spammed by La Central

J

Jenna

La Central, YOU should remove us.

We didn't ask for your emails.

I'm not very happy that you took my address off this board.

I also think, since we didn't ask for you emails, you are the one who needs to go back and remove us. Not the other way around.

T

Tom F.

Re: Invitation

I deleted the email as soon as I received it. I went on your web page and it was not easy to locate where to send you a message. Let's see if you take me off you mailing list.

T

Tom F.

Rob

You spoke of them providing a good service, so it is OK for them to send unsolicited email to people who post on your message board. I am almost a daily user of this message board, being it helps me keep up with life in the DR. I may resort to limiting myself to the daily new briefs if this sort of activity is approved by those who manage the web site.

D

DR1

Re: Rob

I never said I approved of them sending "unsolicited" email.
I cannot stop people harvesting email addresses and using them, we are NOT responsible for any unsolicited email you may have received. If you choose not to post here for something we have no control over, thats your decision.

I have emailed LA Central and asked them to reply directly on this message board how they obtained the email addresses.

Bottom line

I think the messages speak for themselves...
It looks like sending unsolicited email does you more harm than good.

Rob.

G

Greg

There are spiders specially designed to search all web pages out there for the @ character. As soon as they find one, they add it to a spamming service list.

G

Greg

ABSOLUTELY NOT

You should immediately remove all emails addresses from your list that you got without EXPRESSLY being given permission. The game of "I spam you and then you send me an email to remove from list" is not acceptable net etiquette.

Tread carefully here. Internet users are sick of spam and have long memories about this.

J

JenNY

Something more is a little fishy!!!!

Anytime DR1 sends out a email newsletter, I get 2. I never bothered to ask them to remove one of my email addresses, because I delete one and welcome the other.. no big deal! Now, Yesterday, I received 4 LaCentrals! So now, there has to be some connection of their list and DR1's list..

What's going on here?!?! Most complained of getting 2 each..I got 4.. What's the connection??

Too Fishy!

D

DR1

A reply.....

La Central did not get your email address directly from DR1.
Nothing "fishy" on our part!

As I have already said, it's very easy to harvest email addresses from web sites. Many software packages do this automatically for you, just point it at the URL and away it goes.

I suggest you email them directly and complain, they are the people that spammed you.

If you get two newsletters from DR1 this is because you subscribed with two separate email addresses or mail is being forwarded to another address automatically. Email me the address you want deleted and I will delete it.

Rob.

G

Gunnar

Re: Not possible...

I also got two. Interesting to notice is that the To: address
(in my mails at least) is "vargas@lacentralexpress.com", NOT
my own address. From field is same, but with another "free text
alias". Doubt you can do that with any Microsoft utilities,
but it's of course peanuts in sendmail (unix). Thus - a
forwarder with a mailinglist. I'll offer them to tidy up
their programs...

G

Gunnar

Re: A reply.....

Don't think that's the point. In several cases, I also
get two copies of (sometimes solicited, sometimes not) same
mails, to SAME address (mine). It just seems that some
sloppy, undergraduate self-approved "programming expert"
have been to (censured word, begins with an 'f') lazy
to check the program output for duplicates! The amazing thing
is that unsuspecting users continue to buy/use such blatantly
underperforming products.
Can only say that if a "programmer" got intellectual problems
to cope with quicksort, try bubblesort. A modestly trained
chimp should be able to understand the workings of that one!

P.S. This is NO pun on Rob/DR1, but on sloppy programmers! D.S.

J

JenNY

Rob,

First of all no need to get so huffy. I didn't mean to say DR1 had anything to do it, but they could have hacked it somehow.. They aren't giving any information. And second of all.. I KNOW why i'm getting two.. I have 2 email addresses that go to the same mailbox...I SAID that it DOESN'T bother me to get 2 from DR1 and I know that I had subscribed and used more than one email address.. it was MY FAULT!!

Jen

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Easy to do

It can easily be done with just about any mail package, including Outlook or Outlook Express. The sender sends to themself, and BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) to a list of people. It keeps the receivers from receiving the sender list. The FROM field can be any E-mail address you want it to be.

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

same to me i think. Because when Iam in germany; i use the eMail adress of my provider there, here in Dominican Republic, I use my codetel adress and international a gmx adress. Thats why its make 6 i get......., because all double. I did not pay attention to the adress, just throw it in the "garbage.
cu/charly