The Real Challenge for DR1 Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As you well know....
I and others resort to 'offline' answer seeking....

Much of my advice is given offline... when people ask me directly for help.

The public forum is not very welcoming... as I see it.

i agree with you, WW. however, at least the site has a population which allows you to find the guy with whom you can confer offline..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Precisely -

here we are trying to talk about the general forum's problems and Mike comes back with the OT and he won't go away.

Mike - it's about the rest of the forum , not the OT so much.
Does the OT influence the values and direction of the others - Yes

But can both be preserved - if so , How?

If the answer is No - what then ?

there are people who read OT, but never take the time to post there. they still formulate their opinions of posters from what they read on OT. that is the precise reason why i have been posting perfectly anodyne remarks in a normal thread, only to be hit by a blindside insult from some guy who has it in for me. there is a lot of that going on here.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
there are people who read OT, but never take the time to post there. they still formulate their opinions of posters from what they read on OT. that is the precise reason why i have been posting perfectly anodyne remarks in a normal thread, only to be hit by a blindside insult from some guy who has it in for me. there is a lot of that going on here.

anodyne

"one side wants to ventilate social realities, the other wants to shut them up. well, no discussion of life, politics, economics, social interaction, criminal justice realities and reform, immigration, foreign policy, the arts, commerce, education, history, and myriad other subjects can have any worthwhile outcomes if certain people here get their wish and shut the other guys up. as people here must have realized by now, i am not going to wither up and go away because a bunch of guys want me to. Robert and my death are your only salvation from me. oh..i forgot...the ignore button."

Lol

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
anodyne

"one side wants to ventilate social realities, the other wants to shut them up. well, no discussion of life, politics, economics, social interaction, criminal justice realities and reform, immigration, foreign policy, the arts, commerce, education, history, and myriad other subjects can have any worthwhile outcomes if certain people here get their wish and shut the other guys up. as people here must have realized by now, i am not going to wither up and go away because a bunch of guys want me to. Robert and my death are your only salvation from me. oh..i forgot...the ignore button."

Lol
Exhibit two

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I have noticed that many threads are closed or shut down very quickly, and there did not appear to be any off topic discussion or anger or any reason to shut down the thread. Maybe the off topic comments were deleted and then it was closed? Either way, I have never seen a forum where discussion was discouraged. Very strange.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have noticed that many threads are closed or shut down very quickly, and there did not appear to be any off topic discussion or anger or any reason to shut down the thread. Maybe the off topic comments were deleted and then it was closed? Either way, I have never seen a forum where discussion was discouraged. Very strange.

The mod closing a thread usually states the reason before closing. Sometimes spammers will post in an old thread, the spam is deleted and the thread closed. Many other reasons.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
There is less activity on this site because there are more options with social media to get information.

The folks with thousands of posts are in the minority, there are many more who have created a user name to get an answer to a question and never logged back in either because they never got an answer or the wait was too long.
ONE EXAMPLE.
Yesterday I needed a good tailor/seamstress in the Sosua area , my easiest option was to post on facebook for recommendations. I got 7 options withing 1 hour.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
There is less activity on this site because there are more options with social media to get information.

The folks with thousands of posts are in the minority, there are many more who have created a user name to get an answer to a question and never logged back in either because they never got an answer or the wait was too long.
ONE EXAMPLE.
Yesterday I needed a good tailor/seamstress in the Sosua area , my easiest option was to post on facebook for recommendations. I got 7 options withing 1 hour.

Hits nail on head!!!!!

On that note, case closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.