too!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Enjoyed watching it in Punta Cana. My viewing box worked like a charm. What most impressed me was the reduced heat from the sun.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I agree and it will look best on my tv in the comfort of my living room. It will be interesting to see how many people will suffer eye damage from looking with sunglasses or fake eclipse glasses. Its easier than you think to get hurt. My step son, Mr. Dominican helpful, tells my wife she can safely look at the eclipse using a welding mask. Being a careful person I checked and if you use a welding shield it needs a grade 12 filter lens. Hers did not have even the minimum protection and I stopped her from using it.
Opthalmologists must be very happy.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
the clouds closed at 3:30 but it was enough.
sorry, pic is poor quality.

2q084rn.jpg
That's how we watched, in a cereal box.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Overcast where I was. The entire event was like clouding up before a storm. Nothing burger.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Overcast where I was. The entire event was like clouding up before a storm. Nothing burger.
We had bright sunshine up here and it was like late afternoon in the middle of the day. It was interesting, but not a celestial life-changing event. No apocalypse.

I showed our cereal box pinhole projector to the cambio delivery guy, and you'd have thought he saw his first IMAX. He said it hurt his eyes to look at the eclipse directly. I wonder how many times he had tried.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in all honesty i was amazed with the magic box as well. all hail science.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It got clearer towards 1:00 p.m. so my wife and I headed out to the countryside in La Paloma where a sister lives with her two children. She was at work, so we had the kids Ubered from where they were to the house and by the time we got there it was 2:00 p/m. and the show was starting.

I had made two boxes and three viewing lenses so we were able to see the very beginning of the show.

Pretty soon, some of the neighbors, typical Dominican country folk, started to wonder what we were doing, and so wife showed them and caused wonder among the flock. What impressed me was that they walked to the nearest hardware store and bought a piece of welder glass (#12, I checked) so they could watch the show, too. It was like a 4th o July fireworks display, with the oooohs and awwwws....

The two kids really seemed to enjoy the festivities (the sandwiches, nibbles and soft drinks helped with that, I suppose) and they used both the boxes and the lenses.

Momma got home in time to see the last half of the show. And grumpy me came away with a smile on my face. .

Like CB says, not an earth-shaking, mind-bending event, but certainly worth seeing.

Wife asked me if I had seen eclipses before and I said yes but I did not pay much attention to them. Then she asked me why now? And I said that back then I did not have any small children to share the event with and now I did.....and that was what put that smile on my face.

HB