Solutions Assessment/Feedback input request

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
elchino,

It seems to me like you dont really have any ideas. Are you writing all this down for your political party's agenda? PED?

Prove me wrong, cut the BS and post something smart.

elchino

Jul 7, 2006
Yes!

The following are my own individual, brief answers to the solution assessment/feedback input request:

#1) The causes for the lack of law enforcement is currently changing for the better in the Dominican Republic, now there is more police presence in the streets and as a result more law enforcement. It took some executive order and action to generate this partial effort to implement the laws. I say partial because white collar crime is not been dealt with and it will take similar action to at least minimize the wide spread corruption within government. (Similar action will be required as it relates to question #8)

#2) The judicial system can be better and further improved by creating a judicial review board that will monitor all legal proceeding related to corruption and crimes against the state's public funds and property. Furthermore, any member of the judicial system that is guilty of taking a bribe will immediately be investigate, to gather evidence, tried and put in jail.

#3) By involving all the public and private sectors, and their respective employers community, in determining their human resources needs (of the entire employers community) thus creating specific on the job training with tax credit and incentive for the private sector employers, to satisfy thair human resources need, will constitute a step in the right direction. As well as implementing the law that requires that 80 % of all the employees be Dominican nationals.

#4) By establishing regulations and tax credits and incentive, for more food production, can help to get more people to cultivate their agricultural land. Also through negotiation, private and public land can be leased to those farm workers that have no land to cultivate, emphasizing on the land that is not being used due to negligence or because the owner have more land than he can put to use. Also creating cooperative owned farms can be an option, instead of leasing to individuals or private corporations.

#5) The issue of lack of mental illness treatment in the Dom. Rep. is a very sad one. There are options that the government can generate, by creating privatize group homes and developing treatment plans to every single individual suffering of any kind of disability. There are international charities and religious organizations that can help in providing direct services to this population. If we are expending more than 1 billion dollars in a metro system, we can, for sure expend a few millions in providing this kind (mental health) human services.

#6) Regarding the external debt, Bilijou said why would we want to paid off? Perhaps he is right. However at least we should stop borrowing more, thus saving on the Hugh amount of interest rate to be paid and using that money to provide human services, education and job development. We, as a country can not continue to borrow money for every single new program. Where is the money generated as income by the Dominican Republic? And How much its?

#7) Well, this question is not too realistic, we can never really be totally self sufficient but we can try to produce more of those thing Dominicans consume more of. Also we can try to negotiate better deals with those multinational corporation that are making Hugh profits in the Dominican territory and providing them with either tax credit for reinvestment or make them pay Hugh taxes on all their capital and profits generated within the sovereign Dominican territory. Perhaps other member of this board can input their 2 cents into question #7.

#8) I totally disagree with people that claim that it will take generations to overcome corruption, within the government in the Dominican Republic. Corruption can be substantially minimized by executive order of law enforcement and massive monitoring of all government expending and purchasing transactions. Also creating special operations to set-up those government divisions that are traditionally corrupt, in all their dealing, thus gathering evidence, setting-up especial prosecutors and tribunals and putting the guilty ones in jail, with a mandatory 25 years jail time.

There maybe other alternatives that can be use to minimize corruption, please let us know.

P.S. Bilijou, I hope you can continue to participate on this thread. The answers provided here, now, were encouraged by your last post- for which the answer is "yes".

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
You asked me to address each and every question you posted but I’m sorry the idea of doing such would be a complete waste of my time. This can be evidenced by your statement, “Well, this question is not too realistic” in answer from you concerning question #7. In my prior post I addressed your question #3 and you ignored my response. In your latest post #22 you also said, “As well as implementing the law that requires that 80 % of all the employees be Dominican nationals., and this is a law that has been on the books for many years. Rather then trying to reinvent the wheel how about addressing the Haitian workforce that I and TB stated and as to what impact you feel it has on the general well being of this country.

At this point I wish to address question #4 because you seem to be unfamiliar as to how things operate and are done here. For this short little lesson I will use the production of cocoa and rice for instructional purposes.

This post and thread will explain the problems encountered by local, small Dominican farmers trying to get into the cocoa market here. It is things like this that you need to address. Remember too that a lot of the laborers used in the harvesting are illegal Haitians.

Just for the hell of it let’s talk about rice now. The DR in 2005 produced about 275,000 metric tons. Rice is one of those products whereas only about 5% gets exported from any country and 95% gets consumed by the people of that country and this is true throughout the world. The consumption of rice by the Dominicans is about 320,000 metric tons a year. The price to produce rice in this country is around US$23 per hundred pounds (RD$747.50) and the figure for the rest of the world is around US$9 per hundred pounds (RD$292.50). I pay RD$1,750 for a sack of 125 pounds which is a 50% markup over DR production cost price and a 400% markup over world production costs. World production costs are about 3 pesos a pound and when Hippo took office it was selling here for 4 pesos a pound. The current price is about 14 pesos a pound and was up to around 18 pesos. In 2002 the DR overproduced by 65,000 metric tons and talked the government into buying the surplus. Check out what it costs the government to store that excess rice here on page 2. The DR government helped out the producers last year as indicated here. The estimated production of rice for this year is here. Let’s not forget the rice coming in from Haiti.

When talking about rice production remember that we are talking about a product grown, harvested, milled and bagged in this country for consumption in this country. We are talking about a product that is locally produced at four times the cost elsewhere in the world. We are talking about a product subsidized by the DR government and excess production bought by said government. We are talking about a product that 100,000 pounds are donated to this country free of charge almost every year. We are talking about a product whereas a lot of the manual laborers are illegal Haitians being paid below minimum wage. In spite of all this the poor Dominicans are paying top dollar (peso) for a product they depend on to survive. Address that!!!

Rick

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
Elchino,
It is easy to have an idea of how you would like the country to be… it’s a bit harder finding how to get there. Let’s say this imaginary PED comes to power. Governing a country means making the decisions that will yield the most benefit to the general population WITH limited resources. The fact that there are limited resources means that you have to prioritize, focus on the most important issues. How are your questions (or answers for that matter) relevant?

You haven’t said anything new about the justice system or corruption. Empty rhetoric. Mr. Snyder has posted a comprehensive explanation of trade and comparative advantage (with the rice and cocoa), I suggest you read it. It should answer #3 and #4.
Also, I know you work with the disabled but as we are dealing with limited resources I wouldn’t do your answer to #5 before investing a GREAT deal on education and health. Don’t you think?
External debt is a huge problem at the moment; it should be minimized but not eliminated. This administration seems to be ignoring these numbers. Even though, Leonoel’s economist Temistocles Montas came out with a document discussing it. Though the relative increase in debt surpasses that of the GDP, external debt is usually seen in relation to GDP, the cushion to the situation is that hopefully DR is growing fast making up for some of it.

As for the Haitian issue:
It can’t be denied that the great majority of Dominicans are a little bit biased against Haitians. Most Dominicans despise them. The reason I say this is because 80% of the jobs in Tourism are NOT taken by Haitians, the article specifies that it is only in the Puerto Plata region. A statement also comes from the National Borders Council which seems like a political move, a criticism to the “laissez faire” policies of the LF government. Do you even know if there was a study made? Or was it estimates?

They hold a lot of the jobs in the informal sector? What do they do after they end their day selling stuff in the street? They go to a Dominican colmadon to buy everything else they need. Is it taking away Dominican jobs?
Illegals work in the sugar fields that no Dominican wouldn’t do, what is this industry to do? Temporary visas sounds like a good idea to me. It’s the hole in the minimum wage issue.

If they are driven out, it might raise the minimum wage. It might help Dominicans in construction and tourism, but it will do a lot of damage to the Sugar industry. The prices of a lot of things will go up. Construction in the country will be halted as prices go up. Affecting the growing real estate and development sector. It would be disadvantageous for foreign investment. I am not saying I know the answer for this, but the pros and cons have to be weighed properly.

1/8 of the Dominican population is Haitian.
The Hispanic population is just over that, and is projected to be 1/4 of the population by 2050. Part of globalization. Fortunately, our borders are much smaller and manageable. We need to get stricter and more institutional borders.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
So you want to start a business. The informal business sector was mentioned in the DR1 news from 2005 here.

That article that I mentioned before is interesting in that it stated, “until the National Coffee Council does not create the necessary conditions to attract Dominican rural labor for the collection process, they will be compelled to continue dependence on foreign (Haitian) workers.”. When I see something like this then automatically I ask what is it that the Council needs to do to attract the Dominican rural labor? In this article it said that it is because of the economic situation that the Haitians come here and Dominicans take “yolas” out. I would think there has to be a way to make the employment of Dominicans a reality. It appears as there are a lot of jobs out there that are being worked by the illegal Haitian community and if these jobs were in fact held by Dominicans then that 17% unemployment rate would be reduced drastically.

It is being alluded to that the Haitians working the informal business sector has no effect of the conditions of Dominicans. I can assure you that a lot of them buy from fellow Haitians and not that much of the monies actually make it back into the Dominican economy. If 50% were to make it back into the local economy does not that other 50% have an impact on the economy on this side of the border? Even way out here in El Seybo we have a large segment of Haitians working in the informal sector. My mother-in-law was displaced from her position in that sector due to Haitians so I know it causes problems here.

This article needs to be read again. Though the percentage seems to be questioned I can assure you that it is well over 50%. Remember that this article states, “of the manual labor in the Bavaro and Puerto Plata tourism regions” so we seem to be talking about manual labor only, giving rise to the validity of the percentage. In that the article said, “Haitian manual labor is taking over not only the traditional activities, such as agriculture, informal economy and construction, but also the tourism activities”, which when compiled together means a lot of jobs. Note that it mentions the “Bavaro” area also. This is an area in the La Altagracia Providence which is more then 250 kilometers from the Haitian border and not close like Porta Plata and includes all areas in between. The problem is much bigger then you can imagine from across the pond.

So if the sugar industry were to be forced to hire Dominicans, or at least 80% as the law states, do you think that prices would go up? Do you think the market, which has a hard time buying at the inflated prices now, would allow that to happen? Maybe this is a test that is way past its time to be confronted. I gave an explanation about the inflated price on rice here and that is due to the greed of that industry which is Dominican owned. Maybe both markets need to be tested.

Construction in this country. Do you honestly think construction will come to a screeching halt if only 20% of the labor force is forced to be Haitian and the other 80% is forced to be Dominican? You had better think that one over again because it would never happen. The price increase would only be forced on to the buyer and if the market won’t bear the load then the builder has to be less greedy and sell for less. The prices being charged in construction have been discussed on this board to a nauseated state and it’s fair to say that the prices are way, way, way above actual cost because that is what the market will bear.

Please don’t refer to me as Mr Snyder. My name is Rick and a few other choice names that have been drawn out of the hat. If that is how you wish to refer to me then so be it but the name is Rick and I prefer that.

Rick

elchino

Jul 7, 2006
O.K. Rick, as you prefer

Obviously there are a lots of problems and issues in the Dominican Republic's economy, greed, inflated prices and lack of government action toward some permanent solutions to all the above.

Getting the Haitians labor-force documented can be a step in the right directions, right? How can we, positivelly, incorporate them (Haitians) in the economic picture of the Dominican Republic? How can Haitians have a positive impact economically, versus a 50% of deflected earned income from Dominican Republic to Haiti?

What kind of regulations can the government imposed to minimize or to avoid the greed, and the inflated prices? Can more taxes and price control be a potential solutions?

It seems that even though Dominicans earn RD$ pesos all the prices of goods and services are equivalent to the US$ dollars, since thats the case can the government engaged in price control of some kind? If the dollar goes-down, so should the prices of goods that when up consequent to the dollar exchange rate.

What kind of economic reforms will be acceptable by the establishment in the Dominican Republic (to resolve the major problems)? More in the line of "give a little to save alot approach"!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
elchino said:
Obviously there are a lots of problems and issues in the Dominican Republic's economy, greed, inflated prices and lack of government action toward some permanent solutions to all the above.

Getting the Haitians labor-force documented can be a step in the right directions, right? How can we, positivelly, incorporate them (Haitians) in the economic picture of the Dominican Republic? How can Haitians have a positive impact economically, versus a 50% of deflected earned income from Dominican Republic to Haiti?

What kind of regulations can the government imposed to minimize or to avoid the greed, and the inflated prices? Can more taxes and price control be a potential solutions?

It seems that even though Dominicans earn RD$ pesos all the prices of goods and services are equivalent to the US$ dollars, since thats the case can the government engaged in price control of some kind? If the dollar goes-down, so should the prices of goods that when up consequent to the dollar exchange rate.

What kind of economic reforms will be acceptable by the establishment in the Dominican Republic (to resolve the major problems)? More in the line of "give a little to save alot approach"!

elchino:

Getting the existing, and future, Haitians properly documented for legally entering the workforce in the DR is, at present, an insurmountaable problem.
Under the existing laws governing legal entry into this country, the time-frame for the completion and issuance of the documentation is sengthy, involves many agencies and supporting documentation by the applicant. Most applicants would not be able to produce nataional identification, a birth certificate, a police certification of good public standing, etc., thereby presenting a severe problem to authorities for approval. Those impediments, coupled with the current inability by local authorities to officially process the documentation presented, creates an "estopel" to the individual application. The immigration system simply is not designed, nor supported for the rapid approval of visas, either for work or for temporaray residency, thus creating the current usage of "greasing the palm" of authorities and police at the border points and in between. I might add that neither this nor any previous Administration has seen fit to address this problem. The problem is viewed as not worth the effort and would severly disrupt the "Status Quo" of government activity. The cited problem is demonstrative of the endemic inefficiency and ineptness of all government activities in the DR.
As to the remainder of the commentary, bear in mind that this, and other previous Administrations have applied "charge what the market will bear" in the area of taxation since that is the source of all the government's money.
Solutions such as the ones you recommend are available, as they are to all governments. The problem lies, essentially, in the fact that no Administration thus far has had the political courage to address and correct the endemic problems that exist.

Texas Bill

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
Alright Rick,
You make very good points. As I said before, I don’t know every single detail of this subject, so I don’t have a defined stance on it. The problem is that the lack of information or documentation makes understanding this issue much more tedious.

Let’s start with the National Coffee Council. After giving it some thought, I agree with you, dependence on Haitian labor is having a negative impact on the industry. But not in the way it is stated in the article, since Dominicans leaving the country has nothing to do with it. Most Dominicans that leave belong to the middle class (who can usually afford the tickets) and most of those who would work in these fields are in the lowest. The articles talks about “necessary conditions” to attract Dominican rural labor. I have an idea of what they are.

Haitians work under subhuman conditions which NO Dominican would stand. This abstract, despite being a bit biased points at something that I mentioned before, the mechanization of the sugar or agricultural sector in general. You are right, if there weren’t a reliance on Haitians, the agricultural sector would be prompted to invest in machinery and better working conditions, otherwise they’d be out of business. But this brings me to the concept of barriers of entry. With cheap labor, barriers of entry to the industry are much less compared to a mechanized industry requiring a lot of capital investment for machinery. What effects does this have on potential startups?
Another thing is, if the Haitian factor is in fact eliminated, will this mean that there will be capital or knowledge to become capital-intensive rather than labor-intensive?

(Also, I also wanted to point out that Dominicans taking the Haitian jobs is not as easy to measure. This is due to the fact that wages of Haitians in relation to Dominicans are much lower. Replacing Haitians with Dominicans will not be 1-to-1.)

As for deflation of wages, I don’t think the impact will be HUGE. If DR were a much more developed (as is the case with migration to a developed country) with established higher wages, then yes, the impact would be significant. What I would agree with you is that it would be an impediment in raising the Dominican standard of living. But the problem is not Haitians, it is the government. They should be enforcing labor laws.

The reason why you get so many Haitians in El Seybo is because it is just north of the biggest sugar refinery and employer of DR. Some have moved from there to areas like Bavaro. In La Romana and El Seybo you find so many Haitians because they work the fields there. The seasonal recruitment of Haitians to work in the fields goes back to a century ago. I doubt anything would be done about this, since the sugar industry works hand in hand with the government.

That was only Agriculture. According to the CIA factbook, Agriculture in DR makes up only 11.2% of the GDP and 17% of employment.

As far as the informal sector, there are no concrete numbers as to how many Haitians are in the informal sector. I can assure you that most in the informal sector are Dominicans.
One question, do you have any figures on remittance from Haitians in DR to Haiti?
I didn’t think it was that much. With their mediocre wages, I didn’t think they had money left over to send. Do these people eat? Is it really 50% that goes back to Haiti?
I still believe that they contribute more to the economy than they take away IN the informal sector. Maybe you can get some figures to change my mind.

Construction won’t come to a screeching halt, but it sure will affect it. I read somewhere a long time ago that the development of the capital and many other areas in the country in the past decades would have been impossible without Haitians labor in construction. The question is, do the benefits of this development (in a country with much needed infrastructure) outweigh the possible wages that could have been earned by Dominicans?
I am also leaning towards Dominicans, but I would like to emphasize that the answer isn’t straightforward. Do we want the case in the US with the unions where these construction workers are paid $40 an hour, more than professionals?
The reason why construction prices would be inflated is not because of Haitians, but unfair business practices and lack of competition. If the government were to promote competition by breaking up collusions, this wouldn’t be the case.

Finally, I would like to question how alarming the Haitian situation is. All countries with significant migration into it, experience a wave of anti-immigrant sentiment whenever the economy has gone into recession. It happens in the US and France, and DR is no different. That article I used earlier points out at how the Haitian massacre in the 1930’s was a reaction to the depression. The 1980’s recession was similar. The recent economic collapse was followed by an anti-Haitian wave. My question is, how alarming is this situation? Is it alarming or is it that they are just noticing now?

I apologize for the lack of structure of this post.

elchino

Jul 7, 2006
I hope they keep this one up and functioning!

:chinese: :chinese: :chinese: US to provide radar surveillance
Armed Forces Minister Admiral Sigfrido Pared Perez has announced that the United States government will provide the Dominican Republic with assistance with tri-dimensional radars to detect airplanes that use Dominican airspace at low altitude for illegal activities, mainly drug trafficking. This will allow the Dominican authorities to receive early warning about airplanes violating the country's airspace as well as all vessels approaching its shores, as reported by Diario Libre. The Admiral is in Key West, Florida, where discussions about the signing of a protocol with the Anti-Narcotics Intelligence Coordination Joint Command were taking place. He said that this collaboration with the US would start next week and information will be provided by radar centers in Miami and Puerto Rico that will send the data via satellite. The authorities explained that air traffic control radars installed in Dominican airports aren't able to detect low-flying aircraft. Pared Perez said that the Armed Forces are in the process of purchasing a 3D radar for use by the Air Force.:chinese: :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I’m sorry elchino but your illusion that the proposed implementation of a radar system here for the surveillance of low flying drug importation is nothing more then an illusion. There are a number of reasons behind this and I will hit on a few for your sake as you seem to be truly interested in this.

1. It is a fact that any type of equipment, especially those with moving parts, require a maintenance and preventive maintenance system in order to function on a continual basis. It is a fact that no part of the Dominican sectors have such a system in place and probable never will therefore insuring it wouldn’t operate very well or for very long.
2. It would be disadvantages to the powers to be to have such a detection system in place as it would mean less income to them so I foresee this system not being put in place or its not functioning properly or its not functioning long.
3. Low level drug importation usually requires night operations which would require night surveillance of the system and we know for a fact the custom of night time labor workings of the Dominican populace. It usually implies drinking and/or sleeping.
4. Dominicans are not known for following recommendation from other people. A classic example of this is the recommendations made to your government from Southern Command concerning the Haitian border. It seems apparent that nothing was done concerning this as there is another recommendation mentioned in today’s new on the same thing.

There was a time not so distant that I felt the way you do but I honestly must say that I have changed in my thinking and now follow in the thoughts of Mirador. If people like LF and other Dominicans truly have the betterment of the DR in their hearts all I can say is it is going to be an uphill battle to be fought for any victories. This is due to the entrenched mentality of the typical Dominican as was further instilled after the responses to my thread concerning corruption and stealing. Now that I have a better understanding as to how their minds work I can better appreciate the workings of the Dominican Republic in all aspects of life here.

As we are on the subject of workings within the DR I wish to ask if you saw the picture in this news article today? In normal “regular business” operations I would expect those showing up for work to be properly dressed for work. Of course those out of uniform could be undercover police but I doubt it. Of course the uniform of the police and military in this country has always fascinated me in that even with those in the same unit as small as a squad don’t ever seem to have the same uniform on. Must be written in their regulations to be dressed differently to confuse the crooks or the enemy. Hehehe.

Rick

elchino

Jul 7, 2006
Of course the uniform of the police and military in this country has always fascinated me in that even with those in the same unit as small as a squad don’t ever seem to have the same uniform on. {Quote}

Rick: Perhaps this is true because these soldiers and policemen have to purchase with their own money, the uniforms and ammunition for their guns.:
The report, which has not been presented officially, recommends that there should be helicopters deployed in the region and the creation of a Border Guard::: You mean to tell me that a government that is doing his job correctly and is protecting his national boundaries will need to wait for some report to take the necessary measurement to protect that nation's sovereignty? :

Only "THOSE" governments that "ARE" not doing, or didn't do their job because of inefficiency and un-liberating agenda will have to wait for such report.: Besides, protecting the border is in the president's job description.:chinese:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Elchino, once again you seem to have pulled it out and stepped all over it. I don’t know if you just invent the things you say and expect us to believe that they are factual or what the story is but let me see if I can direct you properly as to what the actual situation is here in the DR and not as you seem to see it from across the pond;

The men and women of the organizations;
Fuerza Aérea Dominicana
Cuerpo de Aviación Naval
Ejército Nacional
Departamento Nacional de Investigaciones
Dirección Nacional de Control de Drogas
Autoridad Metropolitana de Transporte
Policía Nacional

And probably more, do not pay for their uniforms unless due to a promotion in which they are required to alter their uniform. None of them are required to buy their bullets if they are in fact allowed bullets. If there is a case of them buying bullets it is due to them wanting more then issued or because they weren’t issued any because it was determined by the powers to be that they didn’t need them. All have a health care program to include dental and a hospital dedicated to them only. There are a number of sport complexes and programs dedicated to them solely. Almost all transportation unions give free transportation service to them and there are different business establishments that give free food and drink to them. These free giveaways may be due to protection, intimidation or general welfare but the fact remains they are there.

A couple of years ago when the DR went through pay increases these increases were also applied to the National police. The fact that the majority of these monies never made it down past the ranks of the Captains can not be blamed on the president even though you may wish to place the blame there. It would be like blaming president Bush for the actions of a few leaders from the 101st in Iraq.

Pick something else as that dog won’t hunt.

Rick

elchino

Jul 7, 2006
Interviewed policeman & policewoman

Rick, I personally interviewed policeman and policewoman in "Palenque Beach" area and in Sto. Dgo. and they said they have to purchase their bullets and uniform, is as simple as that.:

Perhaps their superiors are taking the money allocated for bullets and uniforms, like many security companies do.:chinese:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
That is very possible and probable that the money is being redirected as was the money that was allocated for their pay raise. All of which further proves the corruption within and therefore the blame can't be put on any one person especially the president.

Edited to add;
Speaking of monies directed to the police I think this article points out where a lot of money is and has been wastefully going. Maybe one of the reasons crime is higher is due to the amount of police that are/are not doing the duties they were hired to do.

As I said previously, life here never ceases to amaze me......

Last edited:

elchino

Jul 7, 2006
Some 2,000 police agents have returned to headquarters from being assigned to Government agencies and private companies, but many of them were collecting paychecks without carrying out any duties, according to news report.:

Many of these agents were collecting two paychecks, is that legal? Did they violated any laws, as it may pertain to fraud to the states and the public funds? How can you get pay without working on your duties and then nobody try to collect the fraudulent paychecks you received?:
This is the pattern that needs to be broken, judicial review and potential indictment should be contemplated on these kind of cases.:

This one of the reasons Rick says, that I keep blaming the executive branch, if nobody take legal action on these cases, than who is totally responsible for the lack law enforcement? :

Who are the persons that were in charge of these agents?:

Who were they suppose to report to for duty assignment?::

This kind of corruption B.S. does not amaze me, they up-set me. Who is in charge of the government and save guard its properties?::

To resolve these kind of B.S. corruption cases the Dominican people will have to support and joint in the effort of the "PARTIDO DE LA ESPERANZA DOMINICANA".::

THE PED WILL MAKE THEN PAYBACK THE MONEY ILLEGALLY EARNED, OR GO STRAIGHT TO JAIL, NO WAY AROUND IT, THAT WILL BE GOVERNING AND IMPLEMENTING THE LAWS. THE REST IS B.S.

DOMINICANOS ESTE ES TU PAIS NO TE DEJES ENGAÑAR POR TU GOBERNANTES- UNETE AL "PARTIDO DE LA ESPERANZA DOMINICANA"- "PARA UN MEJOR PORVENIR".:chinese:

elchino

Jul 7, 2006
Create a Lawyers Regulatory Commission/ A Dominican Bar association

Indeed, the legal profession in our Dominican Republic needs to be further regulated by the creation of a model of rules of professional conduct. El Colegio De Abogados Dominicano is corrupted and is not doing a good job or serving justice or equal protection of the law.:

Lawyers, need to be tested, by the lawyers regulatory commission, for competence: A lawyer shall provide competence legal representation to clients. Competence can be assured by reflecting the required legal knowledge, skill, thoroughness and preparation reasonably necessary for the legal representation by passing the a "National Lawyer Regulatory Competence Test".:

This Lawyers Regulatory Commission shall totally regulate the legal profession in all the pertinent areas, such as:
1) Law Firms And Associations as it may pertain to e.g.:
a) Responsibilities of a partner or supervisory lawyer.
b) Responsibilities of subordinate lawyers.
And regulate the entire structure of the Law Firm.:

2) Lawyers Public Service, such as Pro Bono Publico Service, membership in Legal Services Organization.:

3) Maintaining The Integrity Of the Profession, Such as :
a) Admission and Disciplinary Matters; to the legal profession, after passing the National Lawyers Admission Test.:
There are too many rules and regulations to put forward on this thread. However , the point is clear, lawyers need to be further regulated as they are like "CHIVOS SIN LEY" at this point and time in the Dominican Republic.::

I hear about so many fraudulent legal representation, where the client is totally misrepresented and their money literally stolen, and when the case is taken to the "CARD" for a solution 99% of the times they rule in favor of the lawyer because they basic have no regard for the integrity of the profession and protect each other thus creating a totally corrupt process.:

The bottom line is that the legal profession in DR needs a major overhaul, all those crocked lawyers need to be banned from practicing law.:chinese:

rtejeda

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 16, 2006
For Your Information!

Controlling corruption is an essential part of good governance and: poverty reduction, and it poses an enormous challenge for governments all around the world. Anti corruption in Transition 2, a book by Cheryl Gray, analyzes patterns and: trends in corruption in business-government interactions in the transition economies of Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, similar corruption practices are evident in Latin America and the Caribbean. It points to some:: encouraging signs that the magnitude and negative: impact that corruption exerts on businesses may be : declining in many countries in the region. It also shows how some types of firms?most notably small private ones?encounter more corruption than others, and it underscores the importance of policy and institutional reforms in achieving long-term success in the fight against : corruption. The longer-term sustainability of recent improvements is not certain, however, and the challenges ahead remain formidable.:bunny:

elchino

Jul 7, 2006
Conflicting law?

Alcohol restriction lifted for holiday:

: Interior and Police Minister Franklin Almeyda Rancier has said that the "Restoration Day" is exempt to the Presidential decree that restricts the sale of alcoholic beverages. Thus, August 16, 2006, being a holiday, the restriction will not be applied tonight. Also excluded are Christmas and New Year's Days, and private areas located within tourist resorts. :

I will assumed that these changes to the above law are also being issued by decree. Right?

Perhaps, Rick is right, this people governing this country, will never ceased to amaze him. Some holidays are exempted from the Presidential decree that restricts the sale of alcoholic beverages. Thats what I call lack of consistency in law enforcement.

This law is suppose to save life and minimize drunk driving?: So why make exceptions? Perhaps, can the law be conflicting with tourism and night life businesses?

Legislatively speaking, doesnt the congress or the President have to amend his decree in order to make exception to a law already issued by decree?:chinese:

COÑO ESTA GENTE SI GOBIERNAN BUENO!