Stuck at the Airport

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If in the case of those who want to come as touristis and stay every year for six months I would suggest it would be smart to apply for residency. If not maybe it is time to find another destination.

That is what I am saying. The regular snowbirds will not want to jump through all the hoops to get Residency and will probably take their dollars elsewhere if this continues, to the detriment of the DR and all the communities (including Las Terrenas) where they go every year.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just read the migration webpage and I can see that the part for those who wants an extention of your 30 days visa has the same fee when you go and paid at the airport when you leave, but note they ask for a form correctly filled, 2 copy of your passport, Original passport, copy of the stamped page when you arrived, copy of your ticket and MEDICAL INSURANCE, after you have all those papers just go to pay. So the process for extention exist, you just have to take the time to get all you need and spend a day at inmigration office, that way not broken rules.

So the process to extend your stay exist.

Here is the link and hope you can understand spanish and what mean para aquiellos que desean una prorroga de estadia.
https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/index/21

People have gone to the Migracion office and tried to extend. They were told to pay the exit fee when the left.

I repeat that I know of no one, regardless of what DR government web sites say, that has extended their tourist card beyond 30 days. Some have actually wasted the time to go to Santo Domingo and were unable to do so.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
People have gone to the Migracion office and tried to extend. They were told to pay the exit fee when the left.

I repeat that I know of no one, regardless of what DR government web sites say, that has extended their tourist card beyond 30 days. Some have actually wasted the time to go to Santo Domingo and were unable to do so.

Well If i go with a copy with the information from the webpage that is posible to do it, they have to do it, I go and ask I need a form to fill an aplication to extend my stay simple like that, I go will all papers they ask for, and the only thing they most do is pay the money at the cashier. Just because one lazy worker at inmigration office told that doesnt mean that must be the same for every body. If you note in the list I gave they also ask for a travel insurance. So the process exits and if some turist go to ask for it they must give the service.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well If i go with a copy with the information from the webpage that is posible to do it, they have to do it, I go and ask I need a form to fill an aplication to stend my stay simple like that, I go will all papers they ask for, and the only thing they most do is pay the money at the cashier.

So you have done that? As I said, people tried to do it and were refused.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
So you have done that? As I said, people tried to do it and were refused.

If was not necesary why put the ifnormation on the webpage? If they going to ask pretending they dont know is posible maybe they get that answer, but if you go telling I need the form to do this, for sure they will do it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just wrote an email to inmigration information department asking about it. Lets see if they answer.

People have gone and asked for an extension and they were told to go away and pay the exit fee.

It will be interesting to see if DGM responds.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Well If i go with a copy with the information from the webpage that is posible to do it, they have to do it, I go and ask I need a form to fill an aplication to extend my stay simple like that, I go will all papers they ask for, and the only thing they most do is pay the money at the cashier. Just because one lazy worker at inmigration office told that doesnt mean that must be the same for every body. If you note in the list I gave they also ask for a travel insurance. So the process exits and if some turist go to ask for it they must give the service.

Ok getting a little tired of this so here it is. You need to believe me cuz I'm Canadian eh?

Our mod AlterEgo did this and here is the quote

This morning we went to immigration in La Feria. Went to the window and told the woman I needed to extend my tourist card.  She nodded and handed me a paper and said pay when you leave. It's below, just the overstay fines. I told her I wanted to pay in advance. She said that doesn't exist. 

I told her it's on their website, and she repeated it doesn't exist.  She asked me how long I've been here, and I said about 40 days, and that I'm leaving April 29th. She put on a horrified face and told me, "if you are stopped, you will be deported". 

So, how is YOUR day going??  

Here is the thread please check it out http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/160845-Extending-Renewing-Tourist-Card?highlight=Visa+extention

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Ok getting a little tired of this so here it is. You need to believe me cuz I'm Canadian eh?

Our mod AlterEgo did this and here is the quote

This morning we went to immigration in La Feria. Went to the window and told the woman I needed to extend my tourist card.  She nodded and handed me a paper and said pay when you leave. It's below, just the overstay fines. I told her I wanted to pay in advance. She said that doesn't exist. 

I told her it's on their website, and she repeated it doesn't exist.  She asked me how long I've been here, and I said about 40 days, and that I'm leaving April 29th. She put on a horrified face and told me, "if you are stopped, you will be deported". 

So, how is YOUR day going??  

Here is the thread please check it out http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/160845-Extending-Renewing-Tourist-Card?highlight=Visa+extention

You are talking about one single person receiving that answer, we need mire people getting the same answer, 

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You are talking about one single person receiving that answer, we need mire people getting the same answer, 

OMG, I guess you were not following the news or DR1 in the past year and I'm not going to go searching for the links where tourists were picking up off the in the streets of POP and Sosua, put in a big yellow bus and taken to immigration. Many were trying to get extentions and guess what they were sent home after hours of waiting.

I'm done. I don't care if you don't believe us. How many times do I need to go to SD and find a Dominican that isn't lazy as you put it that knows what the laws are and will do an extention so that I won't be illegal after 30 days? The place where I stay is 2 hours from SD. I usually stay around 60 days. I have written and called the Dominican embassy in Ottawa and they tell me the same thing, pay on the way out.

Here you go http://dominicanembassycanada.gob.do/index.php/es/preguntasfre-p#p3 tell me what it says.

How many times do you have to ask at the Canadian embassy what the requirements are to enter Canada?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wanted to add that the woman I met with in immigration office (La Feria, SD), had a stack of letters printed out with the overstay fines.  The couple ahead of me was given one too, and we talked outside afterwards.

I still have the paper, I keep it with my passport 

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I'm illegal, more than 6 years in the country and 5.5 years since my last exit/entry...

If I get caught, I'll pay the fine, I'm around 35,000 pesos now, and if they ship me back to Canada (Québec), fine, I had not seen my family since 2012... And I'll be back a couple of months later, with a 2 weeks vacation at a resort, and then, never make my flight back to Montreal... And by the way, when you're walking around in Cabarete or Puerto Plata, never was I asked for ID or even bothered by the police. Maybe I look honest and by the book... Who knows ???

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
OMG, I guess you were not following the news or DR1 in the past year and I'm not going to go searching for the links where tourists were picking up off the in the streets of POP and Sosua, put in a big yellow bus and taken to immigration. Many were trying to get extentions and guess what they were sent home after hours of waiting.

I'm done. I don't care if you don't believe us. How many times do I need to go to SD and find a Dominican that isn't lazy as you put it that knows what the laws are and will do an extention so that I won't be illegal after 30 days? The place where I stay is 2 hours from SD. I usually stay around 60 days. I have written and called the Dominican embassy in Ottawa and they tell me the same thing, pay on the way out.

Here you go http://dominicanembassycanada.gob.do/index.php/es/preguntasfre-p#p3 tell me what it says.

How many times do you have to ask at the Canadian embassy what the requirements are to enter Canada?

ok. if thats the case I hope change sooner than later.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The only answer, Riva_31, is to go and try it yourself. Hopefully you will be more successful than people have been in the past. Please let us know what happens.