Top 5 most dangerous neighborhoods in Santo Domingo

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I wonder if it is not too much to ask the Mods to delete any posts in future where people are trying to suggest that poor Dominicans are rats, vermin, roaches, scum, and other words I have to read on here all too frequently. It is more than worrying that these attitudes are allowed to persist unchallenged on a webpage which is supposed to be for those who want to make a life in Dom Rep.

Tell me Paul, what makes the five most dangerous barrios so dangerous?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Tell me Paul, what makes the five most dangerous barrios so dangerous?

Thugs, ladrones, and street rats.............

I don't believe anyone who has posted negative about "some" folks who live in the barrios is saying "everyone". I think we are all intelligent enough to realize you have a better chance of finding the worse of the worse living in the barrios. This does NOT mean you will not also find some of the kindest, sweetest people on earth who just by circumstances are forced to live in bad areas.

Relax Tropical, don't take some things so serious.............

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
There you are.
I don't think anyone is writing that poor people or people from the barrios are all bad. But the bad things that are committed are mainly committed by people from the barrios. Don't close your eyes.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There you are.
I don't think anyone is writing that poor people or people from the barrios are all bad. But the bad things that are committed are mainly committed by people from the barrios. Don't close your eyes.

it all depends upon what your definition of ''bad things '' is. sometimes, bad things, for people like the poor in the barrios, are lack of opportunity, lack of services, lack of decent schools, lack of infrastructure, and other such necessities of life. sometimes these deficiencies eventuate because politicians steal all the monies allocated by government to realize those intentions. sometimes it is theft, other times apathy, and also incompetence. sometimes, combinations and permutations of all the above. when you live in a neighborhood, and there is no worthwhile school to which you can send your child, that is a bad thing.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
it all depends upon what your definition of ''bad things '' is. sometimes, bad things, for people like the poor in the barrios, are lack of opportunity, lack of services, lack of decent schools, lack of infrastructure, and other such necessities of life. sometimes these deficiencies eventuate because politicians steal all the monies allocated by government to realize those intentions. sometimes it is theft, other times apathy, and also incompetence. sometimes, combinations and permutations of all the above. when you live in a neighborhood, and there is no worthwhile school to which you can send your child, that is a bad thing.

Hey G, we agree on something. ;)
Most people in the barrio only have learned how to hustle but one has to look through that.
From all the countries I lived I must say that some of the strongest, sincerest friendships I've made was with Dominicans.
When I was in need they were there and no questions asked.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Ok, even a badly cooked meal is s bad thing, a bad bed is a bad thing.
I am not referring to “el por que”, it is as it is. Most crimes are committed by people living in the barrios. And of course when generations after generation people suffer from lack of ethic education, schooling, financial possibilities and a proper upbringing with a present father it has its effects.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It might be more accurate to say that violent crime, property crime or crime against individuals predominantly have their roots within the barrios and the lower economic classes. The "big crimes" such as frauds, embezzlement and graft are usually far removed from barrios and the inhabitants of those areas.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It might be more accurate to say that violent crime, property crime or crime against individuals predominantly have their roots within the barrios and the lower economic classes. The "big crimes" such as frauds, embezzlement and graft are usually far removed from barrios and the inhabitants of those areas.

thank you.

to people who do not have water, light, schooling, and opportunities, those are bad things. especially when the Minister of Education steals the school budget to build a road to her house.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
There you are.

I agree with other posters. The worst things that happen in Dom Rep are that politicians steal money that is supposed to be spend on education or hospitals, and we all know that happens in Bella Vista, not in the barrios.

And I know that people like bigbird and the gorgon know how life really is in Dom Rep. But some people who post on here who live in their gated communities in Sosua genuinely believe that all Dominicans who live in poor barrios are rats, not just some of them. I read in here way too often.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Gated communities are an attempt to preclude unintentional interactions with would be sightseers who see nothing wrong with wandering around coveting that which they will never have. Those that choose to live in segregated communities are fairly sure that if they are going to be accosted and shot, it will be with a $6000 USD example of firearm craftsmanship owned by their neighbor and not a rusted old S&W that has been up close and personal with the crotch of a barrio hoodlum wanna be.

Those with nice things have to protect them. Lots of walls, gates, wire and security in every wealthy enclave anywhere in the world not just here in the DR.

Yes those who cannot afford that lifestyle see it as elitist...well it is, get over it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I agree with other posters. The worst things that happen in Dom Rep are that politicians steal money that is supposed to be spend on education or hospitals, and we all know that happens in Bella Vista, not in the barrios.

And I know that people like bigbird and the gorgon know how life really is in Dom Rep. But some people who post on here who live in their gated communities in Sosua genuinely believe that all Dominicans who live in poor barrios are rats, not just some of them. I read in here way too often.

My wife's cousin lived in San Carlos in the same rundown building for 25 year, one block down from Av Mexico, very close to Chinatown gate, mainly because it was a central location and had fixed rent. She would be the first one to tell you that the place was filled with criminal scum. Last year they moved to a much nicer area and she got mugged, go figure.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I have no problem with poor people. In fact I love that there are lots of poor people in DR :)

Who else will clean your house for $400 pesos a day and raise your kids for you for $ 250 US a month ?

There are good people in the barrios, when you cruise through there in the day time they are nowhere to be found . They are too busy working and making an effort in life.

What you do see are criminals, drug dealers, prostitutes and irresponsible father figures who dont take care of their offspring. The Dominican underclass are champions of moral bankruptcy, disease, irresponsible family planning, substance abuse. You can not defend them or dispute this. I dont write people off based on where they live, I write them off instantly by how they dress talk and carry themselves.

I remember being there in 2003-2004 as a left leaning recent college graduate who would help people. The non functioning poor ( not the poor working class ) are lazy, and will do anything for money other than work.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
What you do see are criminals, drug dealers, prostitutes and irresponsible father figures who dont take care of their offspring. The Dominican underclass are champions of moral bankruptcy, disease, irresponsible family planning, substance abuse. You can not defend them or dispute this.

I'll defend them and I'll dispute this. Having spent almost 3 years living
in a barrio (La Joya, Santiago) I'm probably the only person who posts on
DR1 regularly who qualifies to do so. Clearly you have no idea what you are
talking about. Most the vices you mention are perpetuated by people coming
into the barrio who do not live there. Its very easy to put down folks who live
a different lifestyle. Not everyone in the this world wants to live like you. If you've
ever spent time in a barrio you would know, like many others, for some people its just home.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
a different lifestyle. Not everyone in the this world wants to live like you. If you've
ever spent time in a barrio you would know, like many others, for some people its just home.

I am talking about the folks that are hanging around on 3 legged white plastic chairs in front of their shacks at 1 pm. There are good folks in the barrios. I am referring to the people that are visible and spend all day there. There are lots of good folks who have a home in the "hood" and stay because it works for them financially. Obviously I am not referring to them.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

if you are referring to where you currently live, that is not my idea of a barrio...not hardcore, anyway. i live in an area that is roughly the same demographic. best people on earth. none of them know my real name...they never asked. to them, i am the Jamaican guy, so my name is Jamaica. i play dominoes with a group of guys every afternoon, and if i do not show up for 2 days in a row, there will be one or more of them at my home, checking to find out if i am ok.

those are real people. most of them have nothing material, but they are human beings. they are light years better than some guy who leases a BMW and thinks he is somebody.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am talking about the folks that are hanging around on 3 legged white plastic chairs in front of their shacks at 1 pm. There are good folks in the barrios. I am referring to the people that are visible and spend all day there. There are lots of good folks who have a home in the "hood" and stay because it works for them financially. Obviously I am not referring to them.

It's very very hard to get a job in Dom Rep, especially if you come from a rough barrio of Santo Domingo, especially if you haven't had a great education. Whenever someone is recruiting there are lines round and round the block. One of my staff said he sent out his CV over 800 times before he got a job with me, and I can believe it. Some people sit on plastic chairs because they have nothing else to do, go figure.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Gated communities are an attempt to preclude unintentional interactions with would be sightseers who see nothing wrong with wandering around coveting that which they will never have. Those that choose to live in segregated communities are fairly sure that if they are going to be accosted and shot, it will be with a $6000 USD example of firearm craftsmanship owned by their neighbor and not a rusted old S&W that has been up close and personal with the crotch of a barrio hoodlum wanna be.

Those with nice things have to protect them. Lots of walls, gates, wire and security in every wealthy enclave anywhere in the world not just here in the DR.

Yes those who cannot afford that lifestyle see it as elitist...well it is, get over it.

I also live in a fortress, but I do speak Spanish, I don't know any expats at all - all my friends are Dominican - and I think I am integrated enough to understand how things work and don't work, enough so to recognise that poor Dominicans are not vermin and not always bad.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Sadly, its not about poverty. Poverty does not define one- it impacts life, and the conditions of poverty are dealt with in so many different ways. What is lost in the discussion is the social decay that can infect poverty- but it can infect those of wealth as well. The goodness in people exists in each socio economic strata- as does the the influence of evil and corruption. Unfortunately, poverty is often associated with the latter, but you can be surprised by the goodness of those whose economic situations leave a lot to be desired for. I have found in life that those who robbed from me lived in fine homes, with business interests and drove luxury vehicles to good restaurants.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
if you are referring to where you currently live, that is not my idea of a barrio...not hardcore, anyway. i live in an area that is roughly the same demographic. best people on earth. none of them know my real name...they never asked. to them, i am the Jamaican guy, so my name is Jamaica. i play dominoes with a group of guys every afternoon, and if i do not show up for 2 days in a row, there will be one or more of them at my home, checking to find out if i am ok.

those are real people. most of them have nothing material, but they are human beings. they are light years better than some guy who leases a BMW and thinks he is somebody.
Not the same area i live in now. Its like night
and day when compared to La Joya.