starting programming outsourcing office in DR

trainn99

Dec 24, 2013
Hello,

I have been running a outsourcing office in Ukraine for over 10 years (i'm not ukrainian .. just got into it by coincidence) ...

I just moved to Punta Cana .. while i'm still maintaining my Ukrainian presence, i'm looking into opening a small office and a new team here in PC .. any advice?

I have passion to teach Smart people who are interested to become top programmers, but I don't know where to start.

What are the popular job boards here? any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
The buzz words. "outsourcing" "top programmers" "maintaining my Ukrainian presence"
Very suspect.
Further the island is not a bastion of highly skilled technical intellects. I think there are 7 on the whole island and they are from China.

trainn99

Dec 24, 2013
hahahaha... no problem. I read his other comments and I can see his style.

moving on, the following comment from him is the main reason I mentioned that I am willing to "teach".. and to be clear .. i'm NOT opening a school... this is a paid job for anyone with some experience and BRAINS:

"Further the island is not a bastion of highly skilled technical intellects. I think there are 7 on the whole island and they are from China."

I expected that programming is not a very popular skill here... but still.. since I want to live here, then might as well try to do what I love to do.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I don't who those 7 chinese are. But there is at least one gringo - me! And. I have managed an off shore (India) IT tream and I was on-site in Chennai. PM me for CV.

Last edited:

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I sent you PM. Thanks for the constructive post. I appreciate not wasting time.

I truly am happy that you were able to locate someone to join you on your pipe dream (opiate filled) journey through fantasy land as you turn Punta Cana into Silicon valley. Forward thinkers like you will no doubt transform P.C into a tech. savoy destination.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I believe that if indians can succede at off-shore at 12000 miles away, wih a language difference w/US as big then i think you have a possibility in the DR. (Equal corruption!). Also, there appears to be legitimate colleges here where in India they mostly are not. There are many underemployed and english fluent people here

Thanks for the PM.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
There are many people have succeeded in building a profitable future here in DR, I see no reason why anyone with experience, capital and vision can not do the same. There is ample oportunity here if people can figure out backwards policies and surround themselves with trustable employees and an honest connected nerwork.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, one key is in figuring out the backwards policies and the live for today mindset. There are many other keys like finding reliable internet, electricity, water, a safe and secure location, etc., etc.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"India vs. the DR"??????????????????????
The British left India with an infrastructure,civil service, education opportunities!
Spain just LEFT!!!!!
There are about two DR Universities recognized outside the country.
The rest are just "For Profit" schools who's degrees are worthless everywhere else in the World.

"HUG" if anyone could "Figure Out" what you listed above about Dominicans, this would have long since been the real "Jewel of the Carribean!!!!!!
We have, Location,geography, fertile soil,great "weather, it's the Dominicans themselves who keep each other in the toilet.
MANY have tried to do what you describe, not many success stories.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Neutron Bomb"??????????????????????????

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
The infrastructure that remains in India is in shambles. Education: private - fake. Public - poor. A country of 2 billion and not a single university ranked in the worldwide top 500 univ. My team was India educated/ 4 year equivalent to US HS!! I have compared US, India and DR curriculum in comp sci. US excelent, India a waste, DR a good foundation equal to first 2 yrs US univ. I have lived and worked in US and India and i now live in the DR.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
CC, i disagree. There are many failed ventures and even more stories of failure, i put much of this down to attempting to go about things adopting either a Dominican mindset, or even more common, under the guidance, advice and leadership of a Dominican. But while there is failure there is also success, far more than people may belive. I believe that a primary ingredient in succeeding is to continue with what you know, dont lower standards, professionalism and vision of what you expect from the venture, dealing with Dominicans distorts perfect vision, promotes laziness, corner cutting, unnesesary back tracking due to that mentioned. Failed ventures are predominantly people without sufficient ground time here, come with an idea and attempt to put it into practice without having loaned any time getting to learn to live here before being a success here, you can't conceive the reality without going through the motions, step by step.
Living first brings a wealth of fundamentals that are vital to starting any venture, the backwards policies come naturally as well as those connections and understanding. The OP has ground time and so if he knows his stuff, I see no reason success is not just around the corner.

Saying that I don't think forums are the place to start, and so maybe not enough ground time, that given.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
"India vs. the DR"??????????????????????

There are about two DR Universities recognized outside the country.
The rest are just "For Profit" schools who's degrees are worthless everywhere else in the World.

Please!

There are many more...

My business title from Unapec was good enough for Columbia University journalism masters program. My sister graduated from Intec and today is a professor at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.

Together with Unibe, UNPHU, UASD, PUCMM that makes at least 6 that are all recognized by top schools abroad.

Thousands of Dominicans have graduated here and gone on to postgraduate schools abroad and done well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I guess that's why you see Soooooooooooooo Many High Tech start up companies run by Dominicans, and so few by Indians???????????????????
NOT!
UASD is a disgrace!
You CAN get a 15 year "degree" in "Huelgas" if you can stand the tear gas!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC