Spaghetti

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Dominican made pasta has nothing to do with pasta as we know it. It is not the correct flour and not pressed correctly. Unfortunately many Dominicans cook the pasta until it is so soft that it literally falls apart. Whenever I am at a place that has a buffet I always steer away from the pasta salad as I know it will be nothing but mush. There are many good Italian brands of pastas here and even some decent Spanish brands. I like my pasta al dente (al diente in Spanish) and I always need to make sure that whatever restaurant I go to that they understand what it means! I buy Dominican pasta for my dogs and that is the only reason why it would be found in my house!!

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
I know for most all of us there is no comparison. But I came across this article the other day and thought it was "entertaining".

Dominican Spaghetti Vs Italian: What's The Difference?​

Loads of differences. A good portion of Dominicans (not including myself on this) love the amount of sauce, condiments and additional ingredients to their "Espaguetis".

- The red sauce (is the specialty in most of the DR houses)

- Spaguetti and Tostones. An all day meal for most houses here.

- Loads of ingredients: veggies, peppers, parsley, olives, cilantro, are included to enhance the flavor on the sauce

- It's a sacrilege if not served with proteins like salami, chicken, ground beef

- Poor dominicans consider Espaguetis and white rice a delicacy when things are scarce

- The "carbonara version" is the nightmare for those lactose intolerant: loads of cream milk, prego and more milk

- And in recent decades things are more "creative": Spaguetti and Tuna, Spaguetti and Sardines aka "Espagueti and Pica Pica"

- And the breakfast for champions for construction workers: Espagueti with fried Salami and Guineitos at 7AM.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
- And the breakfast for champions for construction workers: Espagueti with fried Salami and Guineitos at 7AM.

Free zone workers as well. We gave free breakfast to the workers at 7 (work starts at 8. See what we did there? LOL)

Our cooks made huge vats of it every morning. They would always want as much as would fit on a plate.

Happy workers = increased productivity and less tardiness.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I’ll sum it all up here: tomato paste must be fried off. It is added to a sofrito and fried off as the base of a sugo. Never, never add tomato paste to an already prepared product!

Reactions: flyinroom

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I put tomato paste in my Chili.
Hijo has it right.
If you want the tomato paste to be adding "umami" to your dish it must be caramelized once your sofrito has been well softened.
And then...don't forget to deglaze your pan/pot with your favorite flavor enhancer...I use sherry.

Reactions: Buzz65

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I have never been a fan of Dominican spaghetti. Seen many versions of it but have never liked it. Always way too salty for me, and if it has evaporated milk in it, forget it. I too have seen ketchup used along with corn, cut up "hot dogs", things one would never associate with spaghetti. Lol...AE I am sure being Italian you cringe at seeing Dominican
the spaghetti I always seem to get has some form of mystery red sauce... and always has tuna fish and salami.......

Reactions: JD Jones

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Punta Italia I guess you are talking about. Restaurant and Italian Deli. Best Pizza in the DR with wood oven fireplace burning...............
image0.jpeg

No. This place is amazing . right next store to BM Cargo

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I put tomato paste in my Chili.
This would be the same process as a sugo or Bolognese: The sofrito is prepared, meat added and seared, then paste (about 10 min to fry off paste with meat and sofrito). After paste is fried off, add your tomatoes, water and other desired seasonings.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hijo has it right.
If you want the tomato paste to be adding "umami" to your dish it must be caramelized once your sofrito has been well softened.
And then...don't forget to deglaze your pan/pot with your favorite flavor enhancer...I use sherry.

Exactly. I learned it watching Mario Batali cook about 20 years ago. He called it adding another layer of flavor.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Hijo has it right.
Uff, Sherry in a red sauce?? Are you Canadian? Only a good dry red goes into the sugo - Sangiovese is my go-to. And remember cugine, alcohol goes into the meat or the sofrito, never a liquid product

Reactions: Buzz65

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I have never been a fan of Dominican spaghetti. Seen many versions of it but have never liked it. Always way too salty for me, and if it has evaporated milk in it, forget it. I too have seen ketchup used along with corn, cut up "hot dogs", things one would never associate with spaghetti. Lol...AE I am sure being Italian you cringe at seeing Dominican spaghetti.
To qualify for a true Dominican spaghetti, you must do the following:
1 - Boil the pasta until it becomes a paste
2 - Use the same veg and herbs that are used in EVERY other Dom dish: green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, cliantro, sazon liquido, sazon completo and sopita (some fry up some chuleta here also)
3 - Make sure everything is raw and all mixed in with the pasty spaghetti
4 - Add tomato paste, corn (optional) carnation milk into the finished product, stir to incorporate until you have a soupy mess!

• Love
Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Uff, Sherry in a red sauce?? Are you Canadian? Only a good dry red goes into the sugo - Sangiovese is my go-to. And remember cugine, alcohol goes into the meat or the sofrito, never a liquid product
First of all...
Greetings from the Great White North.
Now...
Not all sofritos, with caramelized tomato paste, are the basis of a red sauce.
There are many applications where deglazing with sherry is the way to go. (my bbq baked beans for one)
If, however, I were preparing a red sauce I would definitely deglaze the pot/pan with a nice dry Merlot.
:cool:

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
looked couldnt find a "good" pasta at la sirena in puerto plata. still looking for suggestions there or jumbo

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
First of all...
Greetings from the Great White North.
Now...
Not all sofritos, with caramelized tomato paste, are the basis of a red sauce.
There are many applications where deglazing with sherry is the way to go. (my bbq baked beans for one)
If, however, I were preparing a red sauce I would definitely deglaze the pot/pan with a nice dry Merlot.
:cool:
Master Chef Canada