The Dominican Photo Gallery

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Great photos! BTW is the a place on dr1 with photos of dr1 members? I seem to recall there was.

Yumnuk

Jun 27, 2009
Great photos! BTW is the a place on dr1 with photos of dr1 members? I seem to recall there was.
Glad you like the photos. I also recall a section on DR1 with photos of members, but I do not remember the location.

Yumnuk

Jun 27, 2009

Panor?mica Laguna Cabral. by Guty Herrera, on Flickr

IMG_1479 bote laguna Cabral sm by Carlos.2009, on Flickr

RINCON LAGOON, CABRAL 6V by CAFDFLICK, on Flickr

_MG_7157 by Tulio Marti, on Flickr

Laguna de Cabral by Tulio Marti, on Flickr

atardecer laguna de rincon by alebreu, on Flickr

The Lagoon at Cabral or Rincon, 47 square kms., contains the largest body of fresh water in the whole country. Located in the Municipality of Cabral in the province of Barahona, it is used by thousands of migratory birds that fly over the national territory from the north to the southwest.

It is the habitat of the so-called Creole duck and thorny duck, flamingo, white-crowned pigeon, Florida duck and the black rooster. A total of 134 species have been reported of resident and migratory birds. Among the fauna also are the river shrimp, fresh water turtles and other endemic species of the island of Hispaniola.

The flora, on the other hand, contributes beautifully with aquatic plants like the lotus, the water lily, the so-called hicotea grass and the parrot grass.

The Cabral lagoon, and its surrounding area, were declared a scientific reserve in 1983; thereby guaranteeing the development and the preservation of its natural habitat.

Yumnuk

Jun 27, 2009
Birds of the Dominican Republic

Trog?n de la Hispaniola (Priotelus roseigaster) by mariodavalos.com, on Flickr

Hispaniolan Woodpecker by Galah2009, on Flickr

Melanerpes striatus - Hispaniolan Woodpecker - Pic d'Hispaniola - 14/02/09 by Philippe_Boissel, on Flickr

Hispaniolan Lizard Cuckoo by Galah2009, on Flickr

Hispaniolan American Kestrel (Falco sparverius dominicensis) by K.P. McFarland, on Flickr

The avifauna of the Dominican Republic includes a total of 290 species, of which 29 are endemic, 9 have been introduced by humans, and 33 are rare or accidental. 14 species are globally threatened.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Nice photos. A way too heavy hand on the "photoshop button" with many of them... especially in the first couple of batches; but a lot of nice ones too. That shot of Bavaro beach made me think I was having an LSD flashback. LOL (j/k... I never dropped any acid, lol.)

Yumnuk

Jun 27, 2009
Nice photos. A way too heavy hand on the "photoshop button" with many of them... especially in the first couple of batches; but a lot of nice ones too. That shot of Bavaro beach made me think I was having an LSD flashback. LOL (j/k... I never dropped any acid, lol.)

Thanks, I am glad you like the photos.

As far as the photoshop, there is one thing I have learned it is that people love HDR photos that are extreme. However, when it comes to HDR, I am kinda of in the middle. I enjoy shooting my own HDR shots, and I get a kick out of processing them. I know some people are at the complete other end of the spectrum. They hate any HDR that doesn?t look natural and photorealistic.

Yumnuk

Jun 27, 2009
The Cibao Valley

Valle de Constanza by cperez7, on Flickr

Los Montasitos by Hein Rich ?, on Flickr

Dominican Republic (blast from the past) by Roberto Israel, on Flickr

On Sanity road by Mercedes.. Life as I Pictured, on Flickr

Panor?mica compuesta por 3 im?genes by Luis Diaz Photography, on Flickr

Arcoiris by Scarlett_FG, on Flickr

9Jun4886 by SkyHoppers Aerial Adventures, on Flickr

Cibao, usually referred as "El Cibao", is a region of the Dominican Republic located at the northern part of the country.
The Ta?no word Cibao, meaning "place where rocks abound", was originally applied to the central mountain range, and used during the Spanish conquest to refer to the rich and fertile valley between the Central and Septentrional mountain ranges.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks, I am glad you like the photos.

As far as the photoshop, there is one thing I have learned it is that people love HDR photos that are extreme. However, when it comes to HDR, I am kinda of in the middle. I enjoy shooting my own HDR shots, and I get a kick out of processing them. I know some people are at the complete other end of the spectrum. They hate any HDR that doesn’t look natural and photorealistic.

When color photography first became readily available, many/most "purists" hated that too! Called it a fad, or worse. LOL I say, to each his own taste. After all... beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. There's plenty of room in the "pool" for all. I learned very early on to not make my photos to please others, I make them to please myself, (except in some rare cases of specific client requirements). It's worked pretty well so far.

Yumnuk

Jun 27, 2009
When color photography first became readily available, many/most "purists" hated that too! Called it a fad, or worse. LOL I say, to each his own taste. After all... beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. There's plenty of room in the "pool" for all. I learned very early on to not make my photos to please others, I make them to please myself, (except in some rare cases of specific client requirements). It's worked pretty well so far.
I totally agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Often times, while browsing forums, I encounter individuals claiming: I am a Photography Purist? Manipulating photos is like cheating? I like to have perfect photos straight out of the camera? My grandmother can use a digital camera, but that doesn't make her a photographer? Digital cameras make for lazy photographers.

At times I cannot help, but think that half of them are amateurs who refuse to have anything to do with processing software.LOL.

Yumnuk

Jun 27, 2009
Bahia de Las Aguilas

Bahia de las Aguilas 02 by New Perspectives: Dominican Republic, on Flickr

Bahia de las Aguila by alebreu, on Flickr

DSC_6522.001 by F?lix David, on Flickr

IMG_3920 Bahia de las aguilas by V?ctor Ml. Fern?ndez, on Flickr

Turquoise by huellas1970, on Flickr

Bah?a de las ?guilas 2 by oscarvg72, on Flickr

Bahia de Las Aguilas by Cocuyo SCL, on Flickr

Camino de Bah?a de Las ?guilas by oscarvg72, on Flickr

Literally "Eagles Bay", Bahia de las Aguilas is an 8 km long beach along the southwestern coast of the Dominican Republic. It belongs to the Jaragua National Park, and it is considered by Dominicans as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Yumnuk

Jun 27, 2009
Los Haitises National Park

DSC_0929 by destebani, on Flickr

DSC_0937 by destebani, on Flickr

Los Haitises by FX Stapleton, on Flickr

Los Haitises by Goku_Abreu, on Flickr

PB230479 by ymeng00, on Flickr

9Jun3018 by SkyHoppers Aerial Adventures, on Flickr

Los Haitises National Park is a national park located on the remote northeast coast of the Dominican Republic. It is a protected virgin forest with little road access. The number of tourists allowed is limited, but since 2000 it has been a relatively popular destination for ecotourism. Haitis (singular) means highland or mountain range in the Ta?no language.

Yumnuk

Jun 27, 2009
Monte Cristi - Dominican Republic

2662296760052954010AKLcoY_fs by Quisqueya LA Bella, on Flickr

Sunrise Over the Salt Flats by NickBiancardi, on Flickr

160730923IZkirH_fs by Quisqueya LA Bella, on Flickr

Quisqueya by Quisqueya LA Bella, on Flickr

Hidden Gem by ekatie, on Flickr

DR by Quisqueya LA Bella, on Flickr

2655894570052954010cshCbx_fs by Quisqueya LA Bella, on Flickr

San Fernando de Monte Cristi is the capital of Monte Cristi Province, Dominican Republic. It is located in the northwest of the country in the coastal lowlands.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The other side of the coin

Saturday afternoon sailing the Ozama river in SD city.

Pictures taken today by one of my cousins.

JJ