Tourism in DR

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Punta Cana caters to those who want everything within the gates of the resort. Fun, food, drinks, pool, beaches, everything a bracelet can get you. But there are those who want to explore the country beyond the gates. And that is where maybe the DR is lacking in with advertising.

Was hard this part for the goverment to understand that, and still they are slow, but Mexican Market from Ciudad de Mexico are the one the do the great job to make MITUR to make up their mind. They started to promote 3 years ago Punta Cana beaches and that year only visitted the country arround 7,000 mexicans. As they realize didnt has the impact of the beach promotion for next year they changed and started to promote Santo Domingo en Mexico and after Santo Domingo then the beaches and that year came 13,000 mexicans, double the amount from previos year promoting only beaches.

Another Mexican example is Aeromexico, after the sucess of that promotion Aeromexico announced in 2016 will start direct flights MEX-SDQ 4 days a week using a 99 seats airplane, 3 months after start the flights increased to 5 flights a week, in March 2017 they announced will be daily fliths, for the second year in operations announced in March 2018 they announced will increase fom 99 seats to 124 seats airplane. In the other hand Aeromexico this month announced will start to flight Punta Cana with seasonal flights from November to March 2 weekly flights with 99 seats airplnes. So you can see the diference on how Aeromexico started to fly in Santo Domingo And Punta Cana, with the Sucess of Punta Cana and with a very big arline as Aeromexico any body could think they should start to fly daily to Punta Cana but they dont and will start with seasonal flights.

When the goverment start to take more seriously that Santo Domingo is a big plus to the turism offer and start to give more promotion to the Capital and the Colonial Zone a lot people will continue thinking that we only have nice beaches and any other destination in the tropics.

Dov1984

Sep 18, 2016
Personally I think you just have met the wrong Americans. Plus much of that can be based as most only get 2 weeks of vacation a year and many split it taking to e in the summer and winter. My experience in the AI's is they were filled with Canadians, Europeans with some Americans but that was on the North Coast. When I speak to many of my fellow Americans many say oh I have been to the DR, 9 times out of 10 it is to an AI in Punta Cana. I think a lot has to do with advertising from the tourism, the travel agencies generally push Punta Cana. My sister in law owns a travel agency, the last 2 years she has targeted college kids going on spring break pushing Punta Cana over Cancun. She has warmed to the idea of pushing the North Coast somewhat. The problem is also the overall perception of the DR in America as being very dangerous which again I feel is due to people being told at Punta Cana AI's not to leave the grounds due to danger. Also I have many friends who are of Dominican descent who are from Santo Domingo who will tell others not to go because of crime yet most have not been to the North. I am not naive enough to think the North Coast isn't dangerous either. I feel it is all about how you handle yourself, your attitude, & being aware of your surroundings. I have been lucky enough to find a couple of very trustworthy taxi drivers. I also employ quite a few Dominicans from the Puerto Plata area who have made sure I am taken care of down there. I knock on wood that in my times down there I have yet to experience anytime bad, I realize I am lucky but I am also very cautious. My general attitude is I survived living in the Lower East Side of NYC in the 1980's which is saying something.
When American's say "like to travel", it usually means the vacation experience where the most stressful part is losing your lounge chair close to the bar. While the concept is still in the wishful thinking stages, usually some website like priceline or similar markets a clickable package that puts the whole "Caribbean" experience into a 9 day / 8 night with plenty of lounge chairs and no need to venture further than the AI buffet. I run into Americans at the airport claiming to love the DR, but they'd just like to find some local money to bring home.

15% sounds about right if not a little high. I think of the cruise ship docking with 1% going for excursions.

When I explain how I travel with a backpack, no plan, and taking local transport, nobody gets it except for Europeans and Australians. I've given up even bothering trying to explain it to Americans.

(I admit I thought of the lowly chica while I read that. Although I don't endorse prostitution, I can't help admire somebody who figures out how to put 95% of every tourist dollar spent back into the economy.)

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Personally I think you just have met the wrong Americans. Plus much of that can be based as most only get 2 weeks of vacation a year and many split it taking to e in the summer and winter. My experience in the AI's is they were filled with Canadians, Europeans with some Americans but that was on the North Coast. When I speak to many of my fellow Americans many say oh I have been to the DR, 9 times out of 10 it is to an AI in Punta Cana. I think a lot has to do with advertising from the tourism, the travel agencies generally push Punta Cana. My sister in law owns a travel agency, the last 2 years she has targeted college kids going on spring break pushing Punta Cana over Cancun. She has warmed to the idea of pushing the North Coast somewhat. The problem is also the overall perception of the DR in America as being very dangerous which again I feel is due to people being told at Punta Cana AI's not to leave the grounds due to danger. Also I have many friends who are of Dominican descent who are from Santo Domingo who will tell others not to go because of crime yet most have not been to the North. I am not naive enough to think the North Coast isn't dangerous either. I feel it is all about how you handle yourself, your attitude, & being aware of your surroundings. I have been lucky enough to find a couple of very trustworthy taxi drivers. I also employ quite a few Dominicans from the Puerto Plata area who have made sure I am taken care of down there. I knock on wood that in my times down there I have yet to experience anytime bad, I realize I am lucky but I am also very cautious. My general attitude is I survived living in the Lower East Side of NYC in the 1980's which is saying something.

All is based in personal experience, there is not 100% secure place, you must have common sence everywhere you go and Santo Domingo is not exception. Im Dominican, went to Mexico City and Guanajuato and nothing happend to me, and Im sure Mexico City is not more safe than Santo Domingo. AI here says is danger because they want you book a tour with them mostly, If were really dangerous they wouldnt include Santo Domingo, the top 3 excursions in Punta Cana are Santo Domingo, Samana, and Isla Saona.

Dov1984

Sep 18, 2016
All is based in personal experience, there is not 100% secure place, you must have common sence everywhere you go and Santo Domingo is not exception. Im Dominican, went to Mexico City and Guanajuato and nothing happend to me, and Im sure Mexico City is not more safe than Santo Domingo. AI here says is danger because they want you book a tour with them mostly, If were really dangerous they wouldnt include Santo Domingo, the top 3 excursions in Punta Cana are Santo Domingo, Samana, and Isla Saona.
I completely agree with you on this. I haven't gone to SD yet although I have a few friends who want me to visit. I have been to Santiago, Sabaneta, and Jarabacoa, I enjoyed all of them. Each time I was with Dominican friends or employees visiting friends, family or employees or both. Again I think better advertising and a push from the tourism board of DR would help especially with what the media is showing about Mexico. I would think it could bring many more tourists to visit the DR not just Punta Cana but the North Coast & the Mountains

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I completely agree with you on this. I haven't gone to SD yet although I have a few friends who want me to visit. I have been to Santiago, Sabaneta, and Jarabacoa, I enjoyed all of them. Each time I was with Dominican friends or employees visiting friends, family or employees or both. Again I think better advertising and a push from the tourism board of DR would help especially with what the media is showing about Mexico. I would think it could bring many more tourists to visit the DR not just Punta Cana but the North Coast & the Mountains

Totally Agree, Dominican Republic must advertise whole country including the Capital not only show Punta Cana. There is a very big market that do not only want eat at get drunk in the beach. I have friends very surpiced when I have show them videos and Pictures of the Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo, and want to come and stay few nights in Santo Domingo and the rest in a beach.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Personally I think you just have met the wrong Americans.

I've looked under many rocks. I seem to be kindred souls with Europeans, but you have to search for an american willing to do more than lounge, drink, and eat, or worse, take advantage of desperate conditions. I hope there are some exceptions here.

I have found a few Americans that were ready to do the rental car vacation in the DR. You know, fly to say Arizonia rent a car and hit the grand canyon, painted desert, petrified forest, meteor crater, etc. They knew cerveza, por favor, and gracias. They heard good things about the DR, so they came to me for advice.

I'd tell them about my first DR experience. Military checkpoints, searches, shake down by military police, picking up a school girl "hitchhiker" that wanted a trip to the cabana (yeah, i was that naive). And, of course, the wonderful Dominican people that are 99% wonderful. I pushed them towards a AI or a tamer country.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I've looked under many rocks. I seem to be kindred souls with Europeans, but you have to search for an american willing to do more than lounge, drink, and eat, or worse, take advantage of desperate conditions. I hope there are some exceptions here.

I have found a few Americans that were ready to do the rental car vacation in the DR. You know, fly to say Arizonia rent a car and hit the grand canyon, painted desert, petrified forest, meteor crater, etc. They knew cerveza, por favor, and gracias. They heard good things about the DR, so they came to me for advice.

I'd tell them about my first DR experience. Military checkpoints, searches, shake down by military police, picking up a school girl "hitchhiker" that wanted a trip to the cabana (yeah, i was that naive). And, of course, the wonderful Dominican people that are 99% wonderful. I pushed them towards a AI or a tamer country.

I don't know what you mean by "take advantage of desperate conditions."  I doubt I qualify.

Own a house and a condo.  Live in house with the family of my wife who is Dominican.  We are raising our two kids with help from her mother.  Enduring all the usual drama with family.

Have residency.  Hit the beach with family in Dominicus occasionally.  Spend time in Bavaro.  Eat pescado at Caleta.  Travel freely in that area of the country.

Yes, I am "American."  Born in U.S.  Know many people from the U.S. in these places.

Hope never to be robbed, like most people in the family has been robbed at one time or another.  Dominican family that is.  That's just how it is here.  Ever time someone travels, if only a short distance, the goodbye is always followed by cuidate.

Almost everyone on the plane from Nueva York to Punta Cana is "American" coming for DR vacation at AI.  But, there are many that rent condos too.  For better, or worse.  Almost everyone on the plane from Nueva York to Santo Domingo is Dominican.

Have to visit U.S. frequently to escape the chaos.  There may come a day when we all leave, but I doubt it.  I really want my kids to stay and help make the DR a better place.  As Dominicans (which they are), not extranjeros.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I don't know what you mean by "take advantage of desperate conditions."  I doubt I qualify.

Own a house and a condo.  Live in house with the family of my wife who is Dominican.  We are raising our two kids with help from her mother.  Enduring all the usual drama with family.

Have residency.  Hit the beach with family in Dominicus occasionally.  Spend time in Bavaro.  Eat pescado at Caleta.  Travel freely in that area of the country.

Yes, I am "American."  Born in U.S.  Know many people from the U.S. in these places.

Hope never to be robbed, like most people in the family has been robbed at one time or another.  Dominican family that is.  That's just how it is here.  Ever time someone travels, if only a short distance, the goodbye is always followed by cuidate.

Almost everyone on the plane from Nueva York to Punta Cana is "American" coming for DR vacation at AI.  But, there are many that rent condos too.  For better, or worse.  Almost everyone on the plane from Nueva York to Santo Domingo is Dominican.

Have to visit U.S. frequently to escape the chaos.  There may come a day when we all leave, but I doubt it.  I really want my kids to stay and help make the DR a better place.  As Dominicans (which they are), not extranjeros.

I've offended; and I apologize.

I've definitely painted with a broad brush and there are definite exceptions, but do you disagree in general? I've said from a very young age (~13 years) when I was far removed from anything Caribbean that "living off tourism isn't living at all" and I can find nothing inconsistent with that in this thread. It subsistence at best and in leaner years, poverty.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I've offended; and I apologize.

I've definitely painted with a broad brush and there are definite exceptions, but do you disagree in general? I've said from a very young age (~13 years) when I was far removed from anything Caribbean that "living off tourism isn't living at all" and I can find nothing inconsistent with that in this thread. It subsistence at best and in leaner years, poverty.

I am not offended.  I completely understand why you say what you do.  I have a choice to live in US or DR or other places.  I spend most of my time in DR.  I am married to a Dominican and live mostly with our family who I love - most of the time  :  )  It is not always easy to be born in DR and try to succeed.  Part of what caught my attention in the article I posted is the question about how much intense tourism helps the country.  There have been discussions about that here on DR1.  One brother of my wife works in a hotel in Punta Cana.  And, another is taking classes to do the same.  So, I fully understand that benefit.  The article provides much to think about.  I do not claim to have answers.  But, I found it quite good to see an article with such depth.

Last edited:

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Let's see where this goes. I think the DR potential to have extraordinary value and differentiate itself from other locations is great. The commoditization of the travel industry is due to the desire of the present traveler to sit on the beach and do nothing else. Why go to one of the most dangerous places on Earth to do that (yes that's the DR).
What the DR does offer is unreal natural beauty, going from beautiful beaches to 11,000 foot elevations, to potential hiking, to whale watching to kite surfing, to almost anything. This does not have the feel of a small island and differentiation would be easy. If you offered a 1 or 2 week tour across the country that would be a dream vacation. The problem is the towns and the culture and the overall corruption of government and pretty much all the people. I'll leave it at that, but in terms of the DR being able to differentiate itself by the nature of the country, there are a million ways to do that. Now it is just allowing for those ideas to flourish without getting robbed blind (both tourists and investors).

well said.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Everything is cyclical - Tourism hot spots become ghost towns and then may become hot again.
I first came to Punta Cana in 2000 - the place was ramping up development sure but it with some local flare and several AI hotels.
The beaches were sandy and clean and the water a clear beautiful blue and the hotels were very affordable. I drove across the island last year for a week and for whatever reason the beaches are now covered in seaweed and the water so full of it swimming is not a pleasant experience (almost impossible for kids to wade out). Is this because the number of AIs have done something to the water ? But the quaint local charm factor is gone (for me) - People will still continue to come but the prices are not as appealing and if the seaweed problem continues I expect fewer people will want to return.
This year my beach experience other than Playa Grande and Sosua will be Playa Russo and a trip to Barranquilla in Colombia, which will cost about the same as a week in Punta Cana.

Tourism is cyclical, nothing lasts forever - San Francisco, Acapulco, Mazatlan are some examples

Science Magazine recently published an article about the seaweed crisis that is threatning beach tourism all over the Caribbean. One of the largest batch of seaweed on record is currently affecting  Puerto Rico, this one might reach the DR too.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/mysterious-masses-seaweed-assault-caribbean-islands

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Science Magazine recently published an article about the seaweed crisis that is threatning beach tourism all over the Caribbean. One of the largest batch of seaweed on record is currently affecting  Puerto Rico, this one might reach the DR too.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/mysterious-masses-seaweed-assault-caribbean-islands
Scary. If this is the long term future of the Caribbean then tourism will suffer. I think theyPacific is still reasonably free of seaweed

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Dov1984

Sep 18, 2016
Scary. If this is the long term future of the Caribbean then tourism will suffer. I think theyPacific is still reasonably free of seaweed

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Let's hope this is not the future, growing up in NJ that is all I remember about going to the beaches here, that plus needles & other medical waste

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I might be wrong but seems most of the tourist in the Dom Rep are European or Canadian. Not many charters from the USA. Flights coming from the US are full of Dominicans spending money locally. These are the same that send remittances. So for the AI’s it is a matter of getting charter flights in and out of the tourist airports. Most tourist want a direct flight and Cancun does a good job at courting them. In the early 90’s Auruba had a big charter/travel agent clientele in Boston. Not so big anymore. With the choices out there many go to a DR AI once. My friends had nothing good to say except the beach was nice. All went to Punta Cana against my warning. 

Bottom line is. The resort offering the best food and service at a fair price would be what my crowd of people are looking for. I have friends dropping 30K at Beaches T&C for a family of 4 and others settling in Barbados with a time share. With the internet and more information there are many places to go other than AI’s. Let’s see what the millennials go for in the upcoming years. I doubt with the information out there the DR will be their first choice......

There are a lot of charter flights to DR/Punta Cana from the USA. Apple/Cheap Caribbean/Vacation Express etc., have direct charter flights operating out of 25 USA Airports. Then lots of direct airline flights from NY, Charlotte, FLL, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, etc., most to PUJ. Not including Mexico/Canada border countries, Americans travel to UK the most, then DR is next slightly ahead of France.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Through November 2017:

"Among foreign visitors, 56.3% hailed from North America (the U.S., Canada and Mexico), 25.8% from Europe, 12.8% from South America and the rest from Central America and Asia, according to the Central Bank report.

Countries showing the largest increases included Russia, England, Germany and the Ukraine.

More than 95% of the visitors reported coming for recreation; 93.7% said they stayed at a hotel or resort..."

https://www.travelweekly.com/Caribb...epublic-visitor-numbers-show-increase-in-2017