The Original Dominican-Haitian Border

Before this thread, were you aware the DR was originally 5K km2 bigger?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A large copy of an 1858 map is currently being sold in Amazon and has the original border. Only 5 left at time of posting this.

In the section that zooms in on Santo Domingo city it even marks where several Haitian leaders settled during the month long seige Dessalines made in the invasion of 1805. That was the invasion that Dessalines murdered all Dominicans, burned down all the towns and rural homes, and even killed the livestock and poultry that he found along the way back to Haiti; all an act of revenge for Dominicans rejecting his rule and his inability to conquer the city of SD.

Overall, a very nice map.

http://www.amazon.com/GRANDE-Mapa-SANTO-DOMINGO-circa/dp/B00OGNN4YG/

Last edited:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
[video=youtube;-T7eyTCVPr0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T7eyTCVPr0[/video]

I noticed kids are everywhere dressing school uniform or just carrying a backpack.

This is good, they are getting education at least.

JJ

Aug 6, 2006
I don't see how the ancient Taino chiefdoms have anything to do with the way the island is divvied up now.
It is interesting to anthropologists, of course.
The border as it is today has been mutually agreed upon by both countries. That does not mean that everyone is happy about it.
Still, everyone knows where it is.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I don't see how the ancient Taino chiefdoms have anything to do with the way the island is divvied up now.
It is interesting to anthropologists, of course.
The border as it is today has been mutually agreed upon by both countries. That does not mean that everyone is happy about it.
Still, everyone knows where it is.

If it weren't for the French and the Spanish there would have never been a border.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Borders change all the time. How many adjustments of the US border with Mexico have been made in the last century? Half a dozen at least.
Der Fish

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
[video=youtube;FoZ2DTeUCO8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoZ2DTeUCO8[/video]

so i bumped into this video following links from the above. the narrator is a german-haitian describing his road trip "back home". He starts out stating he doesn't want to tell the typical story of poverty, violence, etc. Of course, inescapably he does. He touches on all the major themes and does a pretty good job on the history of the two nations. Only a handful of sentences differ between his views and mine.

I'll risk boring you with repetition, but I always look to the voice of our young. The older I get the more I appreciate it. In 20 years this kid is going to be the executive director of something, for sure.

So, if you haven't tired of the topic this guy does a good job. filmed pre-earthquake. comments post-quake.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Nals, I hope this isn't considered off topic. It does show a stark video depiction of the border. Hopefully that helps.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Would be willing to bet that the Taino Chiefs knew where their area ended and somebody else's began. No different that areas that were claimed by the Sioux and Comanches, they knew when they were on the other guys patch. You might refer to that as a border.

Excuse me! Would you please put the words back in my mouth. Keeping it 100.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
If it weren't for the French and the Spanish there would have never been a border.

True. But if it weren't for caribes and arawkas in competition there wouldn't have been a quisqueya or a haiti. The "if it weren't for..." are ad infinitum. (gorgon, did I use this latin term correctly?)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Borders change all the time. How many adjustments of the US border with Mexico have been made in the last century? Half a dozen at least.
Der Fish
True.

After all, Mexico did lose more than half of its original territory. No wonder Americans think border changes is a non-issue.

The million dollar question is, how much land has the USA lost due to border changes?

I hear the crickets already...

As? es bueno...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If it weren't for the French there would had never been a border.

Lets not forget that for the first time in millenias and for more than 200 years the whole island was under the Spanish flag. Then the French arrived y comenzaron los benditos l?os.

The French, Greydead, its really all about the French.

Ever heard a Dominican say 'reb?'? Want to guess the origin of that Dominicanism?

Here is a hint: the French called the Guayubin River Rebouc... and the Spanish insisted that the border was further to the west. In the end the official border was agreed on the Dajabon River and the city of Puerto Real de Bayaj? was handed to the French (they called it Fort Dauphin, Haitians call it Fort Liberte). But before that took place, there were many battles between the two as the French continued to expand eastward. The Rebouc was the scene of very violent altercations in more than one occasion.

Rebouc... reb?... Guayub?n...