Sosua vs. Cabarete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
If you are a younger person Cabarete is the place ..... If you are older Sosua is for you.

This is the comment that I found non-sensical.

Escott said:
Different strokes for different folks. Doesn't make your opinion any more valid..... Personally I don't think Cabarete is for me no matter what age I would be.

This, I agree with. The general profile of people visiting Cabarete and people visiting Sosua is quite different - and this is an observable fact, not an opinion - and the differences are not based on age, but rather based on preference in terms of things to do. Just as simple as that.

I get to both towns just about daily, and the differences are truly remarkable for two towns so close to one another.

(And even I can see that the girls in Cabarete are more beautiful than the girls in Sosua) ;)

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Definitely Cabarete

Cabarete is the place to be during the day with its windsurfers crowd, at night on the beach/bars. Sosua is definitely cheaper (restaurant, food, exchange, drinks) but unless you are looking to score with teenage dominican girls, there is nothing else but a nice beach, no night life at all for someone in 20s-30s.

Cabarete has the right crowd, it's lively, people in a good mood. There are a good number of accomodations on the beach that are beach and decent for vacationing such as SansSoucis appts.

Definitely spend some time in both cities, they are so much different.

Enjoy the DR as much as we all do.

beano

Oct 29, 2003
For me, it's definitely Cabarete. Though, I do agree with most of the criticsms. In my opinion, the beach at Cabarete is much cleaner and offers many more options for recreation. The beach at Sosua is full of much more aggressive hawkers, putrid smelling pay toilets, and much less sand. But, Sosua is definitely worth a days exploration. It is a town, where as Cabarete a traffic jam that has managed to attract some good restaurants and bars. You can't go wrong with either.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Balance Cabarete and Sosua

As said in previous posts the two are about 10 min apart by guagua or motoconcho. Both are nicetowns.

Activities. If you're into a more active holiday (kitesurfing, surfing)try Cabarete. Diving pretty much happens out of Sosua.

Nightlife. The more laid back stuff, with a younger/more informal crowd I found in Cabarete. The real happening nightlife (clubbing) would be in Puerto Plata anyway. Take a cab for $300-350 if you're a good bargainer!

Beach. Both are good, although I like Cabarete better.

Costs. Cabarete is more expensive. Try to save money on shopping and go to the campo between Cabarete and Sosua, but you gotta speak Spanish!

Both places are swarmed by beach salespeople. Just say no in a polite way.

Hope this helps,

MD

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
You can't really swim at Cabarete Beach - it's too rough. The town is swarming with super-fit wiindsurfing Germans and and walking there is like being stuck in the middle of Manhattan. Otherwise Cabarete is great. Sosua is cooler and more laid back, but perhaps it requires a little of the maturity and sophistication that we of the older crowd possess. - D

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I don't think Cabarete's beach is even nearly as nice as Sosua's. The sand is too grainy, the current is too strong, the water too shallow.... bleh.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Chris said:
This is the comment that I found non-sensical.

This, I agree with. The general profile of people visiting Cabarete and people visiting Sosua is quite different - and this is an observable fact, not an opinion - and the differences are not based on age, but rather based on preference in terms of things to do. Just as simple as that.

I get to both towns just about daily, and the differences are truly remarkable for two towns so close to one another.

(And even I can see that the girls in Cabarete are more beautiful than the girls in Sosua) ;)
Well Cabarete is definately a younger crowd. What is to disagree with pertaining to that? You don't believe my observation? I personally like hanging out with more mature people than you generally find in Cabarete. Not that there aren't old farts there also!

There are probably more whores per capita in Cabarete than Sosua and they AINT any better looking in my humble opinion.

I go to both places regularly also.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Chris said:
And even I can see that the girls in Cabarete are more beautiful than the girls in Sosua
So! You've been hanging out with those ugly black hookers AZB keeps complaining about!

Me? I am just gald that I am considered young enough by the inteligentsia of DR1 to still want to hang out in Cabarete and not Sosua. All you Sosua lovers, give me twenty more years or so and I will start singing your tune! Not!

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
Seriously ... Sosua is great, and, so is Cabarete. Please see both. But from your description of your likes and dislikes, my opinion is that you will enjoy Cabarete more at this point in your life - as I do. Everything is much closer, more compact, which is what you said you wanted. Sosua beach is calmer lots of shops, but there are more, and more insistent people hawking their wares, and the shops are little tiny shacks, not nice restaurants. Go to Cabarete, take a day trip to Sosua. If I am wrong I will by you some cheap, low class, 'ripple' wine next trip as an apology. You may not like it, but at least you will be pleasantly blizted!

P.P.S.
'BEANO' had the most accurate description I have seen ... "In my opinion, the beach at Cabarete is much cleaner and offers many more options for recreation. The beach at Sosua is full of much more aggressive hawkers, putrid smelling pay toilets, and much less sand. But, Sosua is definitely worth a days exploration. It is a town, where as Cabarete a traffic jam that has managed to attract some good restaurants and bars. You can't go wrong with either."

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
OK guys it's over. Rachael has allready been here and left. She and hubby had a great vacation. It was too difficult to chose between Sosua and Cabarete so they went to Playa Grande. LOL

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
You like cheap beer, beerbellies, grab girls asses and crystal clear water for swiming----> Sosua

You like beautiful young people, expensive drinks, surfing, sand, that's so fine, it goes everywhere and makes the water look dirty ---->Cabarete

Rachael S

Dec 15, 2003
I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to start a fight :)

Based on the number of votes, the winner appears to be Cabarete. Now comes the time-consuming task of selecting a hotel...

Thanks, everyone, for all of your input regarding this matter.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Don't worry Rachael, nobody was fighting. This happens all the time. That's what makes DR1, not only the most informative but the most entertaining. You get the information you want and have fun getting it. Both places are OK. I'm sure you'll have a great vacation. Enjoy it but do visit Sosua. As for hotels, I'm sure the Cabarete posters can help you. That is if some of them survived the "Crossing" of the highway. Hope to get to meet you. Eddy

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If this was consider a wote, I defenitly give a Wote to Sosua. I think Sosua is better in all ways, and that also includes the beach.
I realy cant understand how people can say that the beach in Cabarete is better. (unless you are a surfer)

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Regarding Cabarete Hotels

If budget is not your primary concern, The Velero wins hands down. My other favorite place is the Palm Beach Condos, very nice units, beautifully maintained gardens, and right on the beach in the middle of everything. It's not as quiet as the Velero.

BTW, Cabarete smokes Sosua, but be sure to visit there.

Karl

Jan 1, 2002
Glad to hear that Palm Beach Condos is on your list, i just rented a condo for the month of feb. 04 , cant wait to get down there and get away from this cold.

Miko

May 23, 2003
you may want to check

out Cabarete Beach Houses (Nanny Estate).
I don't know about your budget. Its 10-15 minutes walking distance from town by the beach, just enough not to get all the noise.
The web site:
www.cabaretebeachhouses.com
I know you will love Cabarete (and Sosua is worth a day trip in):cool:

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Cabarete or Sosua

You have confused poor Rachael,

As a person wh has been to both and I consider myself being young at heart , but not in age:)) I must say, I wouls still prefer the swimmming in Sosua, but the walking and the partying is much better in Cabarete.

Now for the best hotel in Cabaret, I think you should consider Magnifico

The rooms are fantastic, so is the decor and the rates for what you get. Although I market the Nanny's Estate also, but I would say that the Magnifico is by far superior then Nanny's and also ocean front.

If you like to spend a bit more, check out their Presidential Penthouse, it is breathtaking and you would never get a rate like that anywhere in the world for what you get: close to 3,000 sq.ft -2 story room and a ocean view terrace of close to 2,500 sq.ft.

All I have to say it is magnific.
If you need more help, just drop me a line;)
All the best and happy travels.

Happy Holidays to all and all the best wishes.
See you all in DR very soon.
Rimma

rickkamm

Nov 28, 2003
CABARETE

I am 57, my wife is 56. We spent a week in Cabarete and had a great time. A great beach, miles long, lots of good people of all ages, very relaxed atmosphere. The town, is what it is, there largely to service the tourists, so it leaves something to be desired if you are looking for a Dominican experience. But, we had a great time, ate several good restaruants. We are generally not late night people but that was no problem. I would recommend it highly

Status
Not open for further replies.