The Brightest children of the DR during the 40's & 50's.

May 12, 2005
Impressive Frank. You are dr1 royalty. I mean that sincerely. Thanks for the share. I'll pass the share on to my Dominican wife whose father was a maestro for Trujillo. Maestro Martinez recounts similar positive stories regarding Trujillo's reign in power.

P.S. It's unfortunate that the soon to be released movie regarding Trujillo will probably be devoid of balance.

The ironic thing is that most of those who speak ill of Trujillo praise Castro and Chavez.

neural

Dec 12, 2012
Frank12, your posts are awesome. Your uncle could proudly say he saw more units than a puta. In your family, the apple
did not fall far from the tree.

Sep 20, 2003
The truth about Trujillo is that he actually did accomplish a lot for the country.

In regards to education, Trujillo understood the value of education. (From memory) in 1920, only 120 students attended the sole university in the Dominican Republic. By the time Trujillo was assassinated in 1961, around 5,700 Dominicans were attending universities in the Republic (and that number did include Dominicans attending foreign universites).

He also built the rural education system. Albeit, far from perfect, I believe people should be honest enough to give Trujillo his due, he did make real, palapable progress in education.

Trujillo himself had a limited education (most of which he gained attending his Haitian grandmother's private school). However, Trujillo was a voracious reader, having private libraries in all of his homes. Trujillo appreciated education in a way that only someone denied a chance at an education really could.

Cue anti-Trujillo hystria...

Sep 20, 2003
What would one of my posts be without at least a few typos? :)

A small correction: 5,700 did not include (from what I understand) the number of Dominicans attending foreign universities. I'll try to check the number of students attending universities in 1961 when I have some free time this weekend.

...hysteria..