The DR Military...

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Apart from being a jerk you apparently have no reason why most soldiers join the Army here.

As far as me lying about my disability I broke my back on a parachute jump in '86 while in the 407th of the 82 Airborne at Holland drop zone at Ft. Bragg NC - know it all.

You called it correct and I'm pulling my foot out of my mouth.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Regardless of whether these guys make sufficient money, or whether some of you on this forum feel they are necessary or not; my hat go's off to these guys. They go through pure hell on a daily basis, apart from the fact that they are not appreciated, they also get accused of being corrupt, when infact their bosses are the ones doing all the wrong things.

If it wasn't for these guys, the DR of today would be far worse than what we currently see today. Just take a look see to the western part of this Island, or better yet look towards many countries on the continent of Africa.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What I don't understand is why some could justify these soldiers salaries.

For those who don't know already, the only Dominicans that would justify the salaries of the professionals such as the military, police and medical professionals are the one's who are receiving benefits from the government in some way or another and for obvious reasons it does not benefit them for said professionals to make more money because it means less for them. These same people have a stifling hold on the media here and you should here some of the radio or tv programs by supposed "unbiased" media that laugh off the disproportionate wages officials of the government make compared to the real public servants in this country.

Keep that in mind the next time a cop stops you and wants a small tip.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would like to add when I first got here I was stopped a lot and asked for tips and paid. After some time I would tell them I had no change but after finding out salaries from family in the military here and also from military I would give free rides when travelling around the country I decided there is nothing wrong with giving them a small tip if they ask.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
I was in the Army back in the US, and I use to think that being paid $3200 dollars a month was a low, I don't know how these dudes do it on about $100 dollars a month.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
I was in the Army back in the US, and I use to think that being paid $3200 dollars a month was a low, I don't know how these dudes do it on about $100 dollars a month.
It was 400.00 in 1984 when I enlisted and a 1000.00 when I ETS now pfc make 1500.00

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Where's the Air Force?

Yes, where are the "super Tucanos" airplanes that cost a fortune to the country??? May be sitting somewhere getting rusty as the DR don't afford to gas them.

I heard that in a half hour flight they will waste in gas the amount of money I don't make in one year!

JJ

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Where's the Air Force?

supertucano2.jpg

Missil_PythonIII.jpg

avcr_49100.jpg

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nrKNIWuA6oQ&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nrKNIWuA6oQ&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

110208f9999r101.jpg

Training the new batches of penitentiary guards under the control of the FAD facilities:
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvvQChohc1E&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UvvQChohc1E&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

2yjy81x.jpg

34rg45h.jpg

simulacro3.jpg

fadys2.jpg

simulacro2.jpg

Simulacro.jpg

sm7k40.jpg

rrup7q.jpg

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
seems like the guys who stole the twin engined aircraft should have been a tasty morsel for the Super Tucanos, no?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Big Whiskey
You were over paid! an E1 in Mar. 1965 made 78.00, and E2 85.80, Then they bitched because the military got a 10% giving us a whopping 87.90 for an E1, and 97.50 for an E2. When I was discharged in Mar 1969 as an E6 making 331.20 with qtr allowance of 110.10. if you got hazard pay think was 16.00
Historical Military Pay Rates | Military.com

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Hey Pichardo those helicopters and airplanes looks alike some I have seen on I-95 South Carolina, in a junkyard...

Now I have a feeling of pride for DR military forces, let's declare the war to ....

JJ

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Big Whiskey
You were over paid! an E1 in Mar. 1965 made 78.00, and E2 85.80, Then they bitched because the military got a 10% giving us a whopping 87.90 for an E1, and 97.50 for an E2. When I was discharged in Mar 1969 as an E6 making 331.20 with qtr allowance of 110.10. if you got hazard pay think was 16.00

At least you got C-Rations. Have you ever eaten an MRE? An LSR? Reconstituted, processed, preservative laden and nasty...but with a 50 year shelf life. LOL

Nobody enters the military to get rich but if these guys play their cards right they'll have free medical and dental, 3 squares and a cot and the possibility of receiving training that they can translate into a civilian job skill upon ETS and yes, they will have the opportunity to define their personal values and apply what they've learned on a daily basis in addition to the development of leadership skills. In 1974 I left the USPS making 8600/ month for the USAF making 3600/ month. I never regretted that move for a minute. Big ups to these kids. They're moving in the right direction. It sure beats being a mototigre.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Dread
MRI cant be worse than K-rats, square hotdogs that were green. or the C-rat pound cakes that seemed like they really weighted that much. nothing to soak them in you could drive nails with them. But then you could always use the C-4 for sterno to heat things up.
Was not complaing, the training in the Army got me 30 years with good pay at GTE.

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
Regardless of whether these guys make sufficient money, or whether some of you on this forum feel they are necessary or not; my hat go's off to these guys. They go through pure hell on a daily basis, apart from the fact that they are not appreciated, they also get accused of being corrupt, when infact their bosses are the ones doing all the wrong things.

If it wasn't for these guys, the DR of today would be far worse than what we currently see today. Just take a look see to the western part of this Island, or better yet look towards many countries on the continent of Africa.

they have soldiers in abundance in the countries you are referring to, what they don't have are working civilian institutions. for all its faults, in contrast to a lot of other latin american countries, the dominican political system got its military in check pretty early. they still have a large influence, but they are controlled by civilian politicians ever since the 1960's.
i'm not saying everybody in the exercito is corrupt and i'm not judging the lower ranks in the dominican republic for their corruption. they get paid miserably, so they have to make things work. my only point is that most of them are not joining the army out of a sense of pride or in defense of their country, and that the low payment creates problems that could be avoided with a decent salary.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
they have soldiers in abundance in the countries you are referring to, what they don't have are working civilian institutions. for all its faults, in contrast to a lot of other latin american countries, the dominican political system got its military in check pretty early. they still have a large influence, but they are controlled by civilian politicians ever since the 1960's.
i'm not saying everybody in the exercito is corrupt and i'm not judging the lower ranks in the dominican republic for their corruption. they get paid miserably, so they have to make things work. my only point is that most of them are not joining the army out of a sense of pride or in defense of their country, and that the low payment creates problems that could be avoided with a decent salary.

The Dominican Military has more power than you think, and the civilian leaders are aware of how far they can go.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Big Whiskey

Don't blame me I was a 17 yr old high school graduate who din't want to work in my fathers business and din't want to go to college so me being the blacksheep I was I joined the Army and never had a regret.