The day has finally come...

Well I found my meter, it's a block away from my house on the road in our barrio.
Went to Edenorte and they said if it is high next month they will inspect it...

We will get our electrician to come check it out and I will do my own check tomorrow turning all the power to the house off and still see if it is running.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is no way a power meter should be anywhere but mounted to a wall on your own property.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Any time you want you can check if power is being stolen by turning off all of the breakers to your house. There should be one breaker box that feeds 220V to your house after the meter. Turn all of those off. Nothing should still be on except your inverter which probably would have kicked on. If your inverter is still charging, then you need a way to turn the power off to it as well. You never know what "electrician" hooked up things before.

So now that the power is off, go look at the meter. I am sure it is a newer digital one. It will periodically show how many kWh are being used. With everything off at your house, that should be "0.00" . If not, you have friends and neighbors hooked up to your meter.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The other thing to find out is how many other people are hooked to the transformer you are on. My guess is that it will be a lot of people. Not good for keeping the voltage where it belongs. The transformer should be as close as possible to your house.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Oh Harley, I am very sorry to hear that. Do what every you need to do to get your meter behind your wall.
At Tropico Mar, I have my own pole and transformer. My meter is on the pole on the street, but not on my property. We have the feed going to my property running in pvc pipe to prevent anyone tampering with my service.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This should become an interesting thread. Lots of interesting stuff.
One of my boys has almost become independent of the CDEEE...Solar panels are 1/2 the price they were a few years and more powerful. He paid like $300 per 220 w.panes and installed 22 of them. His whole house is low consumption. A/C units are the new kind that don't spike when they go on.

He pays CDEEE 700 in the hot months and 200 during the cooler months. If you want to talk to him, send me a pm..

HB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You are correct about a pool pump being a big draw but incorrect on the voltage comment.
In the DR, just like in Canada, one pays by the kilowatt, volts times amps equal watts, so it makes no difference on the luz bill.
If we paid by the amp, the cost would be cut in half if the pump was wired to 220 volts.

Thanks Steve, I know pools are your area of expertise.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This should become an interesting thread. Lots of interesting stuff.
One of my boys has almost become independent of the CDEEE...Solar panels are 1/2 the price they were a few years and more powerful. He paid like $300 per 220 w.panes and installed 22 of them. His whole house is low consumption. A/C units are the new kind that don't spike when they go on.

He pays CDEEE 700 in the hot months and 200 during the cooler months. If you want to talk to him, send me a pm..

HB

To verify,
My panels (190W) were about $1300 in 2008/9.

$300-400 today.

I throttled waaaay back in late 2008 (check the DJII to see why) but have added since.

15 in total now.... battery bank is key - don't skimp there.

Pool is independent of the house system

I have about 3,000W on the roof and two people live comfortably.
LED bulbs, low energy everything.
Draws about 10% nightly.....from the bank of 36 deep cycle gels