Temporary Residency: My Experience

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
So did you have your documents translated by the lawyers you are using? How many docs needed translation and how much did they charge? I still question how you lawyer let you use a 5 year old birth certificate.

GEEEEEZZZ Harry, READ post #6..... The OP didn't use a 5yr old birth certificate, and he also replied to that fact........Post #6 Harry......

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Sometimes semantics and lost in translation get tangled. You mention the DC embassy apostilled your marriage license. Perhaps this is the real hitch you needed a marriage certificate. the license is merely a permit to get married. They may have apostilled it without knowing the difference and migration caught the error.

Last edited:

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Sometimes semantics and lost in translation get tangled. You mention the DC embassy apostilled your marriage license. Perhaps this is the real hitch you needed a marriage certificate. the license is merely a permit to get married. They may have apostilled it without knowing the difference and migration caught the error.

I actually did not mention that the Dominican Embassy in DC apostilled any of my records. The state in which they were issued apostilled them. The Marriage Certificate or License is considered the "Acta de Matrimonio" by the DR authorities.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
GEEEEEZZZ Harry, READ post #6..... The OP didn't use a 5yr old birth certificate, and he also replied to that fact........Post #6 Harry......

A certified, recognized legal translator both at the Dominican Embassy in DC and here in the DR translated my documents. They were all translated twice. Also, I'm trying to find the basis upon which you could question my attorneys.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A certified, recognized legal translator both at the Dominican Embassy in DC and here in the DR translated my documents. They were all translated twice. Also, I'm trying to find the basis upon which you could question my attorneys.

I think they're insinuating that an attorney who knows their way around this process would never have even tried to submit a 5 yr old document.

Just sayin'....

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
I think they're insinuating that an attorney who knows their way around this process would never have even tried to submit a 5 yr old document.

Just sayin'....

AE, my attorney did not submit a five-year-old document. Tashi Siu's Dad chimed in during this thread and stated that HIS attorney did that. My attorney did not. All of our documents are within the period of validity. The post in which the five-year-old document was originally mentioned is post #6.

That's the frustrating part. Those who are saying that my attorneys are not capable are the ones who are having trouble comprehending what has been and is being written throughout this thread. In fact, my attorneys stressed to me the importance of each document being "newly issued," further demonstrating their capability to do their jobs satisfactorily.

Let's face it, DGM is trying to jerk us around. I've come to expect things like this. I just call it a gringo tax and accept it. This still doesn't stop me from smiling at everyone I encounter here and wishing him or her all the best.

Last edited:

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Another thing: I'm recounting me experience via this forum in order to benefit others who may encounter my same experiences. So that we are clear, I want everyone to know that the attorneys with whom I am working have been hired by my employer. My employer is footing the bill. As such, I'm following along with what they tell me and providing them any info or support that they need from me.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE, my attorney did not submit a five-year-old document. Tashi Siu's Dad chimed in during this thread and stated that HIS attorney did that. My attorney did not. All of our documents are within the period of validity. The post in which the five-year-old document was originally mentioned is post #6.

That's the frustrating part. Those who are saying that my attorneys are not capable are the ones who are having trouble comprehending what has been and is being written throughout this thread. In fact, my attorneys stressed to me the importance of each document being "newly issued," further demonstrating their capability to do their jobs satisfactorily.

Let's face it, DGM is trying to jerk us around. I've come to expect things like this. I just call it a gringo tax and accept it. This still doesn't stop me from smiling at everyone I encounter here and wishing him or her all the best.

Ah, well, there you go. We DO have reading comprehension problems. :)

Sep 4, 2012
Take that to the bank .......lol

and stay classy San Diego!
I'm beginning to wonder if some of you passed reading comprehension in school.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I had exactly the opposite experience with Guzman Ariza. They failed to review the documents prior to submission and then came the requests for new documents. The Consulate in the U.S. also failed to meet the requirements of the Immigration Service here in the D.R. There is a complete lack of communication with regard to the current requirements of the DGM. I have the Residencies and Cedulas in hand, so that's accomplished, but we are not looking forward at all to the renewal process, as I suspect it will be as pondersome as the initial application.

No medical required for the renewal, local police check( Dominican ), letter from bank, letter from sponsor...all done in the DR. Total including transportation less than 13,000 pesos.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No medical required for the renewal, local police check( Dominican ), letter from bank, letter from sponsor...all done in the DR. Total including transportation less than 13,000 pesos.

My fairly recent residency renewal required a medical exam, police check and nothing regarding sponsors nor banks. And two days of travel to Santo Domingo.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
A quick update:
Well, it's official. We received our RT-3 Temporary Visas today, almost three months to the date after our medical tests. They told us, in fact, that it would be about three months. We arrived at 8am and after photos, fingerprints, the issuing of our ID cards, and signing the register, we were out by 10am. It was a gloriously uneventful day at Migraci?n, a first for me. Happy Easter!!!