spanish-cuban couple found murdered in gascue

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
OK Frank. How about an inside watch dog, say, A German Shepherd. This did not take long. Apparently it was, as usual, an inside job. From Dominican Today

Police investigate suspect in Gascue murders
The Police are investigating Joel Antonio Mañón Pimentel (Cacón), who is a suspect in the murder of retired Spanish citizens, 85 year old Carlos Carrera and his 70-year old wife Carmen. The bodies of the victims were found on Tuesday, 27 June 2017 in the afternoon.

The Police suspect the apartment janitor and Mañón. The couple, who were stabbed to death, lived in the Residencial El Escorial, apt. 1-A, on Rosa Duarte Street. The forensics scientists suspect the bodies had been undiscovered approximately seven hours after the crime.

Mañón was handed over to the authorities by the president of the neighborhood board where he lives with the intermediation of TV investigative journalist Alicia Ortega. Mañón was described by neighbors as a person who has not had been in trouble before. He was taken to the homicides department at Police headquarters for processing. The parents of the young man are also being investigated.

The assailants stole the car of the couple and abandoned it in Los Alcarrizos.
Also sought in the case is Francisco Durán Rosario.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
OK Frank. How about an inside watch dog, say, A German Shepherd. This did not take long. Apparently it was, as usual, an inside job. From Dominican Today

Police investigate suspect in Gascue murders
The Police are investigating Joel Antonio Mañón Pimentel (Cacón), who is a suspect in the murder of retired Spanish citizens, 85 year old Carlos Carrera and his 70-year old wife Carmen. The bodies of the victims were found on Tuesday, 27 June 2017 in the afternoon.

The Police suspect the apartment janitor and Mañón. The couple, who were stabbed to death, lived in the Residencial El Escorial, apt. 1-A, on Rosa Duarte Street. The forensics scientists suspect the bodies had been undiscovered approximately seven hours after the crime.

Mañón was handed over to the authorities by the president of the neighborhood board where he lives with the intermediation of TV investigative journalist Alicia Ortega. Mañón was described by neighbors as a person who has not had been in trouble before. He was taken to the homicides department at Police headquarters for processing. The parents of the young man are also being investigated.

An inside dog probably wouldn't help much. Our DR dogs know the caretakers, maid, etc., and the suspect would have known the dog too. Plus, any dog worth his weight in security would probably be too large/strong for a couple of that age to walk several times a day.

We had a great dog in NJ, a 100 pound boxer, and he was a terrific watchdog. However, he obviously knew whoever robbed our house when we were away [daughter was at work], because he let them bring him upstairs and lock him in a bedroom.

In a case like the OP, I doubt there was much this couple could have done to prevent what happened because they knew their assailant.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

And Francisco turned himself in:

[video=youtube;bvC4Td0maCI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvC4Td0maCI[/video]

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
When people you know are already standing inside your house, condo, or whatever, its already too late. Way too late. They know why they are there, you don't! They're not going to let you go get a weapon, or use your phone, or scream, or do anything else. A 25yrs old man, and especially two men, now have complete control over you once they have gained entry and are standing in front of you. In that situation, its best to give them what they want, try and keep them calm, and just hope they don't have any other intentions other than just robbing you.

frank

One small minor detail. You know who your robbers are and they know that you know. Unfortunately, most Dominican robbers will kill you in that case because when they rob you and they leave they expect you will go to the police and tell the police who robbed you. The logic of a Dominican robber is a person who is dead cannot go to the police and tell them who the robbers are. Its tragic as most of these robbers/killers are not the sharpest shed in the tool and leave many fingerprints around, drive around in the car of the robbed, take personal stuff with them etc etc etc..

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
An inside dog probably wouldn't help much. Our DR dogs know the caretakers, maid, etc., and the suspect would have known the dog too. Plus, any dog worth his weight in security would probably be too large/strong for a couple of that age to walk several times a day.

We had a great dog in NJ, a 100 pound boxer, and he was a terrific watchdog. However, he obviously knew whoever robbed our house when we were away [daughter was at work], because he let them bring him upstairs and lock him in a bedroom.

In a case like the OP, I doubt there was much this couple could have done to prevent what happened because they knew their assailant.

That's why don't trust your maids, gardeners etc etc. If your house is a fortress they are the ones who know everything about the house and if there are things to steal.

I know people with several dogs however they keep one anti-social or whenever the maid is in the house they will lock it up, when there is a party at their house, they lock the dog up. When nobody is home or just the family the dog is around the house.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
That's the same the world over. History has shown that, regardless of where in the world you reside.

Here we go again, yes its same everywhere! Even in places that have no bars and never lock their doors, they are risking being slaughtered by their gardeners! :confused:

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Here we go again, yes its same everywhere! Even in places that have no bars and never lock their doors, they are risking being slaughtered by their gardeners! :confused:

No reason to be confused, you just stated the obvious yourself. We don't have to like it, agree with it, or accept it, but it is reality of life in 2017.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
That's why don't trust your maids, gardeners etc etc. If your house is a fortress they are the ones who know everything about the house and if there are things to steal.

I know people with several dogs however they keep one anti-social or whenever the maid is in the house they will lock it up, when there is a party at their house, they lock the dog up. When nobody is home or just the family the dog is around the house.

Great advice!! 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
When I moved here in 2008 I considered a trained dog.

As my dogs age, I'm reconsidering it.

Have you ever seen one in action?
My friend had one ... sweet as honey until given a command (usually in German)

Various levels of attack....

Warning...... just growling 
Keep them there... meaning the attacker can't move
Attack.... full assault

This works on anybody when it goes into the 'mode'

I would hate to see how they train this stuff 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dog's name was Punza...... never forget it.

The school bus stopped coming ... he bit holes in the tires.... just for fun

German Shepherd.... real German

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

I think as a well trained shooter, with a well trained protection dog, you would be much safer in such a situation. Not attack trained or guard dog training (for me that's too much responsibility), just solid basic obedience training with natural protective instincts. A well trained dog with good protective instincts is capable of stopping an assault by a known assailant. I had a dog who was laying on the floor sleeping while my girlfriend's sister was arguing with her daughter about doing dishes. The daughter was ignoring her so the mother tried to manhandle her into the kitchen. The dog jumped up and pinned the mother's shoulders to the wall with his forepaws and had her forearm in his mouth, staring into her eyes. She didn't fight it and he didn't put a scratch on her. The mother calmly said, "Nicky get Duke off me and go do the dishes." That kid never moved so fast in her life. That response was all instinct, not trained. This dog was 100 pounds also and a five year old could walk him with a piece of yarn for a leash. He was obedient to both the mother and the daughter, but since we baby sat the daughter she was his priority. However, I doubt an eighty year old could have trained him as well as he was, and it may be pretty costly to pay for that training. The dog might have been effective protection-wise untrained, but as you alluded, an unmanageable pain in the ass all the rest of the time. Also there is the advantage of that shock factor, when that mild mannered dog that the assailant is accustomed to springs into action.

Last edited:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
No reason to be confused, you just stated the obvious yourself. We don't have to like it, agree with it, or accept it, but it is reality of life in 2017.

Based on your past posts/replies, this type of conversation with you is a complete waste of time. High road taken!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I cannot imagine how any of you could have any enjoyment living in the DR . I have complete confidence in my maid ,my cook and my gardener ..they have been with me for many years and they are part of the family ..I have no dog and my staff have keys and I do not lose a moments sleep .. why would they kill me and lose their pay and be obvious suspects to some police who may think like some people, I assume americans, who write here .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Kipling.... I'm with you on that...

no bars... same staff for years with keys, shared bank accounts for me to send money to them as needed.
Total confidence.... they won't allow 'strangers' to work on the property....

wuarhat

that is exactly where I wound up... just your story about dogs and instinct.

While investigating the happy customers of the 'dog school' , I spoke with the K-9 squad in Philadelphia... clients of the trainer.

The policeman advised that any breed with instinct would give me what I need... be it Doberman, Shepherd, whatever.
Train it. care for it and will return the favor.

I did that.

I actually rescued a Doberman at Playa Grande once....I mean I rescued it from death on the beach
Not a service or group.

Dog had been abandoned with her litter... they all died and she didn't have long to go.
I found her and resuscitated her ....

One day in the garden , we had a a man come in to help dig the soil and plant... with our regular man.

As we stood instructing them, the newbie picked up the pick to dig.
He took one swing before that dog went at him..... hard/....didn't touch him
but the intent/warning was clear

Our man then took over... dog still wasn't too happy.... that man fed her
stared and growled until I calmed her down

She returned and sat beside me... looking like --
Everybody clear on the rules now ??

Incredible what instinct will do.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Yes, a good dog is much better at knowing when to intervene than you are, and is not going to get distracted or hesitate. Dogs that are trained to attack on command are for a specific type of work, not day to day protection, and are not suitable for pets.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
While it is great to trust your maid, gardener, etc...it is their family/friends that may be less trustworthy. We have had the same cleaning woman for years. Have complete trust that she would not steal from us or cause us harm. However I can not control any conversations she may have outside of work about what we may or may not have. So we are careful what information we share with her. As well as anyone that works in the building. This poor couple came in/out of their building everyday having no clue that their demise was being planned by some worker/workers in the building. People they may have seen daily. That is a scary thought.

Kantana

Mar 25, 2012
great, we must also fear our maids/janitors.

Yeeees!
Include your driver, Dominican "friends", most trusted employees, Dominican spouses to that list. Remember, Brent Lewis's undoing was his most trusted employee, who had access to every facet of his business.

..........Ktn.