The Cardinal is at it again

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Hey, leave the Cardinal alone, all in all he's just another brick in the wall...

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
For the anticlerical Cardinal fans in DR1, here's the latest gossip...

Todays edition of HOY Digital mentions that veteran journalist Adolfo Salomon was fired after Armed Forces Secretary, Gen. Ramon Aquino, made a formal complaint to Color Vision, Mr. Salomon's employer, about an interview where Mr Solomon asked Major General Manuel de Js. Lopez Rodriguez (aka The Cardinal) about his views on gays in the Church.

According to Listin Diario, the government is now apologizing to Mr. Salomón.

Chiri, a few days ago, the Cardinal talked about how much the church has grown since he became el mero-mero. Then I started wondering if there are born-again Catholics. Seriously.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Could he be a closet case?

Why is the Cardinal so anti-gays? what causes him to be so sensitive about the issue of gays or gay-related questions?...hmmm, this is very puzzling.

And who or what gives him the authority to circumvent the law of freedom of expression?...Freedom of the press?
Is one direct question to him, however crude or out of place, (Not disrespectful) merits causing the firing of a reporter with eight years' experience to his credit? Eh?

What's up with this man's cozy association with the military? Only Muslim mullahs have a closer affiliation with the military! Does he imagine/consider himself to be Ayatollah-like? And why does the military regards him as if he were one?

And what's with this honorary or very real designation as a Major General of the armed forces? Is this for real? If it is, what ever happened to "separation of church and state"????.......This all very bewildering! It ....does not make sense! Aaarrghhh! :confused: Help! my mind is going, H.A.L. !!

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Why is the Cardinal so anti-gays?

the following may have something to do with it, ..

the Bible, ..Leviticus 20:

<DD>The LORD said to Moses, <DT>2 <DD>"Tell the Israelites: Anyone, whether an Israelite or an alien residing in Israel, who gives any of his offspring to Molech shall be put to death. Let his fellow citizens stone him. <DT>3 <DD>I myself will turn against such a man and cut him off from the body of his people; for in giving his offspring to Molech, he has defiled my sanctuary and profaned my holy name. <DT>4 <DD>Even if his fellow citizens connive at such a man's crime of giving his offspring to Molech, and fail to put him to death, <DT>5 <DD>I myself will set my face against that man and his family and will cut off from their people both him and all who join him in his wanton worship of Molech. <DT>6 <DD>Should anyone turn to mediums and fortune-tellers and follow their wanton ways, I will turn against such a one and cut him off from his people. <DT>7 <DD>Sanctify yourselves, then, and be holy; for I, the LORD, your God, am holy. <DT>8 <DD>Be careful, therefore, to observe what I, the LORD, who make you holy, have prescribed. <DT>9 <DD>"Anyone who curses his father or mother shall be put to death; since he has cursed his father or mother, he has forfeited his life. <DT>10 <DD>If a man commits adultery with his neighbor's wife, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall be put to death. <DT>11 <DD>If a man disgraces his father by lying with his father's wife, both the man and his stepmother shall be put to death; they have forfeited their lives. <DT>12 <DD>If a man lies with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall be put to death; since they have committed an abhorrent deed, they have forfeited their lives. <DT>13 <DD>If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives. <DT>14 <DD>If a man marries a woman and her mother also, the man and the two women as well shall be burned to death for their shameful conduct, so that such shamefulness may not be found among you. <DT>15 <DD>If a man has carnal relations with an animal, the man shall be put to death, and the animal shall be slain. <DT>16 <DD>If a woman goes up to any animal to mate with it, the woman and the animal shall be slain; let them both be put to death; their lives are forfeit. <DT>17 <DD>If a man consummates marriage with his sister or his half-sister, they shall be publicly cut off from their people for this shameful deed; the man shall pay the penalty of having had intercourse with his own sister. <DT>18 <DD>If a man lies in sexual intercourse with a woman during her menstrual period, both of them shall be cut off from their people, because they have laid bare the flowing fountain of her blood. <DT>19 <DD>You shall not have intercourse with your mother's sister or your father's sister; whoever does so shall pay the penalty of incest. <DT>20 <DD>If a man disgraces his uncle by having intercourse with his uncle's wife, the man and his aunt shall pay the penalty by dying childless. <DT>21 <DD>If a man marries his brother's wife and thus disgraces his brother, they shall be childless because of this incest. <DT>22 <DD>"Be careful to observe all my statutes and all my decrees; otherwise the land where I am bringing you to dwell will vomit you out. <DT>23 <DD>Do not conform, therefore, to the customs of the nations whom I am driving out of your way, because all these things that they have done have filled me with disgust for them. <DT>24 <DD>But to you I have said: Their land shall be your possession, a land flowing with milk and honey. I am giving it to you as your own, I, the LORD, your God, who have set you apart from the other nations. <DT>25 <DD>You, too, must set apart, then, the clean animals from the unclean, and the clean birds from the unclean, so that you may not be contaminated with the uncleanness of any beast or bird or of any swarming creature in the land that I have set apart for you. <DT>26 <DD>To me, therefore, you shall be sacred; for I, the LORD, am sacred, I, who have set you apart from the other nations to be my own. <DT>27 <DD><SUP>1</SUP> "A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortune-teller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death."

His God is not a fan of gayness.

...is lebianism ok, lol?
</DD>

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Everyone has rights. Gay or not.

The Bible, the Koran, the Torah et al, are all books that condemn ALL that does not conform to a moralist idea of morality. If you were to live your life "by the book", even sex with your wife or husband, for a purpose other than procreation, can be a sin.

My morality prohibits me from judging, harming or condemning anyone based on race or sexual preference. I will condemn, however, the evangelicals, catholics and others that live the hypocritical, two-faced, phony, deceitful, insincere existence.

I've seen way too many televangelists expound righteousness and eventually be found doing exactly what they've denounced.

I've read too many stories about catholic priests engaging in homosexuality and pedophilia.

I think it's time to keep our morality to ourselves.... In essence: Live and let live.....Let he who is without sin, throw the first stone. John: 8/7

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Never mind the gays - time to make a stand against shellfish. Then there's polyester! Repent, sinners and embrace natural fibres before it's too late.:dead:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
the following may have something to do with it, ..

the Bible, ..Leviticus 20:

His God is not a fan of gayness.

...is lebianism ok, lol?
</DD>

I am not a religious person at least for the last 25 years or so but as far as I know in the new testament there is not one passage or teaching by Jesus Christ that deals with homosexuality, not one. The above stuff is really scary.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
I've read too many stories about catholic priests engaging in homosexuality and pedophilia.

That may be the thing. ..he may be getting plenty of messages (aka confessions) suggesting gayness has penetrated too deep within his flock..

atienoor

Mar 8, 2004
Was Jesus a liberal?

Rumor has it that El Cardinal is not so popular amongst his own flock and peers! And not all catholics are so bad....... I for one do not lose sleep over what people do in their bedrooms. If God really had an issue with sexuality, why did he give us the gadgets? Just keep the priests away from the alter boys ;)

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
This time I will throw up my hands, rather than even begin to address the countless times posters imply or explicitly state that priests are pedophiles, that an inordinate number of priests are gay, or that the Cardinal is both.

I will refrain from any long posts pointing out that, for many Catholics, Cardinals occupy of place of honor. For many Catholics, the reverence they give this position inspires a certain amount of charity directed towards its occupant.

The Americanization (Lutherization?) of the world frowns on all heirarchies, I know, and is eager to cut down anything that hints of authority. :rolleyes:

Sexual accusations are the easiest way to defame, I guess.

What can I do?

Last time I posted in response to this, admittedly in anger and with a few strong words, someone blamed me for closing the thread, just before it *was* closed, and someone else looked up my profession, in order to tell me I'm no good at it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Maybe we would be more reverent if he was more tolerant. :)

PS I didn't 'look up' your profession - I was already aware of it without looking, seeing as we'd interacted in previous, less contentious threads, in which you mentioned you were a teacher. I have no idea what kind of teacher you are, but I restate that I prefer my children's teachers not to be homophobic, which going by your comments in the closed thread, appears to be the case.

atienoor

Mar 8, 2004
Well said Chiri

I wonder how we are supposed to have a just society when opinion leaders (clergymen/women et al) are pushing phobias and stereotypes down our throats.I guess we are all inherently biased, but wouldn't it be nice if we left those biases at home? One can only hope.

The apology to the journalist is a positive gesture. Once we start gagging freedom of expression, then we may as well fast-forward to the dark ages.

Fightingirish, I doubt if all people think that all priests are pedophiles. They are part of society and like any one of us, will bear the strengths and weaknesses of being human. However, when a faith whether catholic or not takes a "holier than thou" moral stance, they will be judged against that very morality bar.

Cardinals, priests like any other leader will be respected if they earn it!

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
I hope your kids' teachers are wonderful teachers. And I hope your profession (whatever it is) is something that fulfills you. That having been said, let's leave ALL of that out of the thread! ;) ;)

What makes me curious is that it be "homophobia" that jumps out at you from my posts. There were other posters calling people "fags", while I just wanted to make the point (and make it strongly) that people like the Cardinal, and probably 80% of the Dominicans with whom I interact, look at homosexuality VERY differently than do American liberals -- whose standards of what is "natural" were being used to critique the Cardinal.

My point was/is that it is a big world, with wildly different worldviews. Catholic, with a small c.

Maybe we would be more reverent if he was more tolerant. :)

PS I didn't 'look up' your profession - I was already aware of it without looking, seeing as we'd interacted in previous, less contentious threads, in which you mentioned you were a teacher. I have no idea what kind of teacher you are, but I restate that I prefer my children's teachers not to be homophobic, which going by your comments in the closed thread, appears to be the case.