The New Punta Cana Terminal B

What do you think of the new Terminal B?

• 5 = Excellent

Votes: 4 36.4%

Votes: 2 18.2%

Votes: 1 9.1%

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 1 = Horrible

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No idea how they are divvied up now although the article in this week's DR1 Travel News suggests that one serves the Americas and the other serves European flights.
What we've done up till now is drive to the old terminal A and ask the porters which terminal served our flight.
President Medina opens new Punta Cana Airport terminal
President Danilo Medina was in Punta Cana on Saturday, 29 November 2014 for the formal inauguration of Terminal B at the Punta Cana International Airport. Speaking during the event, Tourism Minister Francisco Javier Garcia praised the Punta Cana brand. He highlighted that the Dominican Republic is the leader in tourism in the Caribbean region. He said the opening of the new terminal was further proof of continued improvements and developments in the sector. He commented that travel was up 14.5% in October and annual growth is at 10% including October, way above the regional average. He highlighted that all the DR's source markets were showing growth this year: Europe is up 6%, South America 18% and the US 12%.
Speaking at the inauguration, Puntacana Group CEO Frank Rainieri stated that the new terminal makes the Punta Cana International Airport the most modern in the Caribbean. The airport receives the largest volume of traffic in the Dominican Republic, most of it consisting of tourists headed for the beach resorts in the area.
The new terminal covers an area of 33,000 square meters. With the new terminal, the Punta Cana International Airport has 23 ramps and 50 passenger check-in points. The airport now has two terminals serving traffic mainly from the Americas, another for traffic from Europe, and a fourth for private flights, VIP travel and light aircraft traffic.
While the airport mainly serves tourists headed to the east coast resorts, the excellent road connections also make the airport a practical option for travelers from the capital city Santo Domingo and other Dominican cities to travel to Punta Cana to catch a direct flight to dozens of destinations or comfortably return to the capital city on the same day.
The airport has the largest number of connections in the country, with flights to around 80 countries. In 2013, the airport served 2,597,086 arriving passengers.
Turismo: Punta Cana es una marca internacional - DiarioLibre.com

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Like a recent novelist put it "I stepped out of the airport building in the DR and the heat hit me like an arresting officer."

I was an arresting officer many years at 6'2" and 245 lbs of weight trained muscle, ya I could hit, but I preferred and gentle more humane approach.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
So how do I know if I'm departing from Terminal B?

When you drive up to the airport, you'll see signs listing the airlines and what terminal they leave from. As of 2 weeks ago, only Delta was leaving from the new terminal.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Firstly the Punta Cana airport is NOT the first private international airport opened in the world ...The Casa de Campo airport in La Romana preceded it by more than 10 years when that airport was at Cajuiles and planes came in from the USA and the caribbean .The airport has now a different location and is more like the original Punta Cana airports . There are several privately owned international airports in Australia also servicing the Pacific islands .
However,to the point .Punta Cana airport has been a total disgrace for quite a few years .The immigration and customs services are so slow that many tourists commence their holidays in a fuming bad mood . The walk from the planes would be ok if firstly all the passengers were young and highly active and secondly if the ground crews did not insist in keeping you waiting in the sun ,often for more than 30 minutes ,until there is space inside . Now to the parking which is completely inadequate and the parking attendants who are hopeless ..There is not enough space for cars waiting for arriving passengers or for cars carrying exiting passengers, the taxi service is chaos and it is hard to say a good word about this airport except it has many connections...when will there be an accident??? In contrast las Americas is quite superb except for the price of the parking . so I really do not care a fig about the facade in Punta Cana because everything else is horrible

The last 2 times I've travelled out of PUJ they've had buses shuttling clients to and from the airports so it looks like the days of walking on the tarmac are finally over. Couldn't agree more with the parking lot. It's been horrible for years. A friend of mine that works at Grupo did tell me that there are plans to enlarge it and re-organize it (again) so hopefully it'll improve somewhat. Grupo's corporate office across from the airport is also supposed to move to the Village so that'll free up some much-needed space.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Nals , in relation to the start of the Casa de Campo airport we the La Romana Central ,the owners of the airport,web page and my memory must both be both wrong because many can remember having to stop playing golf to permit the planes from other countries to use the strip which went across several fairways ..way before 1990 not big planes and you may say the airport was a joke but it was convenient and friendly The current la Romana airport and the airport at Punta Cana ,before it out grew itself had great similarities in that you had to wait inside the plane for ages until the ground crew decided to place the stairs to the doors and then you hit the tarmac heat and then you had a rather informal entry into the DR
Pity quantity and quaility cannot often be compatible ,,except , I find ,in las Americas