Taiwan donates jeeps, helicopters, motorcycles to DR

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
China does not recognize Taiwan Independence ; China still lays claim to Taiwan..ongoing political football.
When Canada Diplomats visit or receive Taiwan Delegates ,China gets quite upset as it gives more credibility to the Taiwan break away who also has USA protection.
China has been making a lot of economic moves into Caribbean and Canada.... especially for seafood; billions of dollars of investments.
The latest announcement that China is interested in RD and Haiti brought the goonies outside.... after all it is Halloween.
So Taiwan donates huge overstock items to RD ; RD accepts! THis causes consternation to China .... this is the real deal ; RD is smart and will play both sides against the middle.
RD may be good at Baseball and Basketball but they are brilliant at ''Political Football''.
Anyway, that is my take on the situation...
Russell

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
these are transportation means not weapons...there are plenty uses for all these
...such as transport troops and weaponry, food and medical supplies for said troops and their leaders, many of whom have more "war" medals on their chests than hair on their heads. My apologies to those of us who likewise, have little hair left.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I am, most likely, the least knowledgeable poster regarding military and political affairs as it pertains to this country. However, in spite of that limitation, I fail to grasp the need for more military hardware in a country that has no real or imagined enemies ready to engage in armed conflict. Someone on this board will enlighten me for sure, of that I am certain. Thank you in advance.

......that is quality hardware for the stopping or helping of the smuggling of not so legal contraband....depending on who is paying you more...........

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
29 OCT 2017, 5:39 PM

Taiwan donates 90 jeeps, 2 helicopters and 100 engines to the Dominican Armed Forces

The teams will arrive in the country in January and within two weeks will travel to the Asian country a group of Dominican soldiers to receive specialized training to handle them

SANTO DOMINGO. The Republic of Taiwan donated 90 jeeps, two helicopters and 100 engines for use by the Armed Forces of the Dominican Republic during an official visit that Minister of Defense Ruben Paulino Sem made to that Asian nation.

A press release from the Ministry of Defense says that Paulino Sem, who returned to the country on Saturday after exhausting a three-day work schedule, was invited by the Taiwanese authorities as part of the bilateral cooperation agreements that have existed since 1947 between the two countries

On his official visit, Paulino Sem was received by the president, Tsai Ing-wen.

The press communication says that the donation is more than 35 million dollars

The Asian leader also promised to double the cooperation offered to the Dominican Republic and took the opportunity to extend an invitation to Dominican President Danilo Medina, and first lady Cándida Montilla de Medina, to visit their country.

The Dominican minister informed that the teams will arrive in the country next January and that in two weeks a group of Dominican soldiers will travel to Taiwan who will receive specialized training as technicians of Bell UH-1H helicopters.

"The government of Taiwan will cover the maintenance and parts of the Humvee jeeps donated for two years," he adds.

Accompanied on the trip to Paulino Sem, Luis R. Lee Ballester, director of Plans and Operations of the MIDE, and the lieutenant colonel of the Air Force, Manuel A. Del Villar Cintrón, director of Civil Affairs and Public Relations.

Paulino Sem also visited the Han-Shan airline industry corporation and the Taiwanese Army car depot base, accompanied by the Dominican ambassador to that country, the Major General (R), historian José Manuel Soto Jiménez and the military attaché, captain of the ship Mayobanex Montero Tapia.

The MIDE holder also held meetings with his counterpart, Admiral Feng Shih-Kwan; with Chancellor David Tawei Lee; with the pilot brigadier general Han-Shan, president of the Air Industry Corporation; and with Wu Yin-Jung, commander of the Taiwanese Army Vehicle Logistics Plant.

During his visit, Paulino Sem presented recognition plaques to President Tsai Ing-wen, for his contributions to Dominican development; to Feng Shih-Kuan, for the support to the continuous training of the members of the Dominican Armed Forces in the Military Schools and Academies of Taiwan; to Lee Hsi-Min, for his contribution to the promotion of relations between the Ministries of Defense of both nations; David Tawei Lee, for promoting cordial and solidary relations with the Dominican Republic.

computer translated from: https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...s-a-las-fuerzas-armadas-dominicanas-YC8477032

so what kind of engines were they?

May 5, 2007
29 OCT 2017, 5:39 PM

Taiwan donates 90 jeeps, 2 helicopters and 100 engines to the Dominican Armed Forces

The teams will arrive in the country in January and within two weeks will travel to the Asian country a group of Dominican soldiers to receive specialized training to handle them

SANTO DOMINGO. The Republic of Taiwan donated 90 jeeps, two helicopters and 100 engines for use by the Armed Forces of the Dominican Republic during an official visit that Minister of Defense Ruben Paulino Sem made to that Asian nation.

A press release from the Ministry of Defense says that Paulino Sem, who returned to the country on Saturday after exhausting a three-day work schedule, was invited by the Taiwanese authorities as part of the bilateral cooperation agreements that have existed since 1947 between the two countries

On his official visit, Paulino Sem was received by the president, Tsai Ing-wen.

The press communication says that the donation is more than 35 million dollars

The Asian leader also promised to double the cooperation offered to the Dominican Republic and took the opportunity to extend an invitation to Dominican President Danilo Medina, and first lady Cándida Montilla de Medina, to visit their country.

The Dominican minister informed that the teams will arrive in the country next January and that in two weeks a group of Dominican soldiers will travel to Taiwan who will receive specialized training as technicians of Bell UH-1H helicopters.

"The government of Taiwan will cover the maintenance and parts of the Humvee jeeps donated for two years," he adds.

Accompanied on the trip to Paulino Sem, Luis R. Lee Ballester, director of Plans and Operations of the MIDE, and the lieutenant colonel of the Air Force, Manuel A. Del Villar Cintrón, director of Civil Affairs and Public Relations.

Paulino Sem also visited the Han-Shan airline industry corporation and the Taiwanese Army car depot base, accompanied by the Dominican ambassador to that country, the Major General (R), historian José Manuel Soto Jiménez and the military attaché, captain of the ship Mayobanex Montero Tapia.

The MIDE holder also held meetings with his counterpart, Admiral Feng Shih-Kwan; with Chancellor David Tawei Lee; with the pilot brigadier general Han-Shan, president of the Air Industry Corporation; and with Wu Yin-Jung, commander of the Taiwanese Army Vehicle Logistics Plant.

During his visit, Paulino Sem presented recognition plaques to President Tsai Ing-wen, for his contributions to Dominican development; to Feng Shih-Kuan, for the support to the continuous training of the members of the Dominican Armed Forces in the Military Schools and Academies of Taiwan; to Lee Hsi-Min, for his contribution to the promotion of relations between the Ministries of Defense of both nations; David Tawei Lee, for promoting cordial and solidary relations with the Dominican Republic.

computer translated from: https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...s-a-las-fuerzas-armadas-dominicanas-YC8477032

Not sure what the 100 engines are, turbines for the Helos? The two Hueys could easily have been 10 plus million of the donation Though they started flying sometime around 1960, they are constantly upgraded and maintained and are as good as many current helicopters in the attack, air ambo and utility role Unless I am mistaken, the Bell Iroquois is the most numerous helicopter in the world today That is , if you like and trust helicopters As one old grizzled Chief said (And I'm sure each service branch says the same) helicopters are not really airplanes but 100,000 parts flying in close formation They scare me

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Not sure what the 100 engines are, turbines for the Helos? The two Hueys could easily have been 10 plus million of the donation Though they started flying sometime around 1960, they are constantly upgraded and maintained and are as good as many current helicopters in the attack, air ambo and utility role Unless I am mistaken, the Bell Iroquois is the most numerous helicopter in the world today That is , if you like and trust helicopters As one old grizzled Chief said (And I'm sure each service branch says the same) helicopters are not really airplanes but 100,000 parts flying in close formation They scare me

I saw the first Seaking helicopter arrive in Halifax (HMCS Shearwater) over 50 years ago.My Son was CO of squadron when the last one landed, 100,000 parts flying in close formation is about it. But they do allow for better air surveillance of the border.
IF China invests in Haiti then Taiwan will invest in DR... first one in gets a home run.
Possible they will bring their scrap to our backyard; more political crap on the horizon.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Omg guys, it was a computer translation.  It translated motores (motorcycles) into engines/motors.  

They are sending motorcycles, not motors. 

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
More details from the DR1 Daily News - Tuesday, 31 October 2017 compilation -- jeeps are Hummers and helicopters are UH-1H.
---

Taiwan donates jeeps and helicopters to Ministry of Defense
Taiwan has donated 90 AM General Humvee jeeps, two Bell UH-1H helicopters and 100 motorcycles to assist the Ministry of Defense efforts. The equipment is expected to arrive in January 2018. The Taiwan government has also added two years of maintenance to the equipment package. A team of Dominican officers are scheduled to travel next month to Taiwan to be trained in the use of the equipment valued at US$35 million. Minister of Defense Ruben Paulino Sem also reported the 90 Hummer jeeps will be used to patrol the border with Haiti.

The announcement was made by Defense Minister Paulino Sem after visiting the Taiwan company Han-Shan in Taiwan and the Taiwan army vehicle deposit in company with Dominican ambassador in Taiwan, former Minister of Armed Forces Jose Manuel Soto Jiménez.

While in Taipei, earlier in October, Paulino Sem also met with his colleague, Admiral Feng Shih-Kwan and Minister of Foreign Relations David Tawei Lee.

In a press release, the Ministry of Defense says that the announcement is part of efforts by Paulino Sem, who returned on Saturday, 28 October 2017, from a three-day trip to Taiwan upon an invitation of the Taiwan government, to improve relations with this Asian country.

During his visit, he met with Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen. The press release says that the President of Taiwan promised to double the cooperation offered to the Dominican Republic and reaffirmed the invitation for President Danilo Medina and First Lady Candida Montilla to visit.

In addition, Paulino Sem said that the Ministry is working with the Specialized Border Corps (Cesfront) and installing surveillance cameras that will work with drones that have been purchased this year. Paulino Sem spoke when attending an event that marked the closing of the planting of 10,000 trees activity by army men at the Circunvalación Santo Domingo Norte.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...s-a-las-fuerzas-armadas-dominicanas-YC8477032
http://elcaribe.com.do/2017/10/30/defensa-equipos-donados-por-taiwan-patrullaran-la-frontera/

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Correction:

The High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV), commonly known as the Humvee, is a four-wheel drive military light truck produced by AM General.

Humvees, not the civilian Hummer, is what the Taiwan government is donating for border surveillance.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
...such as transport troops and weaponry, food and medical supplies for said troops and their leaders, many of whom have more "war" medals on their chests than hair on their heads. My apologies to those of us who likewise, have little hair left.

Medals?? here? hahaha...the last time the DOminican Army engaged in WAR was in 1965 against the USA and the DR TRaitors, i am yet to see medals from that, for the next we will have to go back to 1916

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The simple question is why.
What is Taiwan getting in exchange.

Its just strange. I seem to remember Greeks bearing gifts a while ago and it ended badly for the recipient.

At least the Taiwanese know the DR cannot do maintenance. Be nice if they sent along fuel for a couple of years as that is another area the DR cannot keep up.

Hard to imagine trucks, and a helicopter will keep the Chinese out of the DR.

I would be more concerned about the helicopter crashing. They are hi maintenance and tricky. Hope they are not flying around in my neighborhood.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
So the point is to clarify, i don't think there is anybody alive today with medals...now back to the subject.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
The simple question is why.
What is Taiwan getting in exchange.

Its just strange. I seem to remember Greeks bearing gifts a while ago and it ended badly for the recipient.

At least the Taiwanese know the DR cannot do maintenance. Be nice if they sent along fuel for a couple of years as that is another area the DR cannot keep up.

Hard to imagine trucks, and a helicopter will keep the Chinese out of the DR.

I would be more concerned about the helicopter crashing. They are hi maintenance and tricky. Hope they are not flying around in my neighborhood.

Do You realize DR is one of the VERY FEW countries on this planet that recognizes them? Taiwan just wants this to continue so, it has been so since Taiwan's birth.

DR air force already has those helicopters, they are an excellent piece of machinery and they have been flying as long as i can remember, that should be proof enough that they are indeed very well maintained, also updated when possible so don't confuse Civilian Maintenance given to stuff like OMSA, Metro, etc to the stuff the DR Military does, there are plenty videos on youtube about that...just the other day in a big fire in SD there was one of these work horses helping the firefighters to put that down

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Does the DR send an ambassador to Taiwan?  I know they have a military attaché there, Mr AE’s cousin held that position, but wasn’t sure about an embassy.

PS.  Never mind, google is my friend.  DR does have an Embassy there

Last edited:

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Does the DR send an ambassador to Taiwan?  I know they have a military attaché there, Mr AE’s cousin held that position, but wasn’t sure about an embassy.

PS.  Never mind, google is my friend.  DR does have an Embassy there

A Dominican military attache in Taiwan. What a great job. What the heck would he do all day long?