Televisions not allowed on Jet Blue now to DR

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I will check Delta some time later to see if they allow televisions in checked baggage. I have had some good Delta flights.  It is just that I have already booked a few Jet Blue flights out a couple months.  They are good from JFK.  Have a Delta flight booked back later in the year - but wrong way DR to US.

Glad I did not get stuck in the airport taking the tv out of my bag.  I wonder how the customs people separate out the Jet Blue bags from the other airlines.  Probably easy, I just don't know.  Thinking of trying to slip it through, of course.  Jjj.

(Jet Blue said tv's in checked baggage on domestic flights - inside US - are ok.)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will check Delta some time later to see if they allow televisions in checked baggage. I have had some good Delta flights.  It is just that I have already booked a few Jet Blue flights out a couple months.  They are good from JFK.  Have a Delta flight booked back later in the year - but wrong way DR to US.

Glad I did not get stuck in the airport taking the tv out of my bag.  I wonder how the customs people separate out the Jet Blue bags from the other airlines.  Probably easy, I just don't know.  Thinking of trying to slip it through, of course.  Jjj.

(Jet Blue said tv's in checked baggage on domestic flights - inside US - are ok.)

How do they know? X-ray machines is how they know.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
IIRC, there have been prohibitions on "boxes" as checked luggage to the DR via several US carriers (United, Delta, American) for over 10 years now. First I heard of prohibiting TV's I. Suitcases though?
(I brought a 28", $198 dollar flatscreen (wrapped in a blanket) in my suitcase several years ago without any issues at either end). 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
IIRC, there have been prohibitions on "boxes" as checked luggage to the DR via several US carriers (United, Delta, American) for over 10 years now. First I heard of prohibiting TV's I. Suitcases though?
(I brought a 28", $198 dollar flatscreen (wrapped in a blanket) in my suitcase several years ago without any issues at either end). 

And even more odd that they are allowed only to Cuba.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
delta allows checked boxes. I have been bringing checked carton type boxes on delta for many years now. I fly light, with carry-on luggage and then I buy all my stuff in USA and put everything in a carton box (bought from walmart or home depot) and simply check it in. make sure you do not go over 50 lbs. I will try to check in a TV next time to see if they will allow me. I feel I will have zero problems.
Oh and I just bought a 55 inch smart samsung 4K tv in plaza lama. it was brand new with all factory packaging and stickers. I don't think it was refurbished at all. I get 1 year parts and labor included in the price, total price was 46,995 pesos. this is considered a good deal in DR. The TV is great and youtube is full of 4k titles.
AZB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There has been progress on prices, no doubt. $1,000 US for a 55 inch Smart 4K TV is in the correct range for a new set.

dinosinc

Mar 3, 2016
Just brought in March via west jet a 32 inch TV I mean computer monitor :) as checked baggage

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
just wondering if "remodeling your t v into a monitor still works? Did it a few years ago, no problem.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Just brought in March via west jet a 32 inch TV I mean computer monitor :) as checked baggage

Just curious how many people think the customs people are that stupid they can't tell the difference between a TV and a monitor. Takes less than ten seconds to tell the difference and that is without plugging it in and turning it on.

If you are bringing in a TV or monitor under $200 makes no difference what you call it as it is legal to bring in...................

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Just curious how many people think the customs people are that stupid they can't tell the difference between a TV and a monitor. Takes less than ten seconds to tell the difference and that is without plugging it in and turning it on.

If you are bringing in a TV or monitor under $200 makes no difference what you call it as it is legal to bring in...................
I bring a 24 inch monitor in my checked baggage back and forth every time and every time the DR customs guy says,ohhh a TV and then I correct him,every single time,so yeah that stupid.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I bring a 24 inch monitor in my checked baggage back and forth every time and every time the DR customs guy says,ohhh a TV and then I correct him,every single time,so yeah that stupid.

Why do they single you out and check your luggage all the time?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Good price but but.....
try bringing this $550 dollar set to DR and see how much will be the final price.
let's see: $550 dollars plus state tax from best buy. then shipping it to DR will set you back some more dollars as this sized box will be sent as cargo (My guess will be more than 100 dollars). you just can't check it in as regular luggage. this size box exceeds the size limit of checked in luggage.
now when it comes to DR, they will charge you custom fees plus luxury tax. this will come to roughly 48%.
now calculate all this and see how it will compare to buying a new 55 inch smart 4k samsung TV in DR. there will be no price difference plus you will not get any warranty in DR form a product you purchased in USA. God forbid if the TV screen gets broken in transit from usa to here, this will be another headache you would have to deal with. what if the TV experiences a defect after 1 month? what will you do now? take it back to USA?
Here is my case: i bought a Hisence 32 inch smart 1080p TV set from walmart for 159 dollars with free shipping to miami BM cargo address. then BM cargo forwarded my TV to santo domingo for 2900 pesos. I was all happy as it was less than 200 dollars and I didn't have to pay custom duties. then all of the sudden the TV screen gets all crazy after 2 weeks of use. The picture became solarized and video was unbearable to watch as all details were lost and colors seemed inverted. It was like watching a negative of a developed film as opposed to a real printed picture. I was totally depressed as I had to return this TV to walmart within 3 months to get a full refund and not to mention, I was going to lose my 2900 pesos in shipping the TV to DR.
as many of you people know, I am also an electrical engineer. so I had decided to take a calculated risk and fix the Tv by myself. I know many of you people are not as trained as I am so do not try this at home. So here was my fix. I took the 32 inch TV and looked at the back side where the main motherboard is packed in. I knew if I take out the screws and open up the TV, my warranty will be all lost. but since I am this amazing engineer, I knew a fool proof way to fix the TV, without voiding the warranty. remember guys, I had fully re-setted the Tv to factory setting and did all the restarting efforts to see if the Tv would reset itself to normal state. Nothing worked so I was compelled to take more drastic measures to have this TV fixed.
so again, back to fixing the TV. I turned this tv on and looked at the inverted colored video. Then I took my right hand and slammed on the back of the tv where the motherboard is fitted in. bang, the TV splashed all the colors and as expected, became totally fixed. This was done 2 months ago and TV is still functioning normally, like a brand new set. So remember, before you send in your Tv for a tech repair , just try to slap the back side of it and see if it will fix the problem. I say 50% of the times, small problems will get fixed permanently.
This is a true story and TV is functioning well in santiago as we speak.
AZB

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

they don't care because it's a small 24 inch TV. they are usually less than 200 dollars anyway.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...........Then I took my right hand and slammed on the back of the tv where the motherboard is fitted in. bang, the TV splashed all the colors and as expected, became totally fixed.....

Would this also work if a person is left handed? :)

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Why don't you stock it here in same Place?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Would this also work if a person is left handed? :)

like I said, many of you people are not as well trained as I am. I tell you what, bring me the TV and I will bang it back to normal for a fee of 50 dollars. Tv will be serviced while you wait. Positive results are not guaranteed but I charge my fees up front.
AZB