The most disgusting video on the DR

May 12, 2005
Modern conviences??? The DR??? They cant even keep the electricity on here for 24 hours straight!

I went to Banco Popular today to withdraw some dollars out of a dollar account I have there and they told me they didn't have any dollars. I said, "yes you do, you have the ones I gave you when I deposited them". They said, "come back tomorrow and maybe we will have some".

Modern conviences?? How many time have you been here?

LMAO!

Larry

Larry, thanks for making me laugh. That's such a great DR story. That's why I love the place.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Please no insults.

Progress is important, but look what it has done to so many other parts of the world. Doesnt the DR really have enough of all the modern conviences to suit anoyone, and yet manitain its unspoiled beauty. Please dont let the DR become just another meca for industry and growth. Where in the heck will all of us 'over stimulated, over rushed, over done " americans go to catch our breath and remember what its like to take life slow and appreciate the beauty thats left in this world. ? I love the DR....dont ruin it with greed !

danceaway, would you like DR to remain an unspoilt paradise? you are 600 years too late!

come and live here, without proper electricity, washing in cold water, sweating and swearing in traffic jams. DR needs investments and progress.
maybe you americans should stick to america? holiday in alaska, it's clean and unspoilt! america is a big country, baby, maybe you don't know, i've heard that for americans are not at all good in geography.

nobody's taking away AI resorts, tourism is what brings money to this country. but i truly pray for DR to be more like america/europe industrialy and legally. then the only thing left to do is shoot ALL dominicans into space (in 2075) and populate this island with organized and civilized immigrants.

ps i showed the video to minovio, he matter-of-factly said "yeah, those are government projects" and did not even flinch a muscle when i was p*ssing myself with laughter..... geez, what a country....

Last edited by a moderator:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Larry that is a funny story.

Frank - tu estas loco man. How can you say that's why you love the DR. hehehehehe that should be like once of the reasons why you might HATE the DR LOL. Imagine you needing some cash, go to the bank and they come up with some crap like that. I would have a fit right then and there. But I'm sure Larry didn't. I bet he's already Domincanized and knows how things run down there. All the BS and non-sense you have to "put up" with. Larry - did you get your cash the following day?

Back on topic:

I have shown this video to a few family members and they are left in awe by how "amazing" "our country" is going to be one all those projects are completed. Some people are just oblivious but what can we do??? Educate, educate, educate and never stop EDUCATING.

It's a shame but that is just the way things are in the beautiful Dominican Republic. The way it is in many capitalist nations through out the world.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Imagine you needing some cash, go to the bank and they come up with some crap like that. I would have a fit right then and there. But I'm sure Larry didn't. I bet he's already Domincanized and knows how things run down there. All the BS and non-sense you have to "put up" with. Larry - did you get your cash the following day?

That was yesterday. That's why it was still fresh in my mind I guess. i am going back today.

I can always go to another branch although that dosen't insure that they will have dollars either. This time, however, instead of waiting on line for 20 minutes so they can tell me there are no dollars, I will walk right up to the teller and ask if there are dollars. If there are, then I will get on the line.

Larry

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
el tigre, sorry for foul language, she drives me crazy, this girl!
i promise to change...

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Progress is important, but look what it has done to so many other parts of the world. Doesnt the DR really have enough of all the modern conviences to suit anoyone, and yet manitain its unspoiled beauty. Please dont let the DR become just another meca for industry and growth. Where in the heck will all of us 'over stimulated, over rushed, over done " americans go to catch our breath and remember what its like to take life slow and appreciate the beauty thats left in this world. ? I love the DR....dont ruin it with greed !

Danceaway, I am sure you realise how selfish this wish for the Dominican Republic not to progress is, just so that Americans and Canadians and Europeans have something to 'catch our breath'. Of course, dealing with increasing levels of consumption and pollution in countries like China, India, Brazil, and indeed the Dominican Republic while we can't even cope with the pollution we produce in North America and Europe is one of the major challenges of our time. I think it is very encouraging to see that two of the fantasy projects in the video are about a natural park and clean water in the Rio Ozama. Of course practice will be different, but at least a clean environment and unspoiled nature can be part of the Dominican idea of modernity. But to deny Dominicans progress and comfort because we wouldn't have a place to hide for a short vacation from our growth and industry and the wealthy and comfortable life that come with it is a bit rich don't you think?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
el tigre, sorry for foul language, she drives me crazy, this girl!
i promise to change...

Don't fall into the trap of taking things too personally.

Think, say, dream

ITS JUST A FORUM, ITS JUST A FORUM, ITS JUST A STUPID FORUM.;)

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
The ad was not about any of those "projects", but rather a PR stunt from Grupo Abrisa in attempt to make Grupo Abrisa appear as a company that is good for the Dominican Republic..

The ad ends saying the following (en español):

Our future can be more than a dream,
To believe in the Dominican Republic is the best investment.

And then it ties Grupo Abrisa to the message and done.

EXactly! ..nothing disgusting about this extremely succesful Dominican company running this ad.

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
..its also trying to raise public money for one of its main project:

Cap Cana, 2009

The Cap Cana resort, located next to Punta Cana international airport, covers an area twice the size of Manhattan. According to the company's Web site, the projected total investment is $1.5 billion.
The company will carry out roadshows in London on Monday and Tuesday, Miami on Wednesday and New York on Thursday, the person said.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
This time, however, instead of waiting on line for 20 minutes so they can tell me there are no dollars, I will walk right up to the teller and ask if there are dollars. If there are, then I will get on the line.
You're assuming that she will actually check to see if they have dollars and not just say, "Yes".

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
You're assuming that she will actually check to see if they have dollars and not just say, "Yes".

I went to a different branch and got my dollars today.

The the poster who claimed that the DR has all the modern conviences has to be smoking something. Come live here and find out how inconvienent life is. There are many things I like about living here but this is a 3rd world country and does not have modern convienences.

Larry

Sep 19, 2005
the country will never get to anything like they show it to be on that video.....as long as there is the level of CORUPTION in goverment that they have now. Period end of story done deal ect ect ect

they should publically excecute everyone they catch taking brides and extorting money and polifering budgets of goverment agencies.

its all pipe dreams..

i think if they had only a third of the coruption they have in goverment and military, they would have almost all the things the public needs in a few years. its nothing to put it together...the electricity infrastructure, the schooling needs, the roads, the policeing......they could have it if the money didnt dissapear.... and because it dissapears, the bad guys with money know they can buy what ever they want..

corruption

everything else is a miniscule problem comparatively

bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Real reforms such as: a fair and predictable justice system, stronger private property rights, a more representational government, and a huge reduction in government corruption needed to be implemented in the DR before any of these dreams can be achieved.

-Helpmann :)
Before you can effectively take advantage of those things, you need a REAL Civil Service System, one that totally ignores political patronage.