Sosua: Where can I buy these foods?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
YAYYYY to DR1!!!! On my list was bagels so all sorts of people were PM'ing me how to make bagels from scratch and different recipies. I just made the MOST delicious bagels with glutan free whole wheat bread flour, sundried tomatoes, onions, flax seed and a couple of other things. Best bagel I have every eaten... and I made it myself!!! Guess sometimes its better not to be lazy and buy it premade and just make it yourself.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yep - you re-affirmed my thought on the bars and OMG are you right about the tune. I make salads with tuna all the time and I recall a can of solid white tune in water at Playero equated to almost $4 USD. I can get that here for $1.60 per/can. Lifesaver - thank you

jose luis has bonito del norte tuna in glass jars. few pieces inside. and the price? nearly 1000 pesos.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Too much sodium in canned food. I try to stay way from it as much as possible. Fresh is preferred otherwise frozen. I brought back some Mrs Dash seasoning and I am trying to use it in place of salt. For some reason this past year the sodium in foods has gotten to me.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
YAYYYY to DR1!!!! On my list was bagels so all sorts of people were PM'ing me how to make bagels from scratch and different recipies. I just made the MOST delicious bagels with glutan free whole wheat bread flour, sundried tomatoes, onions, flax seed and a couple of other things. Best bagel I have every eaten... and I made it myself!!! Guess sometimes its better not to be lazy and buy it premade and just make it yourself.

Sosua needs a bagel shop. And muffins.

May 29, 2006
They do it in Cabarete...

Maybe it could be done overnight in one of the town's many pizza shops. They'd need a kettle for boiling and a freezer cabinet for the dough. (I worked a bagel oven in Oregon 20 years ago making 5,000 a night...)

A 50 pound bag of flour would make about 600 bagels. Maybe if they got the hotels..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So I sent someone into Playero and there were some things either not there or ridiculous prices. Hoping for some help. Where can I buy:

- Chick peas
- Granola
- Pita Bread
- Bagels in bulk
- Canned oranges

I am talking grocery store prices or bakery possibly compatiable with grocery store type prices. Chick peas is the biggest problem on the list

canned oranges? in the caribbean? exactly why?

May 29, 2006
Can someone post a good bagel recipe? Now that I have found some bread flour I am interested in doing more.

The DR flour did not work well for bread.

I'll post on the recipe thread. But be warned, it's a LOT of work if you're just making a dozen or so.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I'll post on the recipe thread. But be warned, it's a LOT of work if you're just making a dozen or so.

Aint that the truth - it took me almost an hour to make 5 yesterday LOL. Here's hoping that I get a little bit faster in time.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The issue is the baking soda in the water bath reacts with the aluminum cookware. Some recipes suggest that for true, authentic bagels they should be boiled in a lye solution which I think would be even worse.

Use teflon, or even pizza stones if you have them. If all you have is an aluminum tray, then line it with parchment paper - if you have it. The reaction is worse obviously in the boiling process, that's why I suggested that if possible don't use aluminum sheets.

:classic:
mob

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The issue is the baking soda in the water bath reacts with the aluminum cookware. Some recipes suggest that for true, authentic bagels they should be boiled in a lye solution which I think would be even worse.

Use teflon, or even pizza stones if you have them. If all you have is an aluminum tray, then line it with parchment paper - if you have it. The reaction is worse obviously in the boiling process, that's why I suggested that if possible don't use aluminum sheets.

:classic:
mob

thanks.

actually, i have read articles where the bagels which are boiled in the lye solution are the best..

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
In case it wasn't clear, when I said worse in relation to the lye solution, I meant that I thought the reaction with the cookware would be worse, not the end product. ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i kinda got the idea, but just mentioned what i did because many people might get a bit squeamish when they hear that their food was prepared using lye..