Time to change haiti's culture

May 29, 2006
I strongly agree on the creole pigs & Miami rice issues. It is a historical fact, although not very well known... That said, I would say the links you posted are from a quite leftist website.
As of voodoo, my feelings after more than 12 years of continually visiting Haiti, is that it is a burden to society. It has a negative impact on mentality.

I didn't exactly vet the websites for being left or right. They just happened to pop up when I googled "Reagan" and "Haiti". I would have preferred something written by The Economist, but it was there for the picking. Come to think of it, I need to see what their take is on the situation...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Since this thread is about changing Haiti's culture, I think the following fits well here.

Video - Haitian Consul General blames voodoo and "cursed" Africans for earthquake

Given Haiti's history of its upper class rejecting voodoo and Krey?l for being too African and 'backward', it was in the 1980s that Haiti recognized Krey?l as an official language and ended its disapproval of voodoo; one does need to wonder if this mentality is still prevalent among Haiti's upper class. Consul Generals, for the most part, hail from the upper levels of the society they represent, and in many cases, express certain beliefs that are entrenched within the social class they come from.

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
No, Mister! You Cannot Share My Pain!

Copyrighted. Removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009
Ok, I truly think we need to stop accusing Voodoo for Haiti's economic down-spiral. Voodoo is just another pagan religion. "We" need to take an course in theology?

May 29, 2006
Yeah I just caught the end of it. It looks like they will start to get control of things, but 2-3 million people to feed is a tall order. I'm thinking they are looking at feeding a city about the size of Chicago.

You can download 60 minutes audio only free on iTunes.

It seems to me they need to drop battery or crank radios so people can find out what is going on and where to go. There are hundreds of refugee spots that they need to consolidate if they are going to distribute the food. A big soccer field was one of the distribution points that worked.

Mar 1, 2009
Bill Clinton as defacto ruler of Haiti, Wyclef as prime minister, Preval as the Haitian face of things. This earthquake is an opportunity a true chance to get some sh*te done. Build it back from the ground up. Massive infusion of condoms and birth control and UN stewardship for the next 20 years under the Clinton dynasty (Chelsea could be the next one to run the show after Mom and Dad retire). That is what Haiti needs. Tough love everybody knows but doesn't want to admit it. Where's Pichardo to provide analysis?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
The problem with forcibly changing things in Haiti is that sooner or later the people will rebel against it and force change backwards.

Any change has to be done with the people on side.

Sep 20, 2003
Inconclusive, not all Haitians feel this way. I'd like to see a poll on these issues but the questions would have to be formulated in a way as to not introduce bias.

I agree with O&C. I don't believe that the average Haitian hates Dominicans. To be honest, I've never me a Haitian that told me anything like that.

This reminds me of something that happened when I was in PAP a few years ago. I was talking with a Haitian friend that was a journalist. She mentioned that she had visited the Dominican Republic to attend a conference. I asked her if she liked visiting the DR. She started to slowly shake har head, and while smiling said:"No, but I guess it is because I'm jealous." She went on to explain that when Haitians visit the Dominican Republic and see the beautiful forested landscapes and the (relatively) modern citites, it makes them want to cry, because they wish their country was like that. She has never had anything negative to say about Dominicans at all.

I wonder how many of those people posting on the Preval site are Haitian-Americans(with massive chips on their shoulders) as opposed to native Haitians...

May 29, 2006
One of the first prioties in rehabilitating Haiti is to address the lack of cooking fuel for the country. Propane is still considered a luxery fuel; the majority of the country is using charcoal for cooking and relatively precious kerosene for lamps at night, if they have some spare money.

It is important to remember that Haiti used to be a major exporter of exotic woods and has been using charcoal and wood as their primary cooking fuel since its beginning. Haiti's total deforestation has led to the loss of topsoil, numerous food crops and forage for livestock. In some regions, tree roots are mined for charcoal production. Ironically, the ban of commercial charcoal production in the Dominican Republic has led to Haiti exporting charcoal to their neighbor, which only exascerbated the problem. Thousands die from landslides during hurricanes and whole communities have simply vanished

Some may think that giving Haiti kerosene or propane stoves and enough fuel would curb the deforestation, but it would be far more practical to import fuel made from agricultural waste imported from the US and other countries to give Haitian biofuel crops a chance to be established. Converting Haiti to petrolium based cooking fuels is litterally throwing gas on the fire since it unforseeable that they will be affordable to majority of the population within the next 20 years.

Both the DR and Haiti could benefit from the introduction of bagasse pellet production. Bagasse is remnant of the sugar cane after the juice has been pressed out. Much of it is used in the processing of the cane juice into sugar and the rest is typically used as fodder or in large scale power production. Improvements in mill efficiency could increase the supply of bagasse that could be converted into cooking fuel.

What other crops could be grown as biofuels? The Pencil Tree(Euphorbia tirucalli) could be one option as it already grows wild on the island. As a crop it could produce some 10 to 50 barrels of biodiesel per acre, it can be intercropped with food and other crops, and can also be used as a hedgerow. It is not suitable for coverting into charcoal and goats can browse the plant without killing it. It also has a big advantage in that it grows virtually anywhere.

Much of Haiti's so called development has been modeled after Pacific rim countries, where the production textiles for export to the US have benefitted few and there is no interest in improving the workers' wages-- that would make them less competative. Sadly, there is no shortage of workers who will work 10-12 hour shifts for a few dollars a day. Haiti could do far better by making biofuel and other agricultural production its economic center. It would shift Haiti back to its agrarian roots and benefit to the most Haitian people for their immediate needs of fuel and food security. We have tried for 50 years to fix Haiti from the top down. It is time to give bottom up management a try.

Reactions: mountainannie

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
For those discussing what Haiti "Needs", please take care to include the other side of the picture.

There was an article in the NY Times a few years ago, where photos showed rotting bags of food on ships docked in Haitian ports. This food was unable to benefit those who needed it most because of government corruption.

What are the people supposed to do about that?

The only ones that were having a feast were the rats and other vermin who were eating food meant for humanitarian aid.

The political arena from the grass-roots level is controlled by small armies of armed thugs that are fed and are supplied weapons by local and national politicians.

So you expect a poor, unarmed population to fight off these hoodlums how, exactly?

As an American, it is easy to lay blame on their doorstep and say "Yes, these people are poor because they WANT to be poor. Poverty is a state of mind".

But let's go back into our own history and see how how the agriculture and manufacturing sectors benefited from slave labor during slavery, cheap labor washing ashore on Ellis Island from Western Europe soon after the Industrial Revolution, and the taking of land by Congressional decree from the native Americans.

This is how the United States was built. Unless you can disprove this somehow, this is how it was. You are welcome to contradict me with a book or essay from any esteemed sociologist and/or political scientist.

So if Barbados is going to be used as an example for what Haiti should be but is not, please educate us on it's agricultural and manufacturing sector-how dependent is their economy on foreign imports? How much of their GDP is dependent on tourism? What is the state of their educational system (public and private)? What percentage of their land is owned by natives? Where do the elites educate their children?

All these things make a difference and from these answers we can derive a clearer view as to where Haiti needs to go and how it should get there. That is, according to you.

Because what you are implying NOW is a bit different from what you were insinuating yesterday (or maybe it isn't and I was the one mistaken in giving you the benefit of the doubt). What you are saying now is that there is something innate about the Haitian people that allows for their present conditions, that it is their very Haitian-ness that is the problem.

I give you the floor to clarify your position.

They did it against the French before, so what is your point

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
@ NALS:
Don't think it as a joke. There is a theory that Global Warming might lead to earthquakes. It is a less accepted theory, but never the less some geologists believe in it. Global Warming Might Spur Earthquakes and Volcanoes | LiveScience

Back to the topic:
I was going to post a similar thread. Haiti must be changed or it must cease to exist. I believe Haiti merely exists in name and in the hearts of its people; can it truly be considered a nation when it does not have any qualities to classify it as one?

The Haitian culture must change gradually over time, but now is the time for them (United Nation, World Powers, Haitian Government, etc.) to build the social and civil infrastructure that will help launch the needed change. I think many of us can agree that education is the first step; an area of education that they should focus on is agriculture. I would not dismiss the role of Haitian voodoo in the demise of the country (not the earthquake, but development), but I don't view it as a curse as other people say, for that is an ignorant statement. Voodoo's role is how it programs people to interact with their environment.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i think the culture change comes before education. if they don't really want to learn and have the reinforcement around them for why its important, the education won't work

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
One of the first prioties in rehabilitating Haiti is to address the lack of cooking fuel for the country. Propane is still considered a luxery fuel; the majority of the country is using charcoal for cooking and relatively precious kerosene for lamps at night, if they have some spare money.

It is important to remember that Haiti used to be a major exporter of exotic woods and has been using charcoal and wood as their primary cooking fuel since its beginning. Haiti's total deforestation has led to the loss of topsoil, numerous food crops and forage for livestock. In some regions, tree roots are mined for charcoal production. Ironically, the ban of commercial charcoal production in the Dominican Republic has led to Haiti exporting charcoal to their neighbor, which only exascerbated the problem. Thousands die from landslides during hurricanes and whole communities have simply vanished

Some may think that giving Haiti kerosene or propane stoves and enough fuel would curb the deforestation, but it would be far more practical to import fuel made from agricultural waste imported from the US and other countries to give Haitian biofuel crops a chance to be established. Converting Haiti to petrolium based cooking fuels is litterally throwing gas on the fire since it unforseeable that they will be affordable to majority of the population within the next 20 years.

Both the DR and Haiti could benefit from the introduction of bagasse pellet production. Bagasse is remnant of the sugar cane after the juice has been pressed out. Much of it is used in the processing of the cane juice into sugar and the rest is typically used as fodder or in large scale power production. Improvements in mill efficiency could increase the supply of bagasse that could be converted into cooking fuel.

What other crops could be grown as biofuels? The Pencil Tree(Euphorbia tirucalli) could be one option as it already grows wild on the island. As a crop it could produce some 10 to 50 barrels of biodiesel per acre, it can be intercropped with food and other crops, and can also be used as a hedgerow. It is not suitable for coverting into charcoal and goats can browse the plant without killing it. It also has a big advantage in that it grows virtually anywhere.

Much of Haiti's so called development has been modeled after Pacific rim countries, where the production textiles for export to the US have benefitted few and there is no interest in improving the workers' wages-- that would make them less competative. Sadly, there is no shortage of workers who will work 10-12 hour shifts for a few dollars a day. Haiti could do far better by making biofuel and other agricultural production its economic center. It would shift Haiti back to its agrarian roots and benefit to the most Haitian people for their immediate needs of fuel and food security. We have tried for 50 years to fix Haiti from the top down. It is time to give bottom up management a try.

Good post
and thanks!!

On the English Haiti list serve, we have been discussing this for a couple of years.

Here is the problem we are up against with propane in Haiti..

The poor do not have enough money to fill a propane tank.

Now,,,, if we could find refillable containers more on the size of camping fuel that we have in the States... THAT would be great.

Also the type of propane tank that is used in Haiti has a connector that is outlawed in most countries (but of course written into LAW in Haiti probably by the guy who runs the business).. so that has to be changed so that tanks and propane can just come in from the DR.

The Bagasse pellets have not yet proved to be economical. Ditto the Jatropha stoves.

But both of them are in use in some parts.

The other issue is the culture of charcoal... a mom starts the charcoal fire in the AM, puts on the rice and beans, and can leave a child to tend it since there is only enough fuel to cook that pot. There is no chance of fire or of wasting fuel. A propane stove requires constant tending.

The same is true for solar stoves.. it has to be turned and tended.

Not that these are insurmountable problems but they need to be considered.

Aside from Clinton and the factory owners there is little support in Haiti for the development model being pushed on them of the factory work. They had that and those factories were the first things to be looted and shut under JBA-

There does seem to be longing for self sustainable argiculture on the small and medium scale... to bring the country back to food sufficiency.. which it had, really, I believe until the 80s when the pigs were slaughtered and the subsidized US rice started to come in.

It is good to remember that Balaguer introduced the gas stove and subsidized propane here in the 80s.. and set aside vast tracks of National Parks under protection.. So I am sure that many Dominicans appreciate that there but for fortune...

Not to forget the trade winds which bless this side of the island and the mountains which curse the other.

But Haiti is broken now, on her knees. The people have lost everything in PAP and are now going to the countryside where their families will be hard pressed to feed them, as well, shortly.

If anyone can figure out how to refill those little propane tanks... we may have a good opening to get them in production and over there.

Thanks again for a great post!

May 29, 2006
I also think the bagasse pellets are a ways away, but in the interim, the US can certainly be sending fuel pellets and charcoal brickets to stem the fuel crisis. Leucania trees would really be great if they could get a foothold in Haiti because they are nitrogen fixing and again can be used for fodder. What happens now from what I hear is a pilot project gets going for six months or a year and the NGO comes in to find that the trees have either been cut down as firewood, or goats have girdled the tree after eating what foliage they could reach. This is simply not the kind of project that can be done on small scale.

Cooking fuel is one of the most undervalued commodities in the third world in terms of labor. In many cultures. women spend half of their day collecting fuelwood. Typically, when women collect the wood they are breaking off branches or collecting fallen wood and not killing the trees, but when men produce firewood, they cut down whole trees and convert it into charcoal. No money is exchange when women collect wood since it is for their own use, but charcoal is a for profit industry, adding to the GDP of a nation. Urban households use charcoal because a truckload load of charcoal will sell for far more than a truckload of wood and transportation is a major factor. But in the conversion of wood to charcoal, 70% of the caloric heat value of the wood is lost. So when someone moves to a city, their demand for wood as a cooking fuel increases by nearly four-fold. The urbanization of Haiti has likely doubled the demand for charcoal.

Wood can be a sustainable cooking fuel through coppicing, You can see trees that have been coppiced along roadsides in the DR often as living fences. Once or twice a year the new growth is cut away from the tree leaving the main trunk still alive. The system works as long as there is enough fuel, but in Haiti the problem would also be that trees would be cut down for charcoal for export so any tree is fair game for theft. The demand for exporting charcoal into the DR must be eliminated/curtailed if any reforestation project is to succeed in Haiti.

I agree that traditions and practices are a must for any new system to work. With what you have mentioned, I'm sure you have heard about the problems faced with the introduction of the Jiko stove in Africa. This is a good website telling the wonders of the stove:

The Kenya Ceramic Jiko

Unfortunately, it seems that many in Kenya's rural areas do not have access to the internet! It has been a long haul getting this device to be accepted and the turning point came when they NGO promoting the stove realized that foreign white men who do not speak the local language are not good at telling Kenyan women how they should cook their food! Go figure. They finally were able to get a group of Kenyan women to go out and demonstrate the stove and it has started to be more popular. I wonder what a different country Haiti would be if the stove had been introduced there 30 years ago.

PS--
The trade winds issue is part of the lack of rain in Haiti, but so is the deforestation. Because the trees are not absorbing the heat from the sun, the soil gets hot and reflects the heat back up into the sky. This creates massive thermal columns that can actually push rain clouds away from the island.

Last edited: