Sosua to SDQ driving directions

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Travel time, depending on traffic in POP and Santiago can be about three hours or less.

Simplest way is to take the highway to POP, go to Santiago, go straight on the same road you came in on from the west....After the elevated roadway (Flyway for Brits) stay on the right. After the first light, bear to the right. At the next light (you are near the junctions of highways and avenues) you turn left, and you are on the highway to Santo Domingo...

From Santiago to Santo Domingo is usually about 1:30-1:45 at a good clip...

Depends on where you are going in Santo Domingo, too....

Cordially,

HB

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
if you are going to airport,you are better off going through Nagua and towards Sanchez,take new highway to SD,and it ends about 5 min from Airport...no need to travel all across the city to get to airport...time is almost the same...and safer..
bob

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
if you are going to airport,you are better off going through Nagua and towards Sanchez,take new highway to SD,and it ends about 5 min from Airport...no need to travel all across the city to get to airport...time is almost the same...and safer..
bob

Time is at least an hour less this way, and less stressful.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
See? This is great news, and except for the fact that it costs a few hundred pesos in tolls, could be a winner for you folks up North.

East out of Sosua, follow your nose to the highway connection, turn left when you get to Las Americas Highway, pay yet another toll and there you are.

I think the difference is about $15 US one way...and time....if the estimates are correct.

HB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Going from Sosua you need to turn left at the park in Nagua. There is a sign that says to Samana. Then follow the road as it bears right a bit. If you do not make the turn at the park you will end up in El Factor, and SF Macoris further down.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Thanks so much...I don't mind the pesos....so we are in agreement that the new highway is the easier and faster route?
If so, any more specifics would be greatly appreciated as I usually get lost.

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
I don't know, from Sosua to SD it takes more than 2 hours! Whom said it goes faster??
From Sosua to Puerto Plata it takes 20minutes. To Navarette it takes 30 minutes.
Than you are almost in Santiago and depending at what time, it takes another 2 hours to SD. Than you cross the capital. Can be done in 30 minutes, or in 3 hours. Depending when you come to SD. After 7am? Forget it!!
Go the new highway via Samana, don't care about pesos for Peaje. Each peso is worth it!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So it's about 2 hours from SDQ to Sosua on this highway?

We are talking about going to LAS from Sosua. The old way would be one hour more that the new road easily, probably more. You have to take into consideration the fact that with the new road you avoid all the SD traffic in the city, as you come out right at the airport.

As far as you making it from Sosua to LAS in three hours on a weekday going through Santiago, not possible. I have made it from Sosua to LAS on a seekday in under 2 1/2 hours on the new road without going crazy. This is one hour less than the old way easily.

Sep 19, 2005
I also agree that going from Sosua to the airport in SD via Santiago and Santo Doming, is much more than 3 hours...it could be 4.5 hours.

you could get hung up in santiago for 45 minutes alone , the same or worse for Santo Domingo.

this new route sounds like a winner..... I personally would take the Moca road and Bypass Santiago, and then just have to deal with Santo Domingo traffic( which can be brutal) if there was not this new route to explore.

I went from Santiago to the Malecon in Santo Domingo and I hit zero traffic up to SD and it wasnt that bad even in town.. and I was doing 75 mph average on the trip( up to SD)..and it still took 1.5 hours. which I thought was good time.

if you go from sosua through Santiago VIA route 5 , you are talking 1-3/4 at the BEST and usually 2+ hours.

if you go anywhere in the afternoon through either big city. you will die in traffic during the week.

best of luck

but it seems a long drive even if the road is good to be only 2 hours sosua-the airport via Nagua on the new highway....

bad bad bob

bad bob

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
Experience

My experience has been this:

1. If you travel on the new Autopista through Nagua from POP airport, the total travel time to SDQ is about 2.5 hrs on a slick day (correct hours), and 3.0 - 3.5 hrs to central Santo Domingo on a stupid day.

2. Going through both Puerto Plata and Santiago, the trip to Sto Domongo is about 3.5 - 4.0 hrs (realistically).

Your problems are these: If you take the eastern route (Through Nagua) takes you east of SDQ airport by about 8 KM... The Western route through Puerto Plata and Santiago takes you to the Western end of Santo Domingo on Avenida John F. Kennedy...

If you choose the correct time, the Western route (though longer) can actually take less time to get to central Sto Domingo, say, Avenida 27 de Febrero and Maximo Gomez, where as the Eastern route (taking you cross the NIGHTMARE bridge) gets you to the same spot MUCH quicker on good days and an HOUR later on a bad day).

As far as policia, the Eastern route along the new highway is MUCH better. The trip along the coast road through Puerto Plata, then Santiago City, then la Autopista sur through Bonao to Santo Domingo is a real experience. Taking the more scenic and local Western route, expect to see PN policia all along the highway from Santiago to Bonao, in NEW vehicles (many motocycletas) and if you are unlucky, a roadblock stop in the construction zone north of Bonao... This is both fun and exhilarating if you know the ropes, but can be a nightmare if you are a newbie...

Advice: Take the modern highway south through Nagua from POP airport if you want easy, hassle-free cruising... I am a masochist. I actually enjoy the trip through Bonao... Miguel Fernandez (El Colonel) es mi amigo!!!

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
Can someone help me out and please send me the directions from Santo Domingo to the Sosua Banco Popular in Spanish. I have a friend driving up from there next weekend and she doesn't understand what I am telling her in English. Any help would be great. I am trying to explain to her how to get to my apartment.

She speaks english but really wants in spanish.

Thanks

Erin