The Dominican

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
doesnt bother me ! does it actually bother Dominicans , has anyone bothered to ask......some people have just got into the habit of correcting other people whilst making worse errors themselves

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Not really a problem I guess,just sounds incomplete like going to the "Virgins"
I have more issues with germans calling it DOM REP ,sounds like a bad rap
Manu

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I call it Dominican... I don't care what people here think... I'm 'edumacated' and not 'chopo'
It's a short form... who cares ?!?!?! Maybe find something more important to harp on ?

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I guess the way I see it is probably skewed by coming from a "vacationland" in its own right. When people "from away" come to town and mispronounce the names of all my personal places it does get annoying.

So when I hear Dominican it reminds me of that base level of ignorance of an actual place. Who knew Mainers could also be chopo.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I've never understood the big deal of saying "The Dominican" or just "Dominican", it's been used in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Caribbean Travel and Life, etc....If someone says "Dominica" that's a different story as it is a different country altogether...

I agree that calling the country "Santo Domingo" which is pretty popular, is annoying, because it is confusing....and most Dominicans I know who shorten the name, call this country "La Republica"...which I guess is akin to Americans calling the USA "The States"...

I know what you mean, calling the country Santo Domingo has to do with the fact that the country at one point was named after Santo Domingo De Guzman a Dominican priest born on 1170. I guess many people sometimes prefer the old.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
I am not Dominican and hearing that is like nails on chalkboard to me...and I don't know why.

SHALENA

Because it is bad English. It isn't really a issue of it offending Dominicans. It just annoys an English speaker who knows better. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of thing but it just sounds weird.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
may i call you bronx or would that be another shortened name that annoys everyone lol

people usually lengthen my name which is also a bit weird,,,,,but i answer to anything

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀ ▀
666 Points
This is just too much for me to bear.

I?m going to take a break from the D.R. and head down to Santiago de Le?n de Caracas,
.... which is in the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela for those who don?t know where it?s located!

SantiagoDR

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I know what you mean, calling the country Santo Domingo has to do with the fact that the country at one point was named after Santo Domingo De Guzman a Dominican priest born on 1170. I guess many people sometimes prefer the old.

When I'm going to the DR, I say I'm going to Santo Domingo, that if I'm talking with my family and Dominican friends. All my Dominican friends say the same thing when they are going to the DR. If I'm talking with someone from another country I say I'm going to my country, if he doesn't know where I'm from, I'll tell s/he the Dominican Republic.

If I'm talking to a Dominican that doesn't know me well and I tell that person that I'm going to Santo Domingo, s/he automatically is going to ask me what part of Santo Domingo I'm from, which I'm going to answer Santiago.

When a Dominican in the USA says that s/he is going to Santo Domingo, they don't Mean La Capital.

Art?culo 9.- Territorio nacional. El territorio de la Rep?blica Dominicana es inalienable. Est? conformado por: 1)La parte oriental de la isla de Santo Domingo, sus islas adyacentes y el conjunto de elementos naturales de su geomorfolog?a marina. Sus l?mites terrestres irreductibles est?n fijados por el Tratado Fronterizo de 1929 y su Protocolo de Revisi?n de 1936. Las autoridades nacionales velan por el cuidado, protecci?n y mantenimiento de los bornes que identifican el trazado de la l?nea de demarcaci?n fronteriza, de conformidad con lo dispuesto en el tratado fronterizo y en las normas de Derecho Internacional;

I rather hear The Dominican than someone saying that they are from Santo Domingo when they are really from Moca, BC, PC, etc.

As per the Article 9 of the Dominican Republic Constitution, the name of the island is the Island of Santo Domingo.

When I and any other Dominican outside of the DR say that we are going to Santo Domingo, we mean we are going to the Dominican side of the island. Dominican are very proud of their place of birth no matter where in the DR they were bored. I will never say I'm from "La Capital".

I as a Dominican I don't care if you call the country DR, The Dominican, The Republic, Dominican Republic, Quisqueya or Santo Domingo. And all the Dominican that I know don't care either.

Only a Gringo would care about something as meaningless as this :confused: We Dominican have to many problems to think or argue about something this trivial. So, call it whatever you want to call it as long as it is understandable that you mean The Dominican Republic.

I know The Dominican sound incomplete and awkward in English, but that doesn't mean the end of the world like some posters wants to make it look.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know AE is sitting on the sidelines :p:p:p:laugh::laugh::laugh:

She sure did stir the pot a bit. :laugh::laugh:

Who knew???:laugh:

My Dominican husband refers to the entire country as Santo Domingo. I learned that years ago. When he says so-and-so is from Santo Domingo, I know to ask "What city?" because 9 times out of 10 it's not the capital.

Can anyone tell me the year the country changed names from Santo Domingo to Republica Dominicana? I know the city of Santo Domingo was called Ciudad Trujillo for decades, so I'm thinking the country at that time was Santo Domingo???

AE

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
29du25u.png

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I definitely don't think its the end of the world but I find it funny when people call it the Dominican in the same sentence that they are asking about how to rent a house or find a job. I mean, really? You are REALLY gonna move somewhere not even knowing the proper name of the country?

SHALENA