Tire question

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That wouldn't necessarily matter. You could buy top range tyres in DR looking brand new, and if they were factory rejects which DR imports loads of then..............................

factory rejects, or blems, are not rejected because they have safety or durability issues. they are rejected because of cosmetic defects.

May 5, 2007
Since I am not mechanically knowledgeable, I am asking help from anyone with better knowledge than mine - that should be easy!

I bought 4 new tires at the end of last November so 9 months old. 21K pesos.
Did not put that much mileage on the car since then. Maybe 10,000km - did not keep records.
Jeepeta Hyundai Tucson 2008.

On my last return trip from Santiago I noticed shaking when braking hard from about 80km/hr.

So today went to mechanic. He did something to the disc at the front. And re-balanced all wheels. He says the tires at the back have "escalons" i.e. they are not perfectly round but have like hum steps (?) in them. That apparently is caused by the yellow speed reducers on the POP Malecon and in Maimon. Apparently lots of people are having this problem. And I will need 2 new tires sooner rather than later.

I find it hard to believe that those speed reducers would cause the steps problem. Why did they not cause it to the front tires as well? Is the guy just trying to prepare me to buy new tires in 2-3 months?

By the way, balancing seems to have done the trick. Mechanic says no need to align wheels - they are fine. I dont think he put it on any machine to check alignment just took it for a quick road test.

Soooo, would the experts enlighten me to the world of tires in the DR?

I can't see the speed bumps doing anything at all to the actual tire unless you hit so hard you broke the internal bands, but wow

Those bumps could cause all types of suspension issues which in turn could cause uneven tire wear leading to "pulling"
to one side, vibration (Especially if a balancing weight was knocked off) and premature wear as the tires may not be tracking straight
and or only a very small portion of the inside or outside of the tire may be making contact with the road really hard to get
an accurate picture without putting car on alignment machine

The vibration under stress you describe is almost certainly a warped rotor, take care before it cost you much more A tire can
actually be out of round, a very few places have machines to correct this If out of round the probably came that way

May 5, 2007
Absolutely correct. You will see bubbles on the sides. This means new tire or take a big risk driving with this.

Did you ever think you would see Dominican drivers slowing to a full stop at the yellow bumps? They found out the hard way also.

Man, bubbles on the side means you hit hard enough to break the radial bands

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
factory rejects, or blems, are not rejected because they have safety or durability issues. they are rejected because of cosmetic defects.

Don't be ridiculous, tyres are rejected for many reasons, number one reason being they won't balance, but there are many othdr reasons. The computer rejects them, they are bound for recycling but many find their ways to places like DR. Containers arrive on the DR shores in droves, full of computer rejected tyres, which would not pick up cosmetics.
There is money to be made in countries like DR where anything less than good is exceptional.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I can't see the speed bumps doing anything at all to the actual tire unless you hit so hard you broke the internal bands, but wow

Those bumps could cause all types of suspension issues which in turn could cause uneven tire wear leading to "pulling"
to one side, vibration (Especially if a balancing weight was knocked off) and premature wear as the tires may not be tracking straight
and or only a very small portion of the inside or outside of the tire may be making contact with the road really hard to get
an accurate picture without putting car on alignment machine

The vibration under stress you describe is almost certainly a warped rotor, take care before it cost you much more A tire can
actually be out of round, a very few places have machines to correct this If out of round the probably came that way

one of the worst parts of having a warped rotor is that the wobble caused under braking does a number on your tie rod ends...and your steering rack.

May 5, 2007
one of the worst parts of having a warped rotor is that the wobble caused under braking does a number on your tie rod ends...and your steering rack.

whole front end and if it's front or four wheel drive, ouch But it's areal easy remedy, rotor/pad packages are ridiculously cheap these days

You remember back when we would keep turning rotors until they got so thin, first emergency stop and they sometimes would explode
Course a rotor for a common Chevy might have cost you a hundred plus back then If I recall a "good" GM rotor would take 3-4 turnings as long as it wasn't abused

Have to say that I was so happy when the junk I drove started having at least front discs, those drums were
such a PITA Ever have a car that the adjusters worked on, that is before you took them all apart, cleaned oiled etc

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
He obviously got mud in his tires.

[video=youtube;xRIimYq5gNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRIimYq5gNI[/video]

Apr 7, 2014
Since I am not mechanically knowledgeable, I am asking help from anyone with better knowledge than mine - that should be easy!

I bought 4 new tires at the end of last November so 9 months old. 21K pesos.
Did not put that much mileage on the car since then. Maybe 10,000km - did not keep records.
Jeepeta Hyundai Tucson 2008.

On my last return trip from Santiago I noticed shaking when braking hard from about 80km/hr.

So today went to mechanic. He did something to the disc at the front. And re-balanced all wheels. He says the tires at the back have "escalons" i.e. they are not perfectly round but have like hum steps (?) in them. That apparently is caused by the yellow speed reducers on the POP Malecon and in Maimon. Apparently lots of people are having this problem. And I will need 2 new tires sooner rather than later.

I find it hard to believe that those speed reducers would cause the steps problem. Why did they not cause it to the front tires as well? Is the guy just trying to prepare me to buy new tires in 2-3 months?

By the way, balancing seems to have done the trick. Mechanic says no need to align wheels - they are fine. I dont think he put it on any machine to check alignment just took it for a quick road test.

Soooo, would the experts enlighten me to the world of tires in the DR?
A. Loose lug nuts on one front tire
B. Warped rotors front/Cracked brake pads front/loose front caliper hold down bolts
C. Cheap tires with Treadwear rating below 300.
Or overinflated tire or unequal front tire air pressure
D. Balancing the tire. An unbalanced tire will vibrate above 80kph but seldom on braking. Additionally the tire can have an incorrect balance with missing wheel weights or the wrong wheel weights or too much weight
E. Worn struts in the front can limit dampening power, but you dont normally feel this until you are above 100kph.

F. If you tires are cupped or scuffed in the rear then your rear toe is incorrect. Or tires are underinflated/overinflated depending on how the steps are arranged.

It is a Hyundai so it wasnt built or designed

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

Apr 7, 2014
Rotors warp because of excessive heat.

Next time around, have your mechanic check to make sure the calipers are not hanging up......and causing the heat buildup.

The tires are a different issue.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Rotor warp because of overtightening the lug nuts. Their are cooling fins between the sides on front rotors to intentionally siphon air around them for cooling. If the brakes were overheating you would experience brake fade and boilover before you would feel warped rotors.
Rotors warp because people set the impact gun to maximum instead of whatever the manufacturer specified. Hyundai may require tightening to190ft-lbs but if your gun is set at 500ft-lbs then you are going to have warped rotors in quick time.

Apr 7, 2014
first of all, please tell us what is the make of the tires in question. if the brand is something like Beautiful Rainbow, or Family Happiness, then you bought some Chinese crap, and you should consider yourself lucky you got 10k kilometers out of them.
This is what Im saying look at the Treadwear rating stamped.on the sidewall of the tire. It may read 160 or 180 which are low mileage tires. If its molded into the tire like North American tires have, by law, then you got a 10-15,000km tire anyway. I bet the brand name is Dim Fang or Hung 8.

Apr 7, 2014
I used to work at a Volvo store. Brand new cars would roll right off the truck with defective tires. Of course, you dont know this until the car is sold and the owner brings it back for quality control troubleshooting.
Pirelli P6 always had problems. Pirelli Scorpion and anything Italian couldnt hold a balance for nothing. The only tires from the assembly line that never had a problem were Michelins. And since defective tires were warranty items on a car with 14 miles on it they were sent back to Volvo.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It is really bad that defective tyres were getting through onto production cars, or even into tyre exchanges. This must have been many years we had the testing we have today.