Things to do in Punta Cana

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Thanks guys, so besides eating what else can you tell me is worth the trip?

True solitude. Select half a dozen special friends, prepare a picnic lunch, hop on a boat and have the day to yourselves. No time table, just joyful interaction.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Juan Ponce de Leon's house is outside the town, in case anyone is into history/historical places. Don't expect a palace, but it's one of the oldest two floor houses on this side of the Atlantic. The entrance appears on the left before entering the town.

For those with short or faulty memory, he was the conqueror of Puerto Rico and died in Florida searching for the fountain of youth. Ironically, any given expat has a much greater chance of being in the vecinity of some of his descedants in Santiago, even though historically he is tied to the eastern DR and Hig?ey.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That is legitimate descendants. There probably are hundreds of thousands of Dominicans all over the DR and abroad that belong to illegitimate lineages tied to Juan Ponce de Leon. Some expats may even be dating/married to one and no one would even know it.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Can you tell me more about Boca de Yuma? I heard a few people heading that way this past winter but they mostly talked about this great fish place where they had lunch. :)

Have been going to Boca 'e Yuma (Or as we say it, Boqueyuma) since childhood.

We locals wanted to keep Boca 'e Yuma weird, but just like Austin, TX, we failed. Now, to' el mundazo viene a come' pecao... hasta el diablo y su hermano.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Top of my list would be go and stay at the North Coast.

(Or anywhere else in DR for that matter. Ah! You guessed.I'm not a fan of PC)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Have been going to Boca 'e Yuma (Or as we say it, Boqueyuma) since childhood.

We locals wanted to keep Boca 'e Yuma weird, but just like Austin, TX, we failed. Now, to' el mundazo viene a come' pecao... hasta el diablo y su hermano.

I haven't been there yet. I looked it up on the map this past winter and hope to get there on my next trip.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
It is like anything else.
Too many people over run the place and the place will give way.
It is to break the heart.
You can never go home again...they say.
At the end of the day it all comes down to money.

[video=youtube;I8P80A8vy9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=I8P80A8vy9I[/video]

geez..
I didn't quote.
This responds to MikeFisher and his "What lagoon?" post.
I relate to what he is saying 100%.
The problem over there on the east coast is that there never was a caretaker.
Nobody cared enough to take care of the environment.
The ONLY thing that draws tourists to the east coast of the D.R. is the beach and they couldn't even take care of that.

Last edited:

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Oops...
Sorry guys.
I let my negativity get the best of me.
Don't pay me any notice.
I smoked a j and it went straight to my head.
lol. :cool:
But it IS a great video.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Oops...
Sorry guys.
I let my negativity get the best of me.
Don't pay me any notice.
I smoked a j and it went straight to my head.
lol. :cool:
But it IS a great video.

There is nothing more real than someone speaking from the heart. Your comments were genuine and had a message. Disappointment in a cherished, neglected environment is not negativity, but rather, a glimmer of hope to all of us that someone sincerely cares.