Time line for sponsering husband to Canada

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
You have to wait a few months for an appointment. When you log on it will tell you if there are any available appointments. You might try like 20 times before it actually says there is so when you log on one day and see that there are available appointments, book one right away because it will be gone by the end of that day. The appointments that come available are usually about 2 - 3 months in advance (at least when we did it).

There is no where to ask for a multi-entry visa on the forms - that is left strictly to the discretion of the interviewing officer. However, we left the arrival date blank because we had no set plans and in the reason why we just put we wanted to visit family in the U.S. and do some sightseeing in the future. They decide how long to issue a visa for based on risk I guess. For a Canadian permanent resident, there is no reason they should not issue a 10 year visa (if they feel there is no risk I guess)? Make sure your husband is working before you apply or at least going to school full-time. I think that helps.

P.S. Check on the internet first thing in the morning - that is usually when they post new available appointments and don't give up because it's frustrating when it keeps saying nothing is available.

Last edited:

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
no problem getting US visa for Cdn PR

My husband and step-son applied 4 months after arriving in Canada, had no problems and received 10 year visas. The 3 of us went to the interview.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
When we did it, it was all by internet, over the phone, then mail. no interview Yris and Jose received 10 visas, that was in 2000 . My mother in law went to the American Embassy 2 weeks after she received her visa to come to Canada, while still in the DR and got a 10 visa. That was in 2005.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Am I missing something??

I am a Permanent Resident of Canada and whenever I am travelling to the US I just get a Visa immediately at the airport. I have never needed to apply for one in advance and have never had a problem. It takes 2 minutes to fill out and is handed to me when I check-in.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Am I missing something??

I am a Permanent Resident of Canada and whenever I am travelling to the US I just get a Visa immediately at the airport. I have never needed to apply for one in advance and have never had a problem. It takes 2 minutes to fill out and is handed to me when I check-in.

What's your birth country?

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Thanks Anna for clearing that up for me. I really hadn't thought about it like that before. I just thought that once someone was a PR of Canada they could travel anywhere Canadians could.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
De nada

Thanks Anna for clearing that up for me. I really hadn't thought about it like that before. I just thought that once someone was a PR of Canada they could travel anywhere Canadians could.

Only when one becomes a Canadian Citizen can one travel anywhere Canadians can. ;)

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I guess with being a British citizen I haven't had to worry about this before. It's amazing what one will take for granted. Being able to travel to just about any country is definitely a luxury I personally hadn't fully appreciated.