Tipping

jfleming

Jan 8, 2002
www.cybercolmado.com
As a resident here and a business owner I understand that the 10% service is law however I do not like it, I always tip for resonable service, and tip a little more for good or outstanding service. However when service it very poor, and the food bad, I hate being forced to pay 10% extra!

I agree on the maids, and other service personel getting a little tip for there service, however I do not tip honesty, I expect it that the maid will not not steal anything!!

A note for information only.....
That the ages between the wait staff and is VERY small much less than in Canada or the USA

Private Sector
Resturat/Bar/Disco (Value to RD$ 200,000)
$ 1950.00 / month
vs.
$ 2075.00 / month (most others)

Resturat/Bar/Disco (Value to RD$ 200,001 - 500,000)
$ 2160.00 / month
vs.
$ 2345.00 / month (most others)

Resturat/Bar/Disco (Value to RD$ 200,000)
$ 3030.00 / month
vs.
$ 3415.00 / month (most others)

As you can see in a 30 day period the waitstaff has a very good chance of making alot more!! With the mandatory 10% split up and added to those figures, it takes VERY, VERY little to put them over what a guy working 44 hours a week, lugging 50lbs of cement two at a time up and ladder all day does!

James Fleming

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
richard said:
Deb. I think you have the right idea. Marc you should remember the 12% has nothing to do with your server, that's a government tax You might also remember that third world or not people still have to feed their families. If you find the service so lousy perhaps you should try going to different restaurants or bars. If you are complaining about service at an all-inclusive where prices are so cheap keep in mind you get what you pay for, so why don't you stay at an independent hotel for a change?

Richard

I guess where I am coming from is a little different than the intent of original poster. I am a resident and as such get a little tired of getting hit with taxes and mandatory tips that I know do not get into the right hands.

We do have regular restaurants, and the ones that we are regulars at do not charge the 12%+10% because we are locals. Most restaurants will do that if you live here...At these locations, yes I do tip 15%+...why? Because the service is good, (which is why we are regulars...) and yes, people have to feed their families...just like you said.

Service is generally not "lousy" it is "different". It is a culture thing, and they simply do not have the same standard of service (in general) as Canada/US. It doesn't matter where we go. Yes, you will find places with excellent service, but they have not been the rule.

What my gripe boils down to is: when I go to a restaurant and get charged 22% on my bill, regardless of who gets it, I should not be expected to tip another 15% over and above. If they are charging me 10% gratuity and the server is not getting it, I do not see that as my problem, I see it as a problem with the system. I am not here to try and change the system, I can't even pay my own phone bill without a hassle!! When you live and work here, you are not typically making a north american salary...these percentages start to add up.

I love Sosua, and the restaurants are a big part of the charm, so don't get me wrong. I just get tired of everyone trying to suck the money out of you at every turn. Taxes and tipping on meals is just another one of those things on the loooooooooooong list...

look us up next time you are in Sosua, we'll head over to Charamicos and have some cervezas at Atlantico/Charamicos.

Cheers,
marc

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
If any one has found good bar people that will work for 1950.00/month, please let me know. It's more like 3,500.00 to 4,500.00 and more. Plus tips 75.00 to 300.00/day.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Hi Marc. please believe me I am well aware of what goes on as far as tax and service charge goes for residents after having been in the bar business in Sosua. Keep in mind, although the percent isn't shown on your "cuenta" it is still being included in your bill, the only difference being the owner is giving you a price break since he knows how tough it is to live on pesos. Of course you wouldn't patronize bars and restaurants where the service is the pits. No doubt you go to the Britannia where Lindo, one of Sosua's finest bartenders plies his profession, Eddy's, Rocky's or LaRoca where Pedro, Jose and the others work so hard providing excellent service. Now, if you go to Michael's and the other pubs in Charamicos who knows how much, if any tax is remitted to the government? As a former bar owner many of my associates and I had firm beliefs in that regard. Ask Eddy.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Waiters & waitresses in the DR.?

You must be joking! These are just a group of people in a uniform who are temporarily passing time in a hotel or resturant! They are un-trained and not at all motivated.Next week they will be "pumping gas",or cashiering,or selling flashlights door-to-door.You have to hit them with an ashtray to get their attention! If you want a second cup of coffee,you are a "trouble maker"! Do I generalize?,yes,do I stereotype?,you bet, am I right?,100%! Do I care?,not at all,been here to long.I just accept it! Cause it ain,t about to change.Colombus couldn,t get his check either!Criss Colon

richard

Jan 1, 2002
TO MARC

Hi Marc. I like your idea of heading over to Charamicos for a few cervezas. When I was there in November Grandes at Restaurant Central were only 30 RD, the same price as Michael's Pub and Dominican Service at Michael's was only 80 RD. For well under 100 RD most people, my self included, can get drunk as a lord. Right? I wish I could enjoy those prices year round as you can. Take care.

Richard

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Dominican Service

Is Dominican Service(as I've been told before)a small bottle of rum and a few cokes?

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Domninican Service

Yes it used to be fairly common even in tourist areas, however today I think you will find it mostly in non-tourist bars. It iscertainly an inexpensive way to drink.