Surf Boards in Barahona

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Casa Bonita

It is foolhardy and reckless to promote the twelve room (thatched huts with cold water) bed-and-breakfast hostel Casa Bonita in Bahoruco as a surfing destination. The hostel is located on a hill, beyond walking distance from the beach, and the beach itself is treacherous, way too dangerous even for swimming, much less leaving your kids playing with gravel even at the 'high tide mark'. Here's a recent review by a visitor to Casa Bonita

berry

Apr 20, 2005
Casa Bonita

Mirador - Your "recent review" appears to be almost four years old. I was there two days ago. The pool was great, meals were fine, and the staff were very friendly. We were a pretty low maintenance group so we didn't really challenge the staff except I did have some laundry done and my wife ordered several pina coladas. I bet they were amazed at our groups coffee consumption every morning. (The coffee was great! Ground by mortar and pestle) We did not have hot water but that didn't bother us because of the hot weather. We left very early before breakfast was out and they prepared some toast and fruit for our kids before we got on the road. The beach access is about a 1/2 mile walk. 1/4 mile to the highway and 1/4 mile along the road to the beach. You won't hang out on the beach below the hotel too much, but the closed resort is about another 1/2 mile west and it looked like you could walk to it from the public beach access.

After my short visit It seems that the following is necessary to enjoy the Barahona area: You need to be an adventerous traveller and enjoy the natural attractions the area offers and be willing to find them for yourself. You or someone with you must be able to speak Spanish. You must have transportation. And... are you ready Mirador?.....If you want to get into the ocean at most beaches you must be comfortable swimming in strong surf. Locals prefer swimming in the river swimming holes. There are plenty of those. San Raphael is a good one. (Even though we all swam in the ocean along with many locals because the river was packed) And El Quematillo (sp?) has a reef that blocks the surf with several little springs flowing out of the sand at the tide line, but not much shade.

I would not make the Barahona area a surf specific destination because the surf is not always good. The Bahoruco break is surfable on each side of the river mouth but not consistently. The Bahorucco beach is not one that non-surfers will enjoy unless you want to just walk and collect some larimar. (My wife found one piece and a local collecting white stones gave her another piece) If you are willing to drive and hike along the beach, you might find some other surf breaks.

Feb 15, 2005
Barahona

We own a seasonal villa near town and are in the process of building a villa off the highway on a curve named " La Vuelta de Gabino" which is known for it's winding "C" shape. We have small private beach which is wonderful for body surfing and it's waves are extremely enjoyable.
The San Rafael beach location is more for eating great seafood at one of the kiosks, having refreshing drinks and cooling off in the mountain fed cold water pool.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Private beach?

You mean as in:

Secluded from the sight, presence, or intrusion of others: a private hideaway;

or

belonging to a particular person or persons, as opposed to the public or the government: private property?

Richard Alberto said:
We own a seasonal villa near town and are in the process of building a villa off the highway on a curve named " La Vuelta de Gabino" which is known for it's winding "C" shape. We have small private beach which is wonderful for body surfing and it's waves are extremely enjoyable.
The San Rafael beach location is more for eating great seafood at one of the kiosks, having refreshing drinks and cooling off in the mountain fed cold water pool.

Feb 15, 2005
Barahona Surf

Mirador said:
Private beach?

You mean as in:

Secluded from the sight, presence, or intrusion of others: a private hideaway;

or

belonging to a particular person or persons, as opposed to the public or the government: private property?

It's private property and pretty hidden from view. It's actually quite beautiful. Anyone staying at the villa has full access to it.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Richard Alberto said:
It's private property and pretty hidden from view. It's actually quite beautiful. Anyone staying at the villa has full access to it.

You either have a bogus title and/or are encroaching in public land. According to DR law, all coastal land within 60 meters of the high tide mark is public domain.

ignorance of the law is no excuse...

Feb 15, 2005
Mirador said:
You either have a bogus title and/or are encroaching in public land. According to DR law, all coastal land within 60 meters of the high tide mark is public domain.

ignorance of the law is no excuse...

You are 100% correct Mirador, regarding the 60 meters.. However, in order to reach the beach you must either pass via private property, swim or have a boat take you right to it. No law in DR forces property owners to relinguish his rights to privacy so that the public can walk thru his land to reach any public domain.

Ephry

Jun 27, 2002
Bahoruc will not be a bad point, particularly for bodyboarding, specially if you dropknee. If you're going to be in the south of the island, try to go to Patos. It is about an hour and a half north of bahoruco, but the surf is better suited for BBing.

Take it from a local. When I live din the island, the best spots where always on the north shore, Macao for example, but the south has some really good spots too.

E

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I have seen a stray surfer at San Rafael in Mid March...The other beaches are very dangerous..Deep drop offs, Rip tides, Underwater rock formations just a few feet below the surface and lets not forget the Stinging Jellyfish the locals call HARD WATER.!!! Not any surf shops here at all ...

Ephry

Jun 27, 2002
And if you go in mid august to late september, the ever classic "Cocolondrios" or sealyce.

E

jorge_f14

Dec 8, 2005
Info

One of the best surf spots in the island is Bahoruco ( 15 minutes away from Barahona). You wont find a rental surfboard in barahona, so consider bringing yours. If you go to Barahona, don't miss Bahoruco! Once at the beach you will find a few locals, surfing almost perfect waves in really poor conditions surfboards that surfers from Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo and Cabarete leave when they go there, so you can take your old board... surf and then leave it as a tip. You might find a Dive center in one of the all-included hotels in Barahona, for sure they do scuba certifications, lessons and excursions. Enjoy.

fladrifter

Jun 15, 2005
many kids surfing barahona

will be there soon should i bring wax leashes ding repair supplies and yes their is good surf in the region but like florida is hit and miss

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would check with the locals to find out which beaches are okay for surfing. The beaches there, while gorgeous to look at, are known for their dangerous undertow.