The Only Marble Mine in the Caribbean

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Recent aerial views of the only marble mine in the Caribbean on the Samana Peninsula. If you ever wonder where does all the marble comes from for government buildings in SD and even other structures built by the Dominican government such as the Eduardo Brito National Theater in SD and the Great Theater of the Cibao in Santiago; now you know. It isn't from Carrara, Italy but marble is marble.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
It is just a short distance from Boca Diablo. The archaeologists are also near there now.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
The grave site is near Fronton?
I am not sure what you mean by the gravesite. If you are referring to the archaeologists, yes, they were working a few sites before Boca Diablo and the mine. I do not think they are there now. You can get there by making the first right past the Texaco gas station onto a dirt road. Once you get to Boca Diablo you can hike to Fronton from there. Take a local guide with you.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
went there years ago, there's a big machine slowly cutting the marble, had similar vibe to a big machine on Tatooine in star wars, the machine slowing working away, a guard sleeping nearby

Reactions: reilleyp

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
went there years ago, there's a big machine slowly cutting the marble, had similar vibe to a big machine on Tatooine in star wars, the machine slowing working away, a guard sleeping nearby
Most of the marble from that mine is processed here in San Cristobal.

Reactions: CristoRey

JimDMcEachern

Oct 16, 2016
I am not sure what you mean by the gravesite. If you are referring to the archaeologists, yes, they were working a few sites before Boca Diablo and the mine. I do not think they are there now. You can get there by making the first right past the Texaco gas station onto a dirt road. Once you get to Boca Diablo you can hike to Fronton from there. Take a local guide with you.
Thanks I have been a few times , I read there was a dig with a very old burial site , I thought it may be there when you referenced archaeologists.

Reactions: reilleyp

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Thanks I have been a few times , I read there was a dig with a very old burial site , I thought it may be there when you referenced archaeologists.
They have been working at several sites from El Frances to Boca Diablo. For many years, they assumed that the settlers in the area came from Puerto Rico. Near El Frances they found remains which were about 2000 years old. More recently the found bones that were 3000 years old, and this discovery is changing all of their previous assumptions. Now they are not so sure where the first settlers came from. I will try to find the videos.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I stand corrected. The most recent finds date them to 5500 years old.

Reactions: AlaPlaya