The Travel Warning from State Department

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
US denies DR travel warning
Reports that the United States State Department had issued a warning to US nationals traveling to the Dominican Republic were false, say the papers. State Department officials are said to have reacted with surprise when asked by their Dominican counterparts to explain the warning. The US officials assured that no such warning exists and that the only countries in the region that are deemed to be high-risk for US travelers are Colombia and Venezuela. The reports came in relation to the Pan American Games, which caused great concern on the part of the organizers, who asked the government to clarify the situation with Washington.
---------------------------------------------------------
hmm, well, from the state department website:

http://travel.state.gov/dominican_republic.html

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The bureaucrats in Washington have to have something to write about to justify their positions. The State Dept travel website posts the standard measure for the D.R. it has not changed, nothing unusual. Regards, PJT

Apr 26, 2002
If you read the State Department postings for places as dangerous as France and Uruguay, you'll see a lot of the same crap. They tend to write these pieces like lawyers writing a "cover-all" disclaimer.

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
here we come

Don't care what they say, i'm coming CA2DR, with a smile. I'm going to have a great time. Never have regrets about things you coulda, woulda or mighta done, that's my motto. [I like the one on Zanaduranch too.] Thanks -k

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Travel Warnings.

A couple of years back there were warnings from Dept of State and the media urging not to travel to Mexico because it was dangerous, drug traffic and tourist murders. When was the last time the U.S. Govt. issued a warning not to travel to Florida? I took the opportunity to travel around Mexico via public bus for a month. It was one of my best and trouble free trips ever. Be cautious wherever you go. One needs to read between the lines of travel warnings, because sometimes they are politically or economically motivated. Regards, PJT

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
PJT

I agree with you. It can be dangerous anywhere.
Like you I've traveled in Mexico using their bus system. Very modern and clean, never had a problem.
I traveled through Mexico city, Queretaro and San Miguel de Allende.
Beautiful cities with impressive art & architecture.

Take care

Carabella