Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: oh and yes .........

lurker said:
i have visited.
found nothing of economic value.
lots of interesting stuff but nothing that can make any $$$$$.

thats what we're talking about, right .......making money?
Glad to finally see this post. It confirms your lack of knowledge about R.E. anywhere in the world because you can always make money in R.E. in any economic situation if you know what you are doing which of course I have felt you haven't had the first clue about.

Yes, that means that money can be made in a down market.

I appreciate you coming out of the closet finally. Now you can "GO TO YOUR ROOM" and don't come out till I say you can. Dismissed!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is a lesson

A long time ago, we bought a property at RD$36000, or what was the same in dollars.

A year or so ago it was appraised by a bank at RD$12,000,000. Yes, over 30 years had passed. With the dollar at about 17 to one that translated into a little over $700K US$. With His Baldiness in power the peso has shrunk 67% and now is around 33 to one. If the property still has the same value of RD$12MM, it is now wortha little over 360K US$ or ten times what we paid for it. And that supposes that there has been no accrued value over the past year or so.

Real Estate is not for the short term, unless your last name is Trump. No matter what you invest in, if you have a fair eye for location, you have to come oput on top down the road.

HB

I'd hate to tell you what the beach property that we bought for RD$6000 is worth today...

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Re: Here is a lesson

Hillbilly said:

I'd hate to tell you what the beach property that we bought for RD$6000 is worth today... -HB

Have you had problems with squatters trying to steal your beach front property? How did you prote ct yourself from squatters, did you take any precautions?

-Lee

sanchegp

Nov 18, 2002
I am not a real estate guru but I do know that real estate in the DR represents one of the best investment opportunities at the moment. There are various factors that make the current situation in the DR an attractive real estate paradise, not the least of which is the economic situation....let me explain. First off, during economic turmoil, as the DR is currently experiencing, prices in general do not change at the same pace of devaluation or currency depreciation. In other words, although inflation has increased by 67% over the last year or so, general price changes do not reflect this reality. The fact of the matter is that there is a lag (time latency) from the time that a drastic devaluation takes place and the time when all prices level-off to reflect the new pricing reality. This time lag represents a great opportunity for real estate investors. For instance, over a year ago I became interested in buying a condo in Santiago for Ps 900,000 or US$52k which I was planning to finance via a 401k loan. Although the condo looked attractive, I still thought that I could get it for less $$. Over the next 12 months I continued to monitor the price of the apartment, particularly in light of the decaying exchange rate...so at 17/1 it was worth $52k....at 21/1 it was worth $42....at 35/1 it was worth $25k....during this time, I continued to call my broker to make sure that the condo was still being listed at the Peso price...and he confirmed that it was. Immediately when I saw that the exchange rate went to Ps 35 per US$1, I jumped in and bought a property that was worth US$52k a year ago for US$25k....which made me very happy.

This is obviously one case of many...and I may have been very lucky as well but the concept of latency does exist and real estate opportunities do exist. Now, the reality is that the DR economic deterioration also has something to do with the continued price depreciation of the condo (in US$) over that same period. However, I still think that real estate prices should not be penalized with the full blunt of the economic downturn. For one thing, real estate rentals which should be part of the complete real estate valuation equation tend to do well in a high interest environment....a phenomenon that currently exists in the DR. Presumably, in a high interest environment, buying a piece of property and paying for a mortgage becomes more difficult thus forcing people to rent more and buy less. The reverse is also the case....in a low interest environment, as is the case in the US, more people buy and less people rent (inverse relationship). This being said, the DR represents the perfect real estate environment for real estate investors, specially if one is able to finance that purchase by borrowing in the US instead of the local market.

Another thing to keep in mind about the DR is that close to 20% (or more) of the Dominican population lives outside of the country...mostly in the US. This portion of the population has an enormous economic power (relative to the locals) and play a very important role in the economic development of the country. I do not have the stats but it feels that every Dominican has a brother, cousin or someone that has migrated to the States and that can always provide a helping hand in times of crisis...which I think this one of those situations. Although economist do not focus on this type of transcendental economic assistance, I believe it will be a critical component of the Dominican turnaround. From this US influence/dependency perspective, no other Latin American country benefits from that association more than the DR....and this is only the start of it. If we believe that the US economy will some day come back....then, by default, one should invest in the DR...specially in real estate.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Very interesting post.

. And a very good move.

As for that beach place, no, no problems. A fence, a watchman and constant usage keep them away.

HB

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
Bravo for sanchegp this post is one of the most valuable I?ve seen in this forum. I totally agree with you.
About the security part hillbilly is completly right , the invaders just get inside a property that they don?t see movements around.
For example I?m selling a 2,200 m2 property in BC in Las Americas avenue , it has been there for years without any kind of use, and we haven?t any kind of problems with it (or my neighbor who is a mayor baseball league player, and never is around either) . Now I?m building a fence around it because I?m selling and the people like to see security but for nothing else..
So gurfrip I guess now is a good time to invest and don?t be afraid this country is always like this..

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Re: oh and yes .........

Originally posted by lurker i have visited.
found nothing of economic value. lots of interesting stuff but nothing that can make any $$$$$.

thats what we're talking about, right .......making money?
I appreciate what you are saying. I have been in the Real Estate business for about 26 years and have made literally millions of dollars. I have started selling properties in the States, holding mortgages for income and have retired in my early 50's. I also swore NOT to buy real estate in the DR because I make 16+% on US Dollars in the DR and real estate hasn't kept up with those returns in the last 10 years. I feel that is going to change just as the up and down cycle changes everywhere.

I disagree with what you are saying and feel that you have every right to say whatever you feel. I just disagree based on knowledge and experience.

Since you probably don't have as much experience in Real Estate as I do, haven't been as successful as me regarding making money in real estate nor are you as knowledge qualified regarding the Dominican Republic and similar countries as I am I will have to say I don't really care what you think.

If you can tell me your qualifications and you can give some reason for me to believe what you say it may change my mind about my take on this I will be happy to do just that.

On another note, I wish you guys would stop insulting pigs. They happen to be very intelligent animals that are way more intelligent than dogs and some posters.

Escott

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Re: oh and yes .........

Escott said:
On another note, I wish you guys would stop insulting pigs. They happen to be very intelligent animals that are way more intelligent than dogs and some posters.
That's true Scott. But they still can't sing very well know matter how much they might try. But being a 'capitalist pig'. Well! There is I believe some promise there!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Peter & Alex said:
Tell it like it is Escott - you de Maaaannnnn!!!!! Look forward to meeting and having a few jars, we like people who are up front!!
Truth and reasoning seem to be just bullshit abstractions to this fellow. Makes silly comments without even bothering to tell how these thoughts even came into his head.

Hey, jars are on Tom so off we go:)

What time are we all supposed to get there tomorrow?

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Re: Re: Re: oh and yes .........

XanaduRanch said:
That's true Scott. But they still can't sing very well know matter how much they might try. But being a 'capitalist pig'. Well! There is I believe some promise there!
They probably cant even squeal as good as some of the posters here either! LOL Man I crack myself up sometimes.

Escott