The more i visit the city & country the less like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dayuuumnn Dark, that's pretty harsh. you must have been done pretty badly at some point.
I cannot let you slide, because you made several blanket statements which are not true of all dominicans. How can you possibly assert that all dominicans are lazy, stupid, and ruthless? That's just plain wrong.
My first trip to the country was in 2008, to Santiago, and SD. As I've recounted before, my rental car was stolen from the parking lot of my hotel, along with my passport, that of my fiancee, and other valuables. I became very well aquainted with the inside of the police station.
At that point in time, I was totally unfamiliar with dominican culture.
So, what do I do? I stay my fat azz away from SD as much as possible, visit other parts of the island that are not as entrenched with tigueres, am very careful of who I associate with, and learn as much as I can about the culture and people.
Only problem I've had since, was being pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt.
I may be wrong here, but I think that your attitude and arrogance may play a large part in your negative experience.

in my part of the world, we have a simple old saying. it pararphrases this way..

do not sit on the back of a cow and cuss him out at the same time. that is how it translates, absent the dialects.

there are thousands of foreigners in this country who are here because being here is to their advantage, in one way or another. it is really an ugly look to see these people go on these uncontrolled tirades against these people. yes, it grinds me down when the tv goes dead at halftime in the World Cup. i hate it when the guy from Claro works on the line outside my house and my internet goes dead for 3 days. yes, this is the land of stuff happens.

maybe it is just me, but when those things bother me to the degree where i feel the need to torch the people from every angle, then i am out of here..

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
More or less I agree. But Topek stArted this thread he kind dropped out.  His was a common experience of anyone experiencing culture shock.  His insight as a European from a formerly communist country made it of particular interest to me.  His utterly charming use of English and his ability to communicate.  Seems like we helped him to understand a few things about his experiences here.  

I hope he sticks around. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
More or less I agree. But Topek stArted this thread he kind dropped out.  His was a common experience of anyone experiencing culture shock.  His insight as a European from a formerly communist country made it of particular interest to me.  His utterly charming use of English and his ability to communicate.  Seems like we helped him to understand a few things about his experiences here.  

I hope he sticks around. 

i would not begin to believe i can understand what informs his assessment of the place. the dynamics are too complicated to ponder. i wish him well..

Status
Not open for further replies.