Tips for Young Canadian Considering Brief Residency

Status
Not open for further replies.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Go to Cabarete.....

She's the type that will get 'sankified' in Cabarete too!

Las Terrenas might be safer bet if she can reach out to the Canadian community there. Certainly far better destination to appreciate DR with plenty of places to visit nearby with good restaurants and less rip offs. Some good night time options too without hookers everywhere. And it attracts the wealthy Dominican set too.

POP_DR

May 29, 2016
Actually the gorgon is not being rude, he basically tells you as it is straight forward. Cabarete might be an option for you to look in to. In cities like Puerto Plata you would be pretty much ion your own, there are no specific expat areas even if there are lots of expats living here, more regular daily life. Although there is a beach, university, exhibitions, library, nightlife etc.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yet again, no actual advice.. just more anger and attempted insults. When are you going to say something useful? Why shouldn't I come to Sosua? Maybe you should start with that.. Maybe you should try to actually explain some of this instead of trying to make me look stupid. I came on here to be informed and all you have done is attack me. My ears are open. I'm taking suggestions. You have yet to approach my questions in a pleasant and mature way. I enjoyed my time there. Is it a bloody crime? No. So p*** off or say something that I can learn from.

actually, go to Sosua. when your sanky dude cleans you out, just go to the archives and pull up this thread. all your supporters here will be happy to start a fund to put you back on your feet.

hey, i never promised to be nice. when you get done reading my posts, i want you to have no doubt about what i am saying. the people in the thread who want to be all nice and polite will be the first ones laughing their asses off when you start a thread to inform us that you are living in an abandoned schoolbus, and you can?t get a hold of your family because the love of your life sold your Galaxy 5.

I didn't bother reading all the stupid comments but yes you can be in Sosua relatively safe as a young solo female. I have many single lady friends who live here on their own. You do have to take precautions as you would in any strange place or big city etc...

Sosua really doesn't have any culture and it takes a special person to be able to live there, it is a really odd place which I love mostly bc of the people. I have made the best expat friends there. There are not that many young female expats in Sosua so Cabarete would be better if that is important to you.

Good luck whatever you decide, you are young so travel and have fun while you can!!

In not young but I'm Canadian :)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I spent me first two weeks in Sosua back in 2004, and "culture" was something I would never ascribe to this quaint little town, home base of the International Society of Cartographers.

Sosua after dark is no place for a young woman on her own. First of all, traditional Dominican culture clashes with the idea of an unchaperoned woman just hanging out. You will be considered someone who is looking to hook up, and you will be a relentlessly pursued target by every Dominican hustler who is looking to either fleece a turista, finagle a visa, or both.

Cabarete is a beach town whose raison d'?tre is kite surfing and other such activities, and attracts a different type of tourist than does Sosua.

The reason people are having difficulty getting over your comment about "culture" is that these two towns have nothing of the sort, and your desire to move there speaks to the same type of situation we've become jaded about.

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Okay. Indeed, I understand. Like I previously stated, I was informed that the sex tourism had died down and when I was out and about in Sosua, I really didn't see any indication of this.

First:
Welcome to DR1, hold on tight!

Second:
Especially since you're a young female, you need to learn more Spanish and make sure you pay attention to what's going on around you.

Third:
Perhaps you didn't notice the "Sex Tourism" because it's mostly Dominican/Haitian females "constantly" hitting on the males in Sosua. Or did you think everyone was just being "very" friendly?

Fourth:
Sosua is a very beautiful place, I love the town, the beach, etc., it was my first encounter back in the early 1990's. It's unfortunate that it's ruined now by the excessive sex trade. (Even then it was a "sex Tourism" town)

Fifth:
Enjoy your visit, BUT, be very careful, it can be very dangerous for a newbie. DO NOT FALL in love with "the love of your life" while there. There are thousands of Dominican men that will swear they love you at first sight.

I suggest reading/browsing the forum: Men from mars and women from venus

Sixth:
The responses are rough and tough here. We're only trying to open your eyes and protect you.

Be very careful and enjoy.

(Most likely posters will argue with this post also.)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
First:
Welcome to DR1, hold on tight!

Second:
Especially since you're a young female, you need to learn more Spanish and make sure you pay attention to what's going on around you.

Third:
Perhaps you didn't notice the "Sex Tourism" because it's mostly Dominican/Haitian females "constantly" hitting on the males in Sosua. Or did you think everyone was just being "very" friendly?

Fourth:
Sosua is a very beautiful place, I love the town, the beach, etc., it was my first encounter back in the early 1990's. It's unfortunate that it's ruined now by the excessive sex trade. (Even then it was a "sex Tourism" town)

Fifth:
Enjoy your visit, BUT, be very careful, it can be very dangerous for a newbie. DO NOT FALL in love with "the love of your life" while there. There are thousands of Dominican men that will swear they love you at first sight.

I suggest reading/browsing the forum: Men from mars and women from venus

Sixth:
The responses are rough and tough here. We're only trying to open your eyes and protect you.

Be very careful and enjoy.

(Most likely posters will argue with this post also.)

actually, the responses from the genuine people are rough and tough. they know the deal, and they don?t want to sit idly by and watch you get rooked by some ape. the pleasant responses are from the people who also know the deal, but want to see you fall into a mess, since their lives are a complete misery, and not even dogs bark at them.

Jul 28, 2014
You can certainly be/live in Sosua without having to be throat deep in Putas, you can hangout in many areas where that is not very prevalent.

On a side note, the beach is quite nice, there are many good restaurants and a good base of Expats to steer you in the right direction.

Just ask, I can point out a few places/people to chat with. Meet up with Harleysrock for example, you'd have a laugh ;)

P.S. Follow SantiagoDR 's advice of learning at least basic conversational Spanish, in can certainly help in many regards.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Visit first 3-4 weeks DR: 1 week Sosua, 1 week Las Terrenas, 1 week Santo Domingo, 1 week ...
And read before 1 month DR1.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Okay. Indeed, I understand. Like I previously stated, I was informed that the sex tourism had died down and when I was out and about in Sosua, I really didn't see any indication of this. Rather, it seemed quite vibrant and lively to me, both during the day and the night. However, again, my experience was only a brief one. Thus why I am looking for the advice.

Hi Marlee,

You unintentionally opened a can of worms in your quest for information on DR culture. I'm a Canadian who came here after I retired seven years ago, primarily because I was invited by friends from Canada to live here during the winters and experience the culture. Prior to that I travelled the Carribbean and other parts of the world extensively. I opened my mind, exposed myself to different cultures, and developed an appreciation for many of them. I am a cautious traveller and have no delusions about the dangers involved when travelling and staying in different countries. By respecting the people and their culture, I was able to travel freely and easily for years. Your obviously intelligent , open minded, and adventurous. All good qualities that will allow you to pursue your desire to live in and experience different cultures. Common sense and street smarts will also keep you safe and alive anywhere you travel, especially here.

There are good and bad places to live here. Come down , stay in a resort for a few weeks during the off season and check out accommodation in different areas and from different sources, real estate agents, VRBO, etc. A gated condo near the beach will be expensive to rent even in the off season. Cabarete has condos within easy walking distance and you can negotiate a long term stay price and get a better rate. Cabarete is a young persons town. You will meet people your age from all over the world as well as locals.

Once you have a base to operate from, travel to culturally interesting areas is possible. You just have to get a sense of the transportation system here and the risks involved when you, a young single woman use it. My best advice would be to travel with male and female friends when you explore the country. It's easy in Cabarete to book local tours of the major cultural sites and different DR environments if you want to go that route. It's a relatively safe way for a single woman to explore the country.

Tourists towns, Sosua, Cabarete, etc. are not truly indicative of the real Dominican Republic. The DR culture is very diverse as it's environment. To truly appreciate this country, you have to see it all. I don't know if a year is time enough to get a good perspective but it's worth a try. I discover new and beautiful places every time I come here.

A lot of the advise given to you in this forum is good advice. Take the rest with a grain of salt. Good luck in your travels and studies. Travelling is one of life's sweetest forms of education. If people opened their minds, travelled, and exposed themselves to other cultures, this world would be a more peaceful place.

PM me if you want more information.

POP_DR

May 29, 2016
A good way to explore and get to learn the society is actually volunteering. There are also possibilities in Puerto Plata, at Integracion Juvenil, who has two schools for very poor children and also classes for street kids. They welcome volunteers on short term basis, to just be there and help out, to teach English etc. Take your time, and first plan what you truly want to do with your time here, if it is just to be in a sunny country and speak to expats there is one route and a few destinations, if you want to explore other sides of life here, there are other routes. A few months up to a year consists of many days, so try to figure out what you truly are interested in!

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Have you considered Bavaro? With your budget you will find several one bedroom long term rentals in los Corales or El Cortecito that are walking distance to restaurants, shops, and the beach. There is a also a large expat population. There is an express bus to the capital that leaves several times daily, making it easy to take a day trip. It is about 400 pesos each way. The local guagua will also get you just about anywhere you need to go for 35 pesos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
<TLDR>

I think it is pretty clear what Marlee is looking for. A good time. A party break from school and home, some cool people to hang with and the ability to be 22 without being hassled or overtly targeted. When she says she wants to come and live, she is really saying she wants to come and experience living here for a few months then go home. I call that an extended vacation. "Culture" to Marlee probably equates to the practical day to day realities of staying here on the local economy without the support structure of a resort and tour guides.

The reality as I see it, is that there are not too many places in the DR where a foreign young person can slip in and spend a couple of months and find everything they are looking for and expecting. Not a lot of young people choose to do this here. Young-ish persons into wind sports do choose Cabarete for the wind and the waves. If encountering people my own age is an important consideration, that's where I would focus my attention. Cabarete is smaller than Sosua and after a trip through the meat dept. in Janet's Super Mercado, I would not choose to live there. Sosua has two grocery stores to choose from. As for the prostitution, it shouldn't be much of an issue for a female traveler.

I would think Sosua has more available in the way of short term rental accommodations but that is only my opinion. I am sure great places are available in either town. English is important to Marlee. Even with lessons, her Spanish won't be good enough to live outside an area where tourist English is available.

I recently dissuaded someone I know from coming to Sosua for a month. I know this person well, and bluntly told them they will be bored after 5 or six days. There is nothing to do here in Sosua except drink, eat, sit on a beach and repeat. Those of us who live here rely heavily on the daily grind of living to fill the available daylight hours. I cut the grass, buy groceries, weed the garden, exterminate the insect pests, wash my moto, rake the leaves, clean the pool fastidiously, wash the dogs until all their hair falls off and shop online. By the time I have done all this at a slow tropical paradise pace, it's dinner time and I can usually find something to watch on TV until bed time.

If the majority of these activities were not necessary, I'd go out of my mind with boredom. Even with them, I do get a little bored with the routine on occasion. There is nothing to do in Sosua to make a month fly by like the week or two on a resort tends to. One (even young people) can only party so much, eat so much and sit in the sun so much.

As for true culture, and to keep herself sane and to avoid the potential for long term liver damage, maybe Marlee would consider volunteering with an organisation that works with local children, or animals or some other charity a few days a week. Marlee would get to help and maybe make a difference while here and with few other choices, this is a good way to purposely tick off some hours and to soak up the reality (culture) of the DR.

I am sure Marlee could handle the 15 minute guagua ride between Sosua and Cabarete or vice versa frequently. It wouldn't really matter which town she ended up staying in. I'm sure the trip into Puerto Plata would also be no problem when a change of scenery becomes necessary.

I don't know what constitutes "True Dominican Culture". Sitting on the side of the road watching the world pass by? Playing Dominoes sitting on the patio of a convenience store sipping cold ones and arguing about everything? The two big cities in this country offer lots of diversity of both people and activities but for the most part don't satisfy the requirements of an extended vacation premise.

Marlee will find it difficult to bump into North American or European 20 somethings who will be here for as long as she plans to stay. She will meet people, they will leave and she'll have to start over again with the next bunch that arrives.

Is her plan do-able? Sure it is.
Is it safe to do: Yeah, but like everywhere, if you put yourself into dodgy situations sooner or later you'll encounter grief.
Will she have difficulty meeting people: Not a chance. At 22 she'll be the focus of interest/attention for every Dominican male and expat alike.

For a month or two sure come on down. Make sure someone always knows where you are, where you are going and when you expect to be back to your temporary home again. Plan on spending some time alone and lots of time meeting and dealing with new faces. Be smart and be very weary of Dominicans, especially the men, who develop an unhealthy interest much too quickly. Be aware of the pervy gringos too.

Good luck Marlee. I hope you choose to come. Just be prepared to leave when you've had enough.

Jul 28, 2014
I cut the grass, buy groceries, weed the garden, exterminate the insect pests, wash my moto, rake the leaves, clean the pool fastidiously, wash the dogs until all their hair falls off and shop online. By the time I have done all this at a slow tropical paradise pace, it's dinner time and I can usually find something to watch on TV until bed time.

That's cause you are an old dude Cdn ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
<TLDR>

I think it is pretty clear what Marlee is looking for. A good time. A party break from school and home, some cool people to hang with and the ability to be 22 without being hassled or overtly targeted. When she says she wants to come and live, she is really saying she wants to come and experience living here for a few months then go home. I call that an extended vacation. "Culture" to Marlee probably equates to the practical day to day realities of staying here on the local economy without the support structure of a resort and tour guides.

The reality as I see it, is that there are not too many places in the DR where a foreign young person can slip in and spend a couple of months and find everything they are looking for and expecting. Not a lot of young people choose to do this here. Young-ish persons into wind sports do choose Cabarete for the wind and the waves. If encountering people my own age is an important consideration, that's where I would focus my attention. Cabarete is smaller than Sosua and after a trip through the meat dept. in Janet's Super Mercado, I would not choose to live there. Sosua has two grocery stores to choose from. As for the prostitution, it shouldn't be much of an issue for a female traveler.

I would think Sosua has more available in the way of short term rental accommodations but that is only my opinion. I am sure great places are available in either town. English is important to Marlee. Even with lessons, her Spanish won't be good enough to live outside an area where tourist English is available.

I recently dissuaded someone I know from coming to Sosua for a month. I know this person well, and bluntly told them they will be bored after 5 or six days. There is nothing to do here in Sosua except drink, eat, sit on a beach and repeat. Those of us who live here rely heavily on the daily grind of living to fill the available daylight hours. I cut the grass, buy groceries, weed the garden, exterminate the insect pests, wash my moto, rake the leaves, clean the pool fastidiously, wash the dogs until all their hair falls off and shop online. By the time I have done all this at a slow tropical paradise pace, it's dinner time and I can usually find something to watch on TV until bed time.

If the majority of these activities were not necessary, I'd go out of my mind with boredom. Even with them, I do get a little bored with the routine on occasion. There is nothing to do in Sosua to make a month fly by like the week or two on a resort tends to. One (even young people) can only party so much, eat so much and sit in the sun so much.

As for true culture, and to keep herself sane and to avoid the potential for long term liver damage, maybe Marlee would consider volunteering with an organisation that works with local children, or animals or some other charity a few days a week. Marlee would get to help and maybe make a difference while here and with few other choices, this is a good way to purposely tick off some hours and to soak up the reality (culture) of the DR.

I am sure Marlee could handle the 15 minute guagua ride between Sosua and Cabarete or vice versa frequently. It wouldn't really matter which town she ended up staying in. I'm sure the trip into Puerto Plata would also be no problem when a change of scenery becomes necessary.

I don't know what constitutes "True Dominican Culture". Sitting on the side of the road watching the world pass by? Playing Dominoes sitting on the patio of a convenience store sipping cold ones and arguing about everything? The two big cities in this country offer lots of diversity of both people and activities but for the most part don't satisfy the requirements of an extended vacation premise.

Marlee will find it difficult to bump into North American or European 20 somethings who will be here for as long as she plans to stay. She will meet people, they will leave and she'll have to start over again with the next bunch that arrives.

Is her plan do-able? Sure it is.
Is it safe to do: Yeah, but like everywhere, if you put yourself into dodgy situations sooner or later you'll encounter grief.
Will she have difficulty meeting people: Not a chance. At 22 she'll be the focus of interest/attention for every Dominican male and expat alike.

For a month or two sure come on down. Make sure someone always knows where you are, where you are going and when you expect to be back to your temporary home again. Plan on spending some time alone and lots of time meeting and dealing with new faces. Be smart and be very weary of Dominicans, especially the men, who develop an unhealthy interest much too quickly. Be aware of the pervy gringos too.

Good luck Marlee. I hope you choose to come. Just be prepared to leave when you've had enough.

says CdnGringo

i guess he has seen her before.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
says Fausto

i guess he has seen her before.

The OP has never denied or admitted her desire to meet her Fausto or Yokaira, I mean when I was 22, this is all I had on my mind, Yokaira that is, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.