stay in paraiso area or Pedernales

Feb 15, 2005
Locals unfortunately have little regard for the environment and keeping it clean. Case in point, last summer I visited the Great Lawn in Central Park, NYC and was amazed. Not at the shear volume of people; sun bathing, playing Frisbee, playing catch or picnicking but as I view the vastness of this huge playground, there was ZERO, I mean ZERO garbage to be seen thrown about. That was unbelievable! It was a testament to education and on how to pick up after yourself in public. Cities like Toronto and others show an immense respect and disdain for litterbugs. Not only would you get a summons if you are caught by Police but people stare at you with contempt. Sadly, the more uneducated you are the more likely you are to just throw rubbish, including diapers, bottles etc. about. You can see this by the uncleanliness of a ghetto anywhere in the world and that of a better neighborhood. I think the difference is education.

But this maybe more for the Living Forum than here.

However, I will always recommend San Rafael during the weekdays when it's very quiet and relaxing than the weekends when it's more crowded and noisy. But that is just my preference.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Don't worry about your Spanish. I'll get you the information today. Also find out about Lago Enriquillo, there are issues with the water rising so that I don't know what it looks like. It's interesting but be careful about taking a long ride and not having access to the park.

I just returned from Barahona yesterday and went around the lake to see with my own eyes what's going on. The situation is really scary for those living in the area but the trip is safe, even though there were parts where the waters of the lake are dangerously close to the road, so close that we stopped to look and got our feet muddy getting off the car, it scares me that the roads will be taken by the lake also. I was so awed by the lake being so high and big that I missed the entrance, but I was told is also flooded but not completely. I saw whole banana and coconut plantations completely flooded by the lake. I will be posting some pictures later on.

With these news (plus what I've read on the papers), should we reconsider visiting Lago Enriquillo the week after Semana Santa? We're interested in going around and stopping at Las Caritas and the monument to Enriquillo.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
With these news (plus what I've read on the papers), should we reconsider visiting Lago Enriquillo the week after Semana Santa? We're interested in going around and stopping at Las Caritas and the monument to Enriquillo.
The water is high, but the parks are all open.

Nattalie

Mar 2, 2009
Gran Marquis

Just in case you need somewhere to stay in Baharona that is inexpensive but clean that serves good breakfast, I would recommend the Gran Marquis. My husband and I stayed there on our last trip to the DR. It was about 30 a night. We had a room on the top floor, so the noise from the liquor store next door didn't not bother us. I was very comfortable there.

We mainly stayed in Baharona and drove to San Rafael and Paraiso one day. We wanted to go to the lake, but we didn't have adequate transportation. It sounds like staying closer to Bahia and Lago Enriquillo is a good idea.

Have a great time. I wish I was there now.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I have a friend in Paraiso who is kinda starting a surfing club. He is very knowledgeable of the whole area and is a good guy. He can tell you all about attractions. While your in Paraiso see the Guinness book of world records shortest river in the world. It's 5 min away in Los Patos.

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
Calculating 5 days for the South West Region is ok.
Stay in Barahona (if you like a little night life-town atmosphere), the malecon is a nice experience and via PM I will recomment hotels for Barahona. From there you can start your visit via Lago Enriquillo, Jimani, Polo magnetico.
Next day you start to PEdernales. Check in Villas del Mar and go to Bahia de Las Aguilas. Next morning on the way back you go over Hoyo de Pelempito and on the way to Barahona you take your stops at San Rafael and Los Patos.