Stamp that shows Residency has been applied for - for Customs

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
Looking for input. I presently have my personal goods in port in Santo Domingo going through Customs.
I applied for my Residency last October through a lawyer in Santo Domingo. For whatever reason it is still not here.
I contacted her and told her I needed the "Stamp" that shows my Residency has been applied for so that Customs will approve me for tax exemption on my personal goods.
She is telling me that I have to come to Santo Domingo, again, and go to migration and it has to go through some Director and something about me providing finger prints, etc. (and probably more money!!!!)
Can the lawyer, herself, not give me a "stamp" showing that I applied for residency or is there another procedure/document that I must get.
Thank you all in advance for any assistance. This is another hurdle I must get over......I thought by paying a lot of money to a reputable company from my home Country that I could avoid a lot of hassle, but I guess not - the ones that smuggle any goods or illegal items in probably pay less than I have......makes me angry when I am being honest and paying big money for things.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Go to Santo Domingo. The only reason you have a problem is because you want to avoid the charges you would have to pay otherwise. You should go to Santo Domingo for 2 reasons: take care of the residency matter and check on your personal goods.

Don't get yourself all hot and bothered. Go to Santo Domingo, complete the residency process and get your goods.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Do a search on this..... you will find that importing personal items can be very costly.

Customs applies their own values to your belongings.

That $500 item may be deemed to be worth $1500.... and taxed accordingly.

Its just paperwork needed here.

As a caution.... do NOT let them open that container in your absence.... muy peligroso!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My understanding is there is a document, not just a stamp, that give you the right to bring your stuff in. That document can only be obtained if your application is 100% complete.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We've had this convo before... whether the 6 month grace period starts when the application is submitted or when the residency is granted.
We've had both answers.

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
We just went thru this. We had to provide copies of the temporary residency and cedula for the exemption. fyi - It took about 5 months to obtain temp residency. We were told by our lawyer that you had 6 months from date of residency to bring in the container under the exemption.

ildiko

Sep 2, 2010
Did anybody move before actually receiving the residency card, i.e. with the approval letter? If yes, is that the same which they give you at the Immigration when submitting the application? We hired a law firm in SD, but I can't get a clear answer from the lawyers. The law clearly speaks about an approval letter, but it can not be the same as the acknowledgement of the application, can it?
Also, does anybody know what percentage is the tax at the customs? Like if they value the shipment for $10,000, how much is the tax?
I think that shows where we are in the process. If I can be any help regarding what happened until this point, I'd be happy to share.

ildiko

Sep 2, 2010
Cobraboy, can you clarify please: what do you mean by that if the application is 100% completed? The application should be completed when it is submitted, but that does not mean that you got the residency and you can move?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yes you can do it afer application and before you get the card.

Yes you do need a "stamped" (remember this is the country of stamps) form that it has been applied for

Yes you do need to Go go Santo Domingo after your goods are in port to apply for the exoneration. This can be a whole day process and envolves "interviews" with various officials at the exoneration office.

Yes it is worth the hassle, it saved us thousands of dollars.

Your lawyer and import agent should be able to help you with all of this.

Bob K

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
When our container arrived we went to Sto Domingo (more than a 2 hr drive) about 3-4 times.

To identify and receive the goods
To accept and declare the goods, pay the port fees and load the truck for the delivery to Cabrera
To interview for car importatation
To buy the matricula

It is a tedious process..... but a necessary one.

As I said earlier.... you must be there to break the seal on the container.

ildiko

Sep 2, 2010
Bob K. and William, thanks for the input. I am trying to get the "official" answer from our lawyer, but he is not sure.
We are still waiting for the """fast track"""!!!!!!!! residency to be approved, 3 months now instead of the 45 days they promise. Trying to time the moving between the application date, the 6 months and the unknown date of eventually getting the residency.

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
Hi Bob..its Kathy from Nova Scotia..
We are planning on late next year for our move..How soon should we start these processes?? can this be done in Puerto Plata or do we need to travel to SDO??

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
KatieJay,
If you tallking about residency and you are planning on shipping a container I would sart the process about 3 months before your shipping date. PM me if you want the name of a lawyer that we as well as our clients and friends use. She gets it done, gets it done right and gets it done FAST! Oh and she is very reasonable in her price (on the lower end of the spectrum).

Bob K