The 25 Best Caribbean Islands, Ranked. DR#2 !!!

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
This goes to show the DR could be by far the best Caribbean island if it were to change its policies of screwing over the Gringo (tourists) ... It actually is a very simple answer to fix the DR, and you don't have to change every person in the culture, just a few basic top down edicts and enforcement could turn this island into the destination.

Agree and agree. Give us all security and assurance that the rule of law will be applied and adhered to and I am good. Medicine, education, law abiding cops judges citizens, Elec and water 8 hrs at day and I'm happy.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
I love this poll.
First of all it ranks islands and puts Haiti near the bottom and DR near the top. Umm they are the same island.
and then it puts Puerto Rico at the top. Umm? Have you ever been there? Is this a poll for cities that feel the closet to Miami?

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Agree and agree. Give us all security and assurance that the rule of law will be applied and adhered to and I am good. Medicine, education, law abiding cops judges citizens, Elec and water 8 hrs at day and I'm happy.

I think you're asking for too much. If you just had a stable justice system the rest would follow. If investors were confident that their investments would not be stolen from them then they would invest more and the rest would come through the free market. This is the fallacy that the government provides medicine, education, electricity and water. The people do and sometimes then the government takes it over and convinces people that they did it and otherwise it wouldn't have happened.
It's interesting that every time Cuba opened up for private business major corps would run to invest only to see their assets nationalized by Fidel. AT&T had this happen many times. The DR does not attract these same corps, because the justice system takes their assets so quickly (or allows them to be taken) that the risk is not worth it. The DR looks an awful lot like Cuba land wise, and yet the investment does not come in.
It is a real shame, but it is what it is. Stable justice would resolve so many of the issues and make this the top Caribbean island. Just that urge to screw over is so great through the culture that it can't happen.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
I love this poll.
First of all it ranks islands and puts Haiti near the bottom and DR near the top. Umm they are the same island.
and then it puts Puerto Rico at the top. Umm? Have you ever been there? Is this a poll for cities that feel the closet to Miami?

OK, I don't know if it is the heat down there, but they define their criteria. Actually it is based on proximity to New York as one of the points. It's in the article and I re-stated it. Why can't people work from facts to have the discussion?

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
And no I did not write this article, but it is interesting to assess an article actually based on some specific empirical data. This is not an opinion piece, but what ended up coming out of an assessment of certain criteria. You may disagree with the criteria (which I do), but you can come to certain conclusions as to why a discrepancy with reality (which I did).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And no I did not write this article, but it is interesting to assess an article actually based on some specific empirical data. This is not an opinion piece, but what ended up coming out of an assessment of certain criteria. You may disagree with the criteria (which I do), but you can come to certain conclusions as to why a discrepancy with reality (which I did).

it is an opinion piece. if it has such a title, wherein the islands are ranked in some ascending of descending order, then it has to be an opinion piece. proximity is only one criterion. if it was not, the Bahamas would be number 1.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
it is an opinion piece. if it has such a title, wherein the islands are ranked in some ascending of descending order, then it has to be an opinion piece. proximity is only one criterion. if it was not, the Bahamas would be number 1.

Yes, their are 4 criteria, and that is what it was based on. Each of the criteria were weighted equally therefore it is not an opinion piece.
http://www.businessinsider.com/best-caribbean-islands-methods-and-sources-2016-2

I'll just post the text, this does not look like opinion:
We recently published a list of the 25 best Caribbean islands — no easy task, considering the beauty and appeal of each island.

For this ranking, we used four criteria: accessibility, average cost of a hotel room, number of attractions, and a beach density index score, which we'll explain below.

We weighted these criteria equally, because getting there with ease can be just as important as perfecting your tan.

In most instances, we defined a Caribbean island as a single country, republic, or territory in the Caribbean. The US Virgin Islands are made up of three major islands — St. Croix, St. John, and St. Thomas — but we counted it as one since the archipelago is considered one insular area of the United States.

To determine accessibility, we searched Google Maps to see how long the journey is from New York City to the major airport on the island. Islands that offer direct flights from New York City had shorter travel times, and performed better on the list.

For islands with no direct flights from New York City, we added the flight time from New York City to a nearby major airport, an hour for a layover, and the flight time for an island-hopper flight to the final destination.

To determine the average hotel room cost, we sought out the help of our friends at Hotels.com. The hospitality site provided us with the data for a majority of the islands. For the unlisted islands, we sourced Expedia.com for Haiti and Booking.com for Montserrat.

To determine the number of attractions, we searched the island on TripAdvisor.com, a reviews-based travel website. We used the number of attractions, which includes beaches, landmarks, cultural sites, and outdoor venues.

We did not take the number of activities, nightlife, or shopping venues into consideration, because we wanted to award islands rich in nature and culture.

To determine the beach density index, we divided the length of each island's coastline by its land area. This metric rewards islands that have a relatively large amount of potential beachfront for their size.

In the slideshow, we assigned description words to the island's beach density index score:

Low: 0.0 – 0.2
Moderate: 0.21 – 0.5
High: 0.51 – 0.8
Very high: 0.81+
When it was time to crunch the numbers, we normalized the data in each criteria so that each sub-score has a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1.

This common statistics technique allows us to preserve some of the relative size information (e.g. if one island has twice as much coastline than another island, it will get a much better score than if it had just 10% more coastline), while putting each variable on a common scale so we can meaningfully average them.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
OK, I don't know if it is the heat down there, but they define their criteria. Actually it is based on proximity to New York as one of the points. It's in the article and I re-stated it. Why can't people work from facts to have the discussion?
I never said I read the article. A top (whatever) list is essentialy a poll. Trump at the top, Cruz, Rubio, and Kasich at the bottom. When people see polls in print and on tv not many people dive deep into how that poll was taken and what criteria went into. Maybe they should but any good list or poll should be self explanatory and obvious. Apparently this one wasn't.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Screw over gringo index?

Safety. Any addition of personal safety and security would have knocked the D.R. totally out of consideration. One tourist went missing in Aruba 11 years ago and it took 5 years to recover.

The D.R. is the cheapest destination on the list and the beaches aren't great but they aren't terrible. Just keeping with the Aruba comparison, the "beach index" noted in the article focuses on the overdeveloped side, Eagle Beach whereas Baby Beach, Boca Grandi and most of the beaches on the San Nicholaas side are nearly deserted and totally void of commerce, vendors, etc. and unlike similar spots in the D.R. they are totally safe.

"Activities"? There are some areas of cultural significance in the D.R. which don't exist anywhere else but that's just a couple of day trips.

So it all comes down to "Accessible from NYC" which doesn't do a thing for the other 97.8% of Americans.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If I came to the DR, and stayed at the "HARD ROCK" IN Punta Cana, I might rank the DR, number "1"!!!!
Step outside, ...#500"!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I have to laugh at these paid writers trying to compare and list "best Caribbean Island".

Is society so na?ve today as to be unable to research travel guides and books and determine the places they want to go to without such articles.

I'm pleased to see DR being considered so high in this article because it is such a diverse and very beautiful country on the whole and offers so much to the demanding traveler.

What amazes me is that St Vincent and the Grenadines comes out bottom in this survey.....which basically tells me the parameters used in compiling the list are fundamentally flawed and misleading.

Waste of space by a paid journalist who doesn't know the Caribbean. But they got DR at the right end of the scale.