Todays exchange rate, 2003-July 2008...archive only

Status
Not open for further replies.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Friday, 31 Oct 2003 - Halloween

Believe it or not: 37.05:1 at an ATM in Sosua using a debit card on one of our PayPal accounts. Received 8000 pesos, total cost was US$215.92 including fees.

Tom (aka XR)

sable227

Aug 11, 2003
used my check card to pay codetel. Took a couple of days to clear the US bank but got 36/$1.

I wait for the rate to climb and then go pay it

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't know the rate,but it hasn't gone down. Today, even from some of the change banks on the street in Sosua you can get 37.50.

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003

AP Moca

-----------------

Maybe I should ask this in business forum ? but I can't get any bank especially Popular to send a wire to Holland in Euros. In past I changed dollars to buy pesos and then purchased euros, nobody wants the action now :( Not to mention the dollar against the euro is getting creamed. september 2002 cost me .84 cents to buy 1 euro. today it is over 1.20 i believe(have to check docs) I am not talking about a few hundred either ...... 5 figures and they won't touch it :( this is getting bad..................

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is the exchange rate falling? Today about noon Vimenca in Sosua got a call from main office in SD indicating the rate of exchange had dropped RD$0.50

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Juan_Lopez: last september (9/2002) you should have been able to buy EU$ for US$0.98. Right now you should be able to buy EU$ for about US$1.15. Given the volatility in the DR, it might be a little higher than US$1.15...but certainly less than US$1.20.

Last edited:

Juan_Lopez

Oct 21, 2003
mondongo said:
Juan_Lopez: last september (9/2002) you should have been able to buy EU$ for US$0.98. Right now you should be able to buy EU$ for about US$1.15. Given the volatility in the DR, it might be a little higher than US$1.15...but certainly less than US$1.20.

Like I said need to check paperwork (and i'm 1,000 miles away), nevertheless it is still at or over 1.20 up quite a bit from last year huh? How much is that? 20+% by your numbers? Your september quote... was that at the begining of september, the end or an average of all days? I sorta remember a big swing in september, No?

The point I was trying to make was that because of the peso/econo problems Banco Popular will not send a wire.

and MORE IMPORTANTLY .......................

PLEASE.....Do you or anybody know a bank that will send a wire in euros? Preferably in the Santiago area, heck even in the capital if I have to.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I exchanged today at Vimenca in Sosua. Got 38.50. (Wed)

Stopped in to see what the exchange rate was and was told it was 39. Went home for check book and returned, only to find that during the 15 or 20 minutes they had gotten a call from main office in SD stating that rate had dropped to 38.50.

Lurch

Aug 8, 2003
Forget about it.....

Whether 40:1 is too high to sustain an economy is completely irrelevant to any downward pressures.

The R.D. is currently a nonviable economic/political model proven by the attempts at exporting taxes to create revenue. Government payroll and debt service alone shall consume more than 100% of the (2004) budget.

I recall about 10 months ago when a certain European bank placed the exchange rate at 63:1 (2004) for new business venture capitalization. I thought it was motivated by an extraordinary risk assessment coefficient based upon the RD/PRD. Today I would say they appear to be on target.

The possible loss by keeping your money in USD or Euros for the R.D. market is minimal while assuming pesos is a ridiculous risk.

Keep your dollars and Euros and watch the train crash from sidelines, even if it bounces with an IMF (other) infusion it will still break new all time lows in the near future (inorganics).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think I hit the "HIGH" this time!!!!!

I see a re-valuation of the peso in the next days/weeks! Look for 35 to 1 soon.The "Ex-Pat" Dominicans will be here in Dec.with all their US Dollars,and Euros! That has traditionally lowered the rate!!Look for next year to hit 50! in Feb or March!CC

I got caught just like KEN! Dropped .5 between my call at 8:45,and my messenger's arrival 2 hours later!Who cares?? I'm spending like a drunken Sailor!!! Monopoly Money comes to mind!!!!This is better than the "Black Market" in VietNam!!
:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.