Soriano

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Verbiage

And the word streaky means that offense comes in spurts. Sometimes streaky players are the most dangerous to the opposing teams. I only wish Soriano played for Cincy. He's all that and more. -The Kid

Yeah, streaky is not an insult - or degrading in any way. He may hit .150 one week, and .500 the next.

Keep in mind, "streaky" is not going to be applied (very often) to someone that hits .240 at the bottom of the order, it's reserved for producers. Their production comes in heaps.

I was reading quite a bit about Soriano the past couple days and what keeps popping up in my mind is that he's been bouncing around quite a bit, always looking for the big payoff. He's got his big payoff now.

My hunch is that the Nat's aren't breathing easy with this contract. They've made an impact with an impactful player (based on history). That player was hungry, and that is NOT the case any longer.

I can't draw any parallels with Soriano as a player; Manny grew up in USA, Tejeda is a fiery leader driven to win. The money didn't affect either of these guys (performance-wise anyway).

What I'm getting at is that I wonder how - and if - AS's game will change in the future. He's no longer the "bargain" he'd been playing as, the pressure will mount, the game is going to change. It's now a real job, a chore.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Yeah, streaky is not an insult - or degrading in any way. He may hit .150 one week, and .500 the next.

Thanks, Cleef.

Now I wonder if my use of the word cachorro gave some the impression that I was degrading him. It means cub - a member of the Chicago Cubs. Elementary on my part, pero uno nunca sabe.

EMTuKnowMe

Nov 15, 2006
a priest in a poker game

I see soriano as a priest in a poker game. That is to say, from what i see of his personality, he isnt full of himself, he's just playing the game as best he can. If he is lucky enough to have people surrounding him that got him a great deal this time around, then good for him. But in a world of baseball that has been filled with steroids, game fixing, and ticket price inflation, soriano feels like a step in the right direction. who knows. maybe by someone giving him this kind of contract, showing confidence in him, will make him a more consistent player.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I wouldn't feel all that comfortable touting someone that finished 91st in MLB in on base percentage - as a leadoff man - for a team that finished 5th.

Unless of course he really is your brother. Then I could think of 136 million reasons.

Fourth player ever to reach the 40-40 club (had 4 more homers than the other three) Has reached the 30-30 club 4 seasons, only Barry and Bobby Bonds have more with 5. Although he grudgingly had to play left field he ended leading the Major Leagues with 22 assists. Not shabby.Do I think he or any other player is worth that much money, no.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I wouldn't feel all that comfortable touting someone that finished 91st in MLB in on base percentage - as a leadoff man - for a team that finished 5th.

Unless of course he really is your brother. Then I could think of 136 million reasons.

BTW by saying hermano I was referring to Something of the Night. Well there goes the 136 million reasons.:ermm:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Soriano wants to play ball

Just saw this on MLB - AS want's to play for Estrellas to tune up for the upcoming season.

Great opportunity for you islanders to see him play.

p.s. check out the new bling - and take pictures!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Behind the #'s

Fourth player ever to reach the 40-40 club (had 4 more homers than the other three) Has reached the 30-30 club 4 seasons, only Barry and Bobby Bonds have more with 5. Although he grudgingly had to play left field he ended leading the Major Leagues with 22 assists. Not shabby.Do I think he or any other player is worth that much money, no.

30 of his HR's were of the solo variety. Ouch.

Is he going to be leading off for CHC?

Soriano struck out 160 times last year and batted a mere .231 with runners in scoring position. Double ouch!

"Grudgingly"? He's horrific in the infield.

I'd expect him to be a very good OF in a few years time. 22 assists is more likely due to so many people testing him because of his lack of experience. He probably made very simple plays and throws that nailed baserunners that otherwise wouldn't have considered trying to stretch an extra base.

I didn't see any of this, but I know how numbers can lie in baseball. But, to his credit, he made 22 good throws. I just wonder how many he missed on.

Last edited:

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006

Soriano struck out 160 times last year and batted a mere .231 with runners in scoring position. Double ouch!

I'd expect him to be a very good OF in a few years time. 22 assists is more likely due to so many people testing him because of his lack of experience. He probably made very simple plays and throws that nailed baserunners that otherwise wouldn't have considered trying to stretch an extra base.

I didn't see any of this, but I know how numbers can lie in baseball. But, to his credit, he made 22 good throws. I just wonder how many he missed on.

There's an article about AS on Sunday's NYT - not too optimistic que digamos. But they do say he was probably the best of a not-so-great free agent class.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006

30 homers of the solo variety, he's the leadoff hitter for heaven sakes. You know very well who bats behind him, the pitcher and the bottom of the lineup. No surprise there.

We can throw stats back and forth. I see the glass half full you half empty, but I get the impression that you just don't like the guy??? We can agree to disagree:ermm:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
He SUCKS as a leadoff hitter

30 homers of the solo variety, he's the leadoff hitter for heaven sakes. You know very well who bats behind him, the pitcher and the bottom of the lineup. No surprise there.

We can throw stats back and forth. I see the glass half full you half empty, but I get the impression that you just don't like the guy??? We can agree to disagree:ermm:
No no. I agree. The point being is that a lot of his "staggering" stats are simply nuances of the game. He wouldn't see the pitches he sees if he had runners on base. That's the point. He's being paid like other 3/4 hitters, and he's never been that, and as a leadoff hitter he SUCKS in a big way.

He's great, an incredible athlete.

However, when it comes to being a producer and the intracacies within, there is far more to it.

Will he be as productive when he's placed deeper into the order, where it seems he'd be far more applicable?

Point being, much of his statistical gaudiness has come from a spot where he sees better pitches than he would otherwise.

I LOVE his offensive skills, but he's a borderline anomoly as it stands now. He's got numbers that you'd love to plug into a #3 hitter, but how will those challenges due him? We don't know that yet.

Don't get me wrong, I love what he does. Which, at this point is blow away what most top of the order guys do. Solo HR's are nice if they lead off a game and get the momentum, but that only carries over for an inning or so, at which point many other factors come into play.

I hope - and think - he'll do well, but he's just a part to a bigger whole. When all is said and done, teams are interested in W's. I'm not sure his guady numbers - to this point - indicate much of anything.

It seems - again, by the numbers - that he DOESN'T produce when the time is right. That's my only point. He still has much to prove to earn those astronimical dollars.

I'm giving the "laymens" approach to it all. Until you prove that you can produce when it counts, your contract is nothing but a noose for those to hang you by. CHC have a great lineup as it's now constituted, but until they win something, it's window dressing.

We won't be the only one's following his career, that's what a contract like that does. Much money, but even more scrutiny.