Things are NOT all that good as "some" say

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.... and "HOW MANY" small business owners and employees will be eliminated by this action?

There are "TWO SIDES" to the coin, but in your mind, everything comes up "HEADS" and "ROSIE".

Looks at all the new jobs, screw the ones that lost theirs !!!
555624_491371170889555_449239673_n.jpg

How many small stores will go under if they don't get a liquor license?
But that's okay, more tax money coming in to the government.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Senor "PEE",here's a tip for you if you want to start sounding credable here on DR1.
Just,"Once In A While" forget your personal agenda here,and say,"Wow,I never realized that there was a problem in the DR regarding agro business being unable to get government financing for next years seed crop".
Then you won't always,and Soooooooooooooooooooo predictably sound like a "One Trick pony"
What am I THINKING!
It must really be a chore for you way up in ORLANDO,continuosly "Googling" information,false information,and fotos,many computer generated of what "Might Be".
Oh!, would you please post some pictures of the useless METRO Line #2's unfinished track and stations??
(#2,how appropiate!)
I know your PLD associates have them,but will they release them,even to you,the PLD's spokes person,read,"SpinDoctor".
Please tell all the Metro's contractors who are owed millions,for completed work one line 1, AND 2,
"Your Check Is In The Mail"
You KNOW what great service we get from the Dominican Postal Service,if there even is a Dominican Postal Service.
Lived in my house in Arroyo Hondo for 15 years,have yet to see a "PostHombre"?????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yes things are bad here but the most of the rest of the world is an economic slump.

Tourism is not a good business to be in. However, other businesses that offer basic services are still profitable if the owner is smart (not necessarily restaurants). For example, a friend of mine owns a small supermarket. He has been very careful to reinvest in his business and has built a new store and is almost ready to do the second floor. Instead of having the latest SUV with frequent vacations to the US he has a small pickup. With regard to Santiago, there is a bit of a housing boom around town and people are buying homes and apartments. For example, since I moved into our small neighborhood they have built three apartment complexes around with a total of 200+ units and there are hardly any vacancies. Also, in my neighborhood around 20 homes have been built. Bottom line is the tourism industry and anything associated with it bad now. As far as small business owners having it tough they need to be smart and watch that bottom line.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Senor "PEE",here's a tip for you if you want to start sounding credable here on DR1.
Just,"Once In A While" forget your personal agenda here,and say,"Wow,I never realized that there was a problem in the DR regarding agro business being unable to get government financing for next years seed crop".
Then you won't always,and Soooooooooooooooooooo predictably sound like a "One Trick pony"
What am I THINKING!
It must really be a chore for you way up in ORLANDO,continuosly "Googling" information,false information,and fotos,many computer generated of what "Might Be".
Oh!, would you please post some pictures of the useless METRO Line #2's unfinished track and stations??
(#2,how appropiate!)
I know your PLD associates have them,but will they release them,even to you,the PLD's spokes person,read,"SpinDoctor".
Please tell all the Metro's contractors who are owed millions,for completed work one line 1, AND 2,
You KNOW what great service we get from the Dominican Postal Service,if there even is a Dominican Postal Service.
Lived in my house in Arroyo Hondo for 15 years,have yet to see a "PostHombre"?????????

That's your take on it, not mine and those that KNOW the DR!

As far as living? Do you really want to go there?

Pfff!

Line 1 contractors ALL got paid 100%. Line 2 is a work in progress and contractors KNEW that the payments had to wait until each got approve and the money signed/loaned/extended from the sources. The unfinished Line 2 is like that for a reason: It's a work in progress! Or did you expect the Line 2 to be done in half the time of the Line 1, when it's bigger and reaches more places, requires more engineering and etc...?

Agro Biz want gov backed loans, that they can take years to pay for which the majority always extends the repayments terms and the gov has to pick the slack there. The gov made it clear it would make the BA extend loans to the sector under privileged terms, but they balked since it meant they MUST make the payments on time unlike with the gov financing as they wanted!

Post here on FALSE information I posted so far??????

The postal service in the DR is the same it was before I was born and has changed for the better in many terms. The problem is people like you and others here than come to live here in the DR and WANT to have their cake and eat it like back home. This is the DR not the USA buddy! Learn to live with it!

Arroyo Hondo was not even a residential area when I was born! So what's your point?

Jan 3, 2003

LOL, Post-hombres sure do not exist in the DR. I think only when Trujillo was there a viable post office system. With the breakdown of that regime, basic gov't serivces collapsed and have never returned to the level of efficiency that they once had under Trujillo. If Dominicans in general have such a hatred of Trujillo, the best way to prove he was such a failure would be to provide the same governmental services that existed during his regime and outdo him.

On the contrary though water, electricity, sewage, postal services, forestry, banking, the military, the public health trust system have broken down so much that what remains are the same services you'd get in a Mad Max world. The only betterment that can be spoken of is that more regions of the country are electrified but that is due to time. Another advantage is that there are freedoms never permitted under Trujillo but if you are free and hungry, then it's not really a type of freedom anyone would want.

Crime is off the radar screen. People get killed for the most trivial reasons just like Overtown in Miami which is a recurrent setting in the TV reality police show "The First 48" which details homicide detectives solving crimes in 48 hours. How can you expect DR society to be safe when cops earn less than 150 dollars a month? What human on Earth can live with that pitiful amount if the prices you pay are all priced in dollars? You can't feel safe when those who are paid to protect you can't afford to live a normal life. What can a human being do with 150 bucks a month? I wish Pichardo would answer that question.

Another example are the workers who actually built the METRO. How much where they paid? I've been told Haitians built the METRO. You think they're being paid union wages. Poor Haitians work for salaries which no Dominican would. I was talking to "un albanil" the other day, Dominican of course, who told me he will not work for those low wages. So what is he doing? Nothing, just living a subsistence life but not much worse off if he were working full time.

He worked at many resorts in the East the ones that Pick and Nals love to show us and you know what. He was overworked, underpaid, slept in some dingy cramped overcrowded work quarters in a busted bed and sometimes slept on the ground. This is reminiscent of working conditions in the US in the 19th century to the early 20th century before labor rights and all. When Dominican workers earn so little, are worked so hard then its no wonder that Rubio's contacts are all going bust one business at a time.

This is where Pick and Nals go silent. They never tell us how the poor live. They don't tell us or give us a timetable for when will basic governmental services resume on the level that existed during Trujillo. Why can't they provide clean running water? If they can build a METRO, it should be much easier to provide clean running water. I'd love to be shut up on this one. WHY, WHY, WHY??? No answer, only crickets.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Away from all the personal insults that don't contribute much to the debate, I assume that the OP's patch covers All Inclusive Land, where the tourists (and their money) are kept away from local businesses. The world recession is having a drastic effect on tourists from Europe and (increasingly) North America apart from the richest, who probably don't come to the DR anyway. The government should work harder than ever for the few tourists out there and to bring them to places like the north coast which they are neglecting to benefit their friends in places like Punta Cana. This would bring far greater benefits to local economies.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I just wanted to say that I have door delivery from the post office. All books and cds from Amazon, all financial papers.. right to my door, within 10 days to 2 weeks of shipping

that would be Gazcue

which is The City

arroyo hondo is the outback and it is just assumed that none of you rich folks out there even need postal service since you will always use DHL or something for your goodies

but here in Gazcue

we HAVE postal service

and usually 24 electric... eight years with no inverter here

but that is not the issue

there are pockets of wealth

but the country is not advancing to the middle class

as per the spin

at least we are not seeing it

maybe the upper upper piantini naco lamberghini benz acropoliz cartier group

but not the middle class

as in even getting a meter on their homes

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Can't Make This Stuff Up!!!!.....unless,......................

You are "PEE" and Chump that is!
Lucky Chump,he only knows successful Dominicans,no matter what,or where they are.
And "PEE" that story about the agri-business was just a hypothetical that I came up with to prove my point.
Chump,thanks for telling us that there is a world wide economic,slow down,recession,depression,depending where you live,and your point of reference.
So, I guess we should be happy that because the whole World is having economic troubles,we should not feel so bad???
Illogical!
But,Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo typical of you!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I want to hear from you when ANY of those same people EVER said their biz was good and making good profits?That my friend will never happen in the DR!

That's why 99.99% of expats will never understand the DR even if they lived here for the next 100 years! You have to be born and raised into it to understand how it ticks!

Even Dominicans born in the foreign lands that come to live and work/invest here are smacked in confusion as you are on all this!

But, to paint it more clearly. Do you really think that Grupo Ramos, CCN and others make their money from drugs or money laundering? Do you really think that they MUST be jam packed to the rim in order to make money in those jumbo sized biz here? Again, if you can't tell what is what, you're counted in the ones that I described about...

It's been like that ever since Colon times. We're mostly descendants of the Spanish Gypsies culture that got the upper hand in trade within the colony. To this day, there's not one of these surviving people of the culture that will answer any different when asked how biz is going. Here on the DR or in Spain!

You guys live in a different world as the rest of us Dominicans, for you can never be able to see behind the veils of the talk in the surface...

Yep, they were just BS-ing you, they are actually doing quite well...Just went to the little resto on outside corner of Bella Vista mall, it was the mediterrean type place, i kinda enjoy their unique menu... **** its closed and empted out!!! another one bites the dust, maybe they were really doing well also! Its clear and a waste of time to debate all of is as the select few will never agree with the obvious reality of whats happening here, why? because they have an agenda...Its not in their best interest, its just business, nuff said!!!Time to take the high road!!!

Feb 7, 2007
Dumb and dumber...

All over the place. And what happens a lot too: Guy opens Fruit Stand (or other biz), makes some Pesos. His neighbor sees that, thinks "Wow, must be a good biz" and opens up one more right next to it. A month later you have 5 of them there and everybody complains "No hay dinero en la calle..."

What you have just described is a classic economic model of perfect competition. When there is economic opportunity of returns larger than return necessary for replacement of capital goods, competition will enter until there is economic equilibrium that will provide for (possible) infinite supply of goods and there is no incentive to either enter or leave the industry. No participant can influence prices. The market participants will all go from more-than-normal profits to normal profits, or in other words only return equal to capital goods replacement cost. This is not dumb and dumber, this is economics 101.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm representing a European firm that sells a commodity product, doing this since 2 years and have heard since I started that things are bad or worse, but my business has been going up only. The first half year of 2012 have been very good, but my customers all say that business is slow, there is a big hidden crisis, etc.

I'm kind of confused, who would be right, Rubio_Higuey, Criss Colon or Pichardo. Until now what I have experienced tells me Pichardo is right.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I've heard of "lies, damn lies and statistics" but this is ridiculous! According to this, the UK and Japan are more lazy or "inactive" than the DR! I think we can discount that survey.

I could imagine that if retired counts as inactive that countries like UK and Japan have a high portion of inactives. Doesn't mean lazy though.

Feb 7, 2007
I'm representing a European firm that sells a commodity product, doing this since 2 years and have heard since I started that things are bad or worse, but my business has been going up only. The first half year of 2012 have been very good, but my customers all say that business is slow, there is a big hidden crisis, etc.

I'm kind of confused, who would be right, Rubio_Higuey, Criss Colon or Pichardo. Until now what I have experienced tells me Pichardo is right.

If you are selling commodity - look up the definition of commodity - products that are practically not differentiated one from another by any other means than price * - so if your commodity is cheapest one, well, obviously you will have growing business.

* A commodity has full or partial fungibility; that is, the market treats it as equivalent or nearly so no matter who produces it. "From the taste of wheat it is not possible to tell who produced it, a Russian serf, a French peasant or an English capitalist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodity

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I told my Dominican wife of 17 years today,as she drove me to the "Supermercado", that after all these years,I am "Dominicanisado 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was going to the cash machine to borrow money to buy groceries.When my $$$$$ come from OBAMA on August 1st. I will use those $$$$$$$$$$$ to pay off my bills for July,and then charge everything in August to pay off in Sept.!Well,not totally "Dominicanisado",I actually PAY my bills!
But close enough.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Happy 17th Birthday to your wife. :cheeky:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sure nice malls, high rises etc...but how does all this investment help the "little person" who does not live in the Capital or larger city. You know the ones that are just trying to get by..The cost of food, fuel, etc is getting out of reach for most of them. You know the ones who try to earn a living the honest way and work hard 11-12 hrs a day just to try and put their children through school, what about them? How are these new malls, high rises, etc going to help them?

Status
Not open for further replies.