Surviving the Apocalypse in the DR

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
I would just like to survive in the office...

Criss Colon said:
I was told by my boss,a Dominican,that people don't "Live" in the DR,they SURVIVE!
I would be considered a "Survivalist" in the USA,here I am just being prepared fopr normal day to day life!
I guess the "Claymore Mines" around the house are a bit much,but you can never tell!

Speaking of "Claymore Mines"...... thought you guys might get a kick out of this:

http://www.bleacheatingfreaks.com/science/OB/micromine/

Some people have way to much time on their hands.

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
During my drive into Santiago every early evening, a AA 727 flies over me. I will be delaying todays drive about 30 minuntes.

Just to be on the safe side!

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
safer

DR is safer becuase it has collasped. Think about in the DR no one panicks or even notices when the power goes out but look at the black out in the US.
Just some food for thought.
John

carsten1

May 7, 2005
I'm not worried about the fall of western civilization as we know it....

because I would rather be dead than live in the stone age.
What I AM worried about is the trend toward fascism in the US. I would like to have somewhere to run to if the US started to behave like the patriot acts allow it to. The president believes he can lock up US born US citizens without charge or attorney on his say-so alone, simply by declaring them to be enemy combattants. Jose Padilla is a US born US citizen. The courts have said, charge him or turn him loose and the gov't still keeps him locked up. If it can happen to him, it could happen to me and mine. It hasn't yet happened in large numbers but I'm thinking about what COULD happen if the President decides that God wants him to do this or that.
The DR is relatively easy to get into if you have some cash to live on. It's easy to get into if you don't too, so long as you come from a country that's better off than the DR, (just about everywhere except Haiti :) ) but
I'm talking about a residence permit. I'm not rich but I have enough to keep the standard of living, say, like a middle class mexican in Mexico for about 3 years. I've been to Mexico, I know the prices there. I know the standard of living. Do you think that the DR would be a good place to sit things out and see if things at home get better? Better than Mexico? Thank you. BTW, I'm not planning to flee tomorrow. Just looking at options.
Carsten

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Guns

Remember the thing about the US. Everyone likes down play the NRA but that is what the 2nd amendment was about. The framers of the constitution ensure that the population would have the firepower to rebel if the government every turned totally crazy.
You can not predict if and when the US will go totally nuts. SO my advice would be continue to save until you get to critical mass. If then you want to leave do so. If you watch the boards you will see that in the DR there is as much of not more problems going on. Look at the recent problems with Diego. This guy brings in extra tourist as clients and he was operating and above board honest business and look what happened.
My reasons for leaving the states and moving to the DR has nothing to be with me being unhappy with the states. It is just after 20 year of going all over the world I want to try something new and rebuild from the ground up. Of course I am bringing enough resources to do OK even if I fall flat on my face otherwise.
My advice do not run away from something. Run to it.
John

carsten1

May 7, 2005
Hi John. I don't know about Diego. Which thread is that on so I can read about it. Thanks.

jsizemore said:
Look at the recent problems with Diego. This guy brings in extra tourist as clients and he was operating and above board honest business and look what happened.

John