This Friday Huelga in Cabarete !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Two JCBs have started work in Cabarete. One at the entrance coming from Sosua and one east of Janets supermarket, they are digging up the existing tarmac side. They have also stopped cars parking along the muddy side of the road

A

apostropheman

HeyLB,

I'm no longer concerned about any trouble you get yourself into for your libelous attack on the governor, but I sure don't want to get dragged into the middle of it. :paranoid:
Thanks for your concerns I spoke to the office this morning who assure me that no-one has contacted anyone!! They also have agreed to arrange a meeting for me to find out why the food trucks are not being distributed. So hopefully more good will come of this apart from the mess in the road. However that will mean more mess and huge traffic delays for a while yet.

Aug 21, 2007
Cabarete is a mess. Yes, the traffic is moving......if that is what you call it. It took us about 40 minutes to make it from one side to the other. Traffic moved in just one direction at a time, but often was clogged with stopped vehicles or vehicles trying to make two lanes where barely one exists. After our experience, we vowed to stay in Sosua for the time being.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I changed my plans to be in Sosua today and have to pass through Cabarete early this morning but still went there at lunchtime for another appointment. Well, working on the premise that "things usually get worse before they get better" I fully concur with Lindsey's comment that Cabarete is a complete mess. After a heavy shower of rain the mud was prevalent and the poor tourists were in need of wellies rather than flip-flops. The number of vehicles who decide to 'jump the queue' rather than wait in line only contribute to further congestion and, lo and behold, on my return this afternoon, an enormous lorry had broken down alongside the line of parked cars - it was total mayhem..... let's just hope that "better" now comes quickly.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I changed my plans to be in Sosua today and have to pass through Cabarete early this morning but still went there at lunchtime for another appointment. Well, working on the premise that "things usually get worse before they get better" I fully concur with Lindsey's comment that Cabarete is a complete mess. After a heavy shower of rain the mud was prevalent and the poor tourists were in need of wellies rather than flip-flops. The number of vehicles who decide to 'jump the queue' rather than wait in line only contribute to further congestion and, lo and behold, on my return this afternoon, an enormous lorry had broken down alongside the line of parked cars - it was total mayhem..... let's just hope that "better" now comes quickly.
I don't see how all these renovations are even going to gain us much.
Traffic can only flow as fast as the worst/smallest bottleneck will allow, and it sure doesn't appear to be much wider, if at all, in many places.
Short of wiping out a row of buildings on one side or the other, I can't see how it will ever improve traffic flow.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I don't see how all these renovations are even going to gain us much.
Traffic can only flow as fast as the worst/smallest bottleneck will allow, and it sure doesn't appear to be much wider, if at all, in many places.
Short of wiping out a row of buildings on one side or the other, I can't see how it will ever improve traffic flow.

Agreed but it was better before all this started - at least it was passable with a good surface, albeit narrow. Perhaps someone should go to Plan B and therefore divert some of the heavy traffic flow out of Cabarete completely.... just a thought!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I think by better she meant it will be paved soon.

The road was newly paved last year & traffic flowed 'reasonably' until they started digging it up for the sewer system. Except for holiday weekend travel or weekend nights, the traffic is not too bad when the road is good. Probably better at most times than trying to drive through Sosua at night. It would be nice to have a bypass eventually to cut down on congestion for those who don't actually need to stop in town.

I have two hopes,

1) that the pressure exerted to finish the construction does not lead to paving the road too soon. I see the governor saying "PAVE IT NOW" and everyone saying "SI, SENOR!!" while thinking but not saying 'but we'll have to dig it up again next week because we're not quite finished'.

2) that they don't in their wisdom turn it into a one way street

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
2) that they don't in their wisdom turn it into a one way street
icim3r.gif

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I think by better she meant it will be paved soon.

That they don't in their wisdom turn it into a one way street

if the "she" referred to me I meant the surface of the road - not concerned too much about pavements to be honest...

One way which way?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It is killing tourism for sure. But and it is a big BUTT rumor has it that Leonel will be in Sosua/Cabarete either March 7 or 12. If that is true it will be finished by then. Maybe that is also why the little park they have been working on in Sosua (across from Baileys) is getting finished. They only started that one 6 or 7 months ago.
We can always hope the light we see at the end of the tunnel is not a train.

Bob K

windfinder

May 28, 2007
1) that the pressure exerted to finish the construction does not lead to paving the road too soon. I see the governor saying "PAVE IT NOW" and everyone saying "SI, SENOR!!" while thinking but not saying 'but we'll have to dig it up again next week because we're not quite finished'.

That's exactly what will happen!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.