The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Actually no Mr CT Rob ( and you know i respect your opinions, on and off forum)..

but some restaurants are actually doing better than ever , with the " new normal" of TAKE OUT only.. ( or OUTSIDE dining)

Faster, no limit ( tables and chairs limit how much you can make ).. "everyone knows the rules" (stole that from Davey Portnoy, u tube legend)
Order your stuff, pay, pick up. GTFO... N E X T !!!!!!!! just like on Olympia Diner .
cheee burge cheeburge... No Coke , Pepsi ..
they R making a KILLING..
but Sosua does not have a SINGLE Such Place , not ONE..

which Mathematically PROVES which Demographics SUPPORTED the Town of Sosua ..

its Math .. and it is a mathematical fact , more so now than ever ..

but if you can show me a SINGLE Restaurant in Sosua , with a LINE going around the corner for their Take out Food ,
I will be proven wrong, and apologize .
Dominican restaurant behind Gordos rent a car car wash.. only serves lunch 95% Dominican workers go there ..that’s where areas styrofoam comes from...

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Let me put my observations here, as a business owner whose location is very close to the reknown New Garden Hotel.
The "Jet Blue crew" are still arriving, and many in the town are thankful for that.
My numbers for this month are very healthy, one of my best July's here. Some of that success has to do with the competition set in their old fashioned/brick and mortar ways closing there doors , some of it also with the pent up demand, and some of it is that our digital sales process is strong .
The new curfew will not affect us that much. And I dare say it will be the same for the other healthy business's in Sosua who adhere to safety protocols and already had a strong operation and can adapt.
The beach is open. Stores are open. Restaurants are open.
So we close earlier, no big deal. Everyone adapts to the hours , including clients and tourists.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

The company Valetta Holding SRL has built a rock groyne off the coast of Sosúa near the renovated Marriott hotel.
This groyne has now ensured that a new beach has been created there. The intention is that the groyne will function as a breakwater and influence the wave current, which will prevent the coral reefs from being flooded by the swept sand during storms. According to the ecologist Gabriela Rosa of the Maguá Ecological Foundation, the resulting lagoon will stimulate coral growth and provide a breeding ground for young fish and invertebrates. The newly created beach is also very attractive for the guests of the Marriott hotel. The renovated Marriott hotel is an enrichment for Sosúa and, thanks to a professional marketing strategy, should attract many guests to Sosúa. Marriott International plans to open two more hotels in Sosúa and Cabarete in the coming year.

07-19.jpg

Reactions: JD Jones and cavok

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
didnt mean to offend you, you're one of those that thinks its acceptable to raise a family in hooker central
Your the one that defines Sosua by one block not me ..we are one big(no pun)community ..your block got out of hand and had to be reeled in ..I’m sorry for you , behave and you shouldn’t see more rules by government ..

Reactions: JD Jones

Thea Sandmael

Jul 21, 2020
Sosua
Your the one that defines Sosua by one block not me ..we are one big(no pun)community ..your block got out of hand and had to be reeled in ..I’m sorry for you , behave and you shouldn’t see more rules by government ..

Nothing wrong with prostitutes, its a good income generate for my dad...

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
There are those with limited focus who see a small section of Pedro Clisante as Sosua. They somehow miss the fact that there are 50,000 people that live there.

How many restaurants have already failed? I know of Sinatras and the Chinese place near Sunset Plaza.
Matteo's place is up for sale.

Any others throw in the towel?
Many of those 50,000 have kitchens and a fixed income. Unfortunately aren’t able to frequent the local restaurants as much as they and the restaurant owners would like. Also, they are always looking for bargains. Understandably so.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Matteo's new place where Britannia used to be is for sale.

I am sorry to hear that. I didn't notice when driving by the other day. He did a good job at the first place and I was hoping he would do even better with the better exposure but unfortunately I so not think he will be alone. Someone told me Sinatra's will not be reopening.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Let me put my observations here, as a business owner whose location is very close to the reknown New Garden Hotel.
The "Jet Blue crew" are still arriving, and many in the town are thankful for that.
My numbers for this month are very healthy, one of my best July's here. Some of that success has to do with the competition set in their old fashioned/brick and mortar ways closing there doors , some of it also with the pent up demand, and some of it is that our digital sales process is strong .
The new curfew will not affect us that much. And I dare say it will be the same for the other healthy business's in Sosua who adhere to safety protocols and already had a strong operation and can adapt.
The beach is open. Stores are open. Restaurants are open.
So we close earlier, no big deal. Everyone adapts to the hours , including clients and tourists.

I would say that if you are a restaurant, especially catering mostly to expats you probably would be ok since many of the older expats that dine out don't dine too late. I would say that bars and restaurants that earn most of their monies from the sale of alcohol will suffer the most. Having said that I was at Kings (formerly known as Rumba) a few times lately and the outside seating area was almost full with mostly mongers and the girls that have quickly returned. I did notice that Baileys has yet to reopen and I'm not sure about New Garden. Also Montreal (not sure of the name) across the corner from Kings is also yet to open.

Reactions: CristoRey

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Me too. But still I love it as a wonderful place to swim. If not those IDIOTS on banana-boats.
Amazing good luck they have not run over a swimmer as far as I know.
Not many beaches in the world allow motor boats to zip around with kids at the helm.
Being run over is the biggest risk to swimming in Sosua.

Reactions: irsav

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am sorry to hear that. I didn't notice when driving by the other day. He did a good job at the first place and I was hoping he would do even better with the better exposure but unfortunately I so not think he will be alone. Someone told me Sinatra's will not be reopening.
Sinatra's will not be reopening, that is true.

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
He’s NOT Closing. Just trying to sell. He’ll be operating it while it’s for sale.

Reactions: Garyexpat

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
With the attempt at ending the prostitution in Sosua, so that Sosua may be reborn as a family destination, does anyone know what the actual plan is?

Would it not make more sense to just move the prostitution to another area and attempt to 'control' it? It's not like you can end it, the mongers will continue to come, and the ladies will continue offer their services.
Yes, and that will soon be happening

Painting beautiful murals all over the town center is not for the benefit of the visitors who come for the prostitutes. And all the recent construction, renovation and already announced new tourist facilities is not, either. Neither was purchase of 3 new garbage trucks, or the work being done to repair the sidewalks.

The plan is to locate the prostitutes at the far end of Pedro Clisante and let the visitors who come for them congregate there,

Status
Not open for further replies.