Sosua on the cheap (from Buffalo, NY) 5/15-20/05

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
First - I'm a single male who traveled solo. This was my fifth trip.

One can still fly (as I did) from Buffalo, NY (BUF) to Santiago (STI) for $175 round-trip ($296 w taxes) during "normal" hours (arrive and depart around noon) on Continental... but most pre-August 2005 dates are sold out at this fare. Use Travelocity's "flexible dates" feature to find dates on which the fare is offered, then book it on Continental's site (to save $5 and earn 5000+ miles).

I rented a car at STI and drove to Sosua, but for frugal DR newbies (traveling solo), I suggest taxi from STI to Caribe Tours in Santiago - then Caribe bus to Sosua - then cab from Caribe Sosua stop to hotel (total cost for all three, around $20-25). FYI - straight cabfare (STI to Sosua hotel) will be 3x that amount). This process is described in detail in other threads (Travel/General in this forum... so a search).

If you want to rent a car and drive (as I did), peruse the following LONG thread.

request for STI to Sosua driving directions

In Sosua, I stayed at the Europa (in one of their guest house apartments, across the street from the main hotel building) for $28/night, including tax ($140 total for 5 nights). My accommodations were perfectly acceptable... featuring AC, a nice pool, plus separate kitchen and bedroom. The Europa's about a 12-15 minute walk to the beach (or 3 minutes and 20 pesos via moto).

While the Europa was quite acceptable, I wish I'd stayed at Rocky's (as I did in my previous, December 2004 Sosua trip). Rocky's doesn't have the pool, AC, or in-room kitchen... but it's $10 per night less than the Europa. And even though I'm frugal, I'd choose Rocky's - even if the price was the same. Why? Because it has all three of the attributes I treasure most on my travel adventures - karma, character, and community (make that FIVE attributes ... add free wireless internet and bottomless cups of great coffee).

Rocky's rooms are basic, mind you. Ceiling fan, bed, TV, and bathroom (all remarkably clean). But outside your door is a courtyard-like "living room" (plus restaurant/bar) inhabited (all day and night) by a helpful, interesting, international cast of characters. Combine that with exceptional, affordable food, and you've got a great "home base" just 5-6 minutes from the best, most entertaining public beach I've ever visited. Two more things, Rocky's just feels SAFE - and is vrtually never affected by power outages (the place has an impressive electrical back-up system).

I spent most of my days reading junk novels beneath a shaded lounge chair (on Sosua beach) rented to me (60 pesos/day) by Tony (calls himself Tony Baloney). Tony's "zone" is in front of stalls 63-64. He'll bring you food and drinks upon request (without outrageous "mark-ups"), and will watch your personal items (camera, etc.) if you go for a walk or a swim.

All told - I enjoyed five days in paradise - and spent...
$300 (flight) + $150 (car & gas) + $140 (lodging) = $590 (all necessities).
For food & drink, one can easily "get by" for $20-35/day.

My final advice - if considering a trip to the DR - try the north coast, and skip the all-inclusives.

Hope this helps someone else plan his/her adventure.

macmasher

A

apostropheman

Wow!

apparantly i've been cloned! i have stayed at Rocky's the last 3 times and will do so again next trip. (MARCO check your email) I also would not stay elsewhere for the same reasons and more. i also like the security and the friendship. i feel totally at home there and consider them my family.

i also flew from buffalo in may for $450 CAD for 11 days. i had planned on doing the same in October, $367 CAD for 8 days, but find i'm moving a few hours north and east of where i am now. the good news is that i can fly to sti from syracuse for slightly less, $361 CAD all in for 8 days, and on virtually the same schedule giuve or take 10 minutes.

compare the prices with canadian charters out of toronto at $675+ CAD, just airfare, and see how wonderful it is to fly continental fron the USA.

i've never stayed all-inclusive and can't see a reason why i would even consider it. atleast as long as the airfare is so reasonable and marco is at Rocky's!

i also love the beach and usually stay at siempre sol, herman's bar. they will also deliver to the lower beach and the drinks and food are great and priced right. the friendship offered there is also a major factor for me. i've been there virtually every day i've spent in the DR.

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
macmaster, another good posting. I agree, Rocky's is a great place to eat, drink, and be merry. The bottomless coffee is great. My only gripe was that I thought the coffee tasted more like American coffee than Dominican coffee; although most mornings I was in a recovery mode and couldn't taste the difference.

BTW, you may want to edit your link to go directly to you posting regrading the directions rather than the beginning of the thread:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=300821&postcount=38

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
RAGS or RICHES

macmasher said:
First - I'm a single male who traveled solo. This was my fifth trip.

One can still fly (as I did) from Buffalo, NY (BUF) to Santiago (STI) for $175 round-trip ($296 w taxes) during "normal" hours (arrive and depart around noon) on Continental... but most pre-August 2005 dates are sold out at this fare. Use Travelocity's "flexible dates" feature to find dates on which the fare is offered, then book it on Continental's site (to save $5 and earn 5000+ miles).

I rented a car at STI and drove to Sosua, but for frugal DR newbies (traveling solo), I suggest taxi from STI to Caribe Tours in Santiago - then Caribe bus to Sosua - then cab from Caribe Sosua stop to hotel (total cost for all three, around $20-25). FYI - straight cabfare (STI to Sosua hotel) will be 3x that amount). This process is described in detail in other threads (Travel/General in this forum... so a search).

If you want to rent a car and drive (as I did), peruse the following LONG thread.

request for STI to Sosua driving directions

In Sosua, I stayed at the Europa (in one of their guest house apartments, across the street from the main hotel building) for $28/night, including tax ($140 total for 5 nights). My accommodations were perfectly acceptable... featuring AC, a nice pool, plus separate kitchen and bedroom. The Europa's about a 12-15 minute walk to the beach (or 3 minutes and 20 pesos via moto).

While the Europa was quite acceptable, I wish I'd stayed at Rocky's (as I did in my previous, December 2004 Sosua trip). Rocky's doesn't have the pool, AC, or in-room kitchen... but it's $10 per night less than the Europa. And even though I'm frugal, I'd choose Rocky's - even if the price was the same. Why? Because it has all three of the attributes I treasure most on my travel adventures - karma, character, and community (make that FIVE attributes ... add free wireless internet and bottomless cups of great coffee).

Rocky's rooms are basic, mind you. Ceiling fan, bed, TV, and bathroom (all remarkably clean). But outside your door is a courtyard-like "living room" (plus restaurant/bar) inhabited (all day and night) by a helpful, interesting, international cast of characters. Combine that with exceptional, affordable food, and you've got a great "home base" just 5-6 minutes from the best, most entertaining public beach I've ever visited. Two more things, Rocky's just feels SAFE - and is vrtually never affected by power outages (the place has an impressive electrical back-up system).

I spent most of my days reading junk novels beneath a shaded lounge chair (on Sosua beach) rented to me (60 pesos/day) by Tony (calls himself Tony Baloney). Tony's "zone" is in front of stalls 63-64. He'll bring you food and drinks upon request (without outrageous "mark-ups"), and will watch your personal items (camera, etc.) if you go for a walk or a swim.

All told - I enjoyed five days in paradise - and spent...
$300 (flight) + $150 (car & gas) + $140 (lodging) = $590 (all necessities).
For food & drink, one can easily "get by" for $20-35/day.

My final advice - if considering a trip to the DR - try the north coast, and skip the all-inclusives.

Hope this helps someone else plan his/her adventure.

macmasher
Been there, done that....For $600 you can fly from Hartford direct 5 days in Punta Cana AI. You don't worry about AC or pools, It comes with it all...and for kitchens...who needs em, you have several resturants to pick from, again all included.....not to mention all your booze. The only thing you might be missing are all the hookers and expats.

IT'S A NO BRAINER

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Fly

You can save alot of time and trouble...Fly AirSanto Domingo or Air Domca for about 50 bucks and 30 minutes. Cab from POP to Sosua.....unless your on a tight budget...

dickie_baby

Aug 20, 2005
Flying with Continental

This is my first time flying to DR with continental. Do they sell - distribute tourist cards on the flight, or do you have to wait till you are in the airport.
I am a mom travelling with two young children. (7 months and 4 years old)
I amdmire your travel, and if I were alone it would be so great, but when I have nore than myself to get from point A - B, All inclusive works for the hotel.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
dickie_baby said:
This is my first time flying to DR with continental. Do they sell - distribute tourist cards on the flight, or do you have to wait till you are in the airport.
I amdmire your travel, and if I were alone it would be so great, but when I have nore than myself to get from point A - B, All inclusive works for the hotel.
You might want to start a post with this same question, as this is an old thread.
I have taken flights where they give you the tourist card on the airplane, and others that didn't.
There may be somebody who has flown with Continental recently who could answer your question.

A

apostropheman

i flew continental into santiago in may and had to buy a tourist card. i think it was $10. on the way home i did not have to pay the $20 departure fee.

in the past i flew a charter and it was the reverse. the $10 tourist card was included but the $20 exit fee/tax, whatever it is was not.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
dickie_baby said:
Assuming you are flying from Newark, Continental sells the tourist cards at Newark airport. They charge $11 instead of the $10 you would pay if you bought them in the Santo Doming airport.

jimmynj116

Aug 16, 2005
Tourist Card?

Not to sound dumb or anything, but what is a tourist card? I am flying Continental out of Newark in Sept.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jimmynj116 said:
Not to sound dumb or anything, but what is a tourist card? I am flying Continental out of Newark in Sept.
It's a document you need, to go through immigration in almost any country you go to, where you are not a resident.
Often refered to as a tourist visa.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Rocky said:
It's a document you need, to go through immigration in almost any country you go to, where you are not a resident.
Often refered to as a tourist visa.

I thought it was a Dominican particularity, an on the spot tourist tax, in what countries do they have them as well? I've been all over Europe and the US (yes, a visa waiver, but free), but never had to get anything like a tourist card/visa.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
qgrande said:
I thought it was a Dominican particularity, an on the spot tourist tax, in what countries do they have them as well? I've been all over Europe and the US (yes, a visa waiver, but free), but never had to get anything like a tourist card/visa.
I thought it was common to most, if not all countries, but I'm no expert.
Certainly Cuba, Haiti & here, that I can remember.
Sometimes, the fee is included in your airfare, so it's possible to receive the tourist card and not have to hand over any money at that time, as it is already paid for.
It's such a small amount of money that I never really paid attention to it.

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
Still around, BUF-STI @ $290 inluding tax

I had to pay the $10 upon arrival - but not the $20 going out (in May 2005).

And as long as my old thread has been resurrected...
That same Continental BUF-STI $290 fare (including tax) is STILL available on select dates throughout Fall 2005. I'm toying with a 9/22-26 trip.

An odd, but great fare. I suspect it has to do with JetBlue competition on comparable dates (since they too do the BUF-STI route - but at goofy hours).

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
jimmynj116 said:
It's been a fixture in traveling into the DR since at least the early 1980's. It initially was meant to finance the construction of new airports. In the beginning the tourist card was attached to a picture postcard of the DR. So when you paid for the tourist card you at least thought you got something for your dollars (I believe it was $5 then). I don't know how much of the tourist card fees actually went to airport construction, but I must admit that the airport situation in the DR has improved greatly over the years.