Teaching recyling: City government announces Plastics for Toys initiative

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Plasticos-por-Juguetes-Diario-Libre-1024x681.png

Capital City Mayor Carolina Mejia will celebrate the fourth year of “Plastics for Toys,” the annual Three Kings Day event that seeks to create awareness in children.

The Mayor of the National District said the event will take place on Saturday, 6 January 2024 from 8am to 4pm at the city government headquarters in Centro de los Heroes.

Children and their parents bring plastic bottles they have collected, cleaned and compressed with their lids and receive toys in exchange.

The city government says “Plastics for Toys” aims to reduce the impact of plastics on the environment by teaching minors to recycle.

Attendees with IDs receive a ticket that enables them to exchange plastic for two toys. The type of toys will depend on the amount of plastics traded. The toys include bicycles, tricycles, skateboards, dolls and balls.

The event also features live...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Ah yes, the recycling charade. Environmentalists promulgate not prerinsing dishes also as it taxes the environment.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Interesting. I have never seen that idea promulgated anywhere.
Most environmental activists gloss over reasonable concepts. They think anyone who uses gas stoves and plastic bags is a criminal. I have a CAT diesel generator that chimes in like a orchestra when the power goes out reminding me that life is full of choices.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Most environmental activists gloss over reasonable concepts. They think anyone who uses gas stoves and plastic bags is a criminal. I have a CAT diesel generator that chimes in like a orchestra when the power goes out reminding me that life is full of choices.
I had a Denyo super silent diesel 15 KVA for many years. It had an Isuzu 3 cyl engine with an automatic transfer switch, and would go from street to generator in less that 5 seconds.

You literally couldn't hear it from about 10 ft away. It was even quieter than my Honda, which is only about 40 db as well.

Buying the Honda was probably not a good decision. I've had it a couple of years now and it's only accumulated about 6 hours total use mainly from running it to warm it up once in a while.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I had a Denyo super silent diesel 15 KVA for many years. It had an Isuzu 3 cyl engine with an automatic transfer switch, and would go from street to generator in less that 5 seconds.

You literally couldn't hear it from about 10 ft away. It was even quieter than my Honda, which is only about 40 db as well.

Buying the Honda was probably not a good decision. I've had it a couple of years now and it's only accumulated about 6 hours total use mainly from running it to warm it up once in a while.
So JD, you have 2?

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Where are you guys buying your generators ? I am looking at one at Pricesmart in Santiago but it's with an unknown brand.. I just need something to run my starlink for work and / or a fridge worse case scenario... say 1.5 kw/h i'd love a diesel but I feel like they wouldn't come in a small CC..

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Where are you guys buying your generators ? I am looking at one at Pricesmart in Santiago but it's with an unknown brand.. I just need something to run my starlink for work and / or a fridge worse case scenario... say 1.5 kw/h i'd love a diesel but I feel like they wouldn't come in a small CC..
Mine is a Honda from Agencia Bella.

It costs a little more, but even a small Honda inverter generator is what you should be looking at. They adjust the RPMs of the engine based on electrical consumption, and they are super quiet.
612k7BjCKDL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I've gone through quite a few of the "lawnmower Engine" generators and I'll never buy another.

Last edited:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Ahem, let's get back to talking about the topic boys. In Santo Domingo we do have plastics recycling, they collect them separately in my tower. I just wonder why they don't expand this initiative and offer money in exchange for a sack of plastics, it would sure get people cleaning up the beaches.

Then again, my friends who are staying keep saying they are astonished how clean Santo Domingo is. And I have to say it is looking pretty good at the moment.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Ahem, let's get back to talking about the topic boys. In Santo Domingo we do have plastics recycling, they collect them separately in my tower. I just wonder why they don't expand this initiative and offer money in exchange for a sack of plastics, it would sure get people cleaning up the beaches.

Then again, my friends who are staying keep saying they are astonished how clean Santo Domingo is. And I have to say it is looking pretty good at the moment.
Whoops, sorry about that.

I can tell you the plastic recyclers in Nigau are going full steam. Lots of stuff transported every day.

Santo Domingo has street cleaners, just like San Cristobal. Women who are out at 4-5 am every morning picking up trash and sweeping gutters. It makes a noticible difference.

Reactions: Big

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Mine is a Honda so it came from Agencia Bella.

It costs a little more, but even a small Honda inverter generator is what you should be looking at. They adjust the RPMs of the engine based on electrical consumption, and they are super quiet.
612k7BjCKDL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I've gone through quite a few of the "lawnmower Engine" generators and I'll never buy another.
checking it out thanks, how much was that one do you recall?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
checking it out thanks, how much was that one do you recall?

I'm not sure how much they are at Bella International (the dealer), but they cost $1000 on Amazon. Quality equipment. (I have the EU65is).

IIRC , they will give you a quote on the phone. You should verify if the ones they have come with the ECO Throttle.

You can also check out the EU10i. Some of the EU10i does have it and is a few dollars cheaper but it's only 1K watts.

Last edited:
Reactions: arete92