tourist card cost to be incorporated into airline ticket price

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Let's not forget for a tourist it is $10 USD arriving and for EVERYONE it is $20 USD to leave...............

Horsepucky. Doesn't cost ANYTHING to leave. I departed SDQ last Friday, and the only thing I had to part with was my precious time, due to some new idiotic rule. "How did you enjoy your stay in the DR?" "Did you visit any of our beaches?" "Did you prefer one over the other?" On and on for about four our or five minutes.
I was about to pop off at the dude, but, realized that he was only doing his job, and getting snippy with him might have cost me to miss my flight.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Horsepucky. Doesn't cost ANYTHING to leave. I departed SDQ last Friday, and the only thing I had to part with was my precious time, due to some new idiotic rule. "How did you enjoy your stay in the DR?" "Did you visit any of our beaches?" "Did you prefer one over the other?" On and on for about four our or five minutes.
I was about to pop off at the dude, but, realized that he was only doing his job, and getting snippy with him might have cost me to miss my flight.

horsepucky my donkey's arse, take a look at your airline receipt. You know, the fine detail part you never bother to read and you will see there is a $20 USD departure fee included in the total course of your ticket.

NOW go eat some horsepucky and sip on a Prez.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The article doesn't say how they will verify who's a Dominican citizen or a regularized foreign resident in the DR and who's a tourist.

I can only think of two possible ways and both ways requires the round trip to start somewhere abroad.

It goes without saying that anyone that buys round trip airline tickets starting in the DR is either a Dominican citizen that lives in the DR or a foreigner with regularized permanent residential status in the DR. Logically, this should imply that the person is not a tourist.

1. They will use the permanent address that you type when buying the airplane ticket. Anyone with a DR permanent address will not be charged the $10.

2. Airlines will be required to ask for cédula number and/or social security number at time of purchase and the computer will verify the residential status of the person. Those that are not Dominican citizens and/or no permanent address in the DR will be charged, everyone else will not.

But, this is speculation under the assumption that logic will be used.

A US Social Security number should NEVER be used for such a purpose. The US Social Security number is not to be used for identification purposes. See this article about why using a Social Security number is both risky and stupid:

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn..._you_cant_have_my_social_security_number.html

A US Passport number should be sufficient.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sounds like how companies use rebates knowing only a small % will figure out how to apply properly and actually receive the rebate.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I very much doubt that the airlines will alter their procedure to accommodate DR1 or Republica Dominicana.

Just won't happen - IMO

Like it or lump it.
Complain and we'll throw you off the plane

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It is well documented and pretty obvious that foreign travelers by far outpace the number of Dominican citizens and legal residents in regards to passenger arrivals. Reversing the process involving the fee collecting for the tourist card could be interpreted as a form of streamlining the current process for more efficient service.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It is certainly a more efficient means of bringing in cash to the government with no expense at all.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
It is well documented and pretty obvious that foreign travelers by far outpace the number of Dominican citizens and legal residents in regards to passenger arrivals.

Is there a thread or link on this.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well,
The total population here is less than 10M.....
Start there, then calculate the arriving people....

For sure, tourists outnumber residents & citizens....without doubt
Google DR tourists annually 

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
It is well documented and pretty obvious that foreign travelers by far outpace the number of Dominican citizens and legal residents in regards to passenger arrivals. Reversing the process involving the fee collecting for the tourist card could be interpreted as a form of streamlining the current process for more efficient service.

Not. Please tell me where else would you have one person checking your passport at the ticketing counter, another to print your boarding pass at the kiosk, and a third to ask silly questions before you proceed to the ticket counter. At the ticket counter, they replace your paper boarding pass with one of "cardboard" (makes them easier for the machine to scan).
On to immigration/security, one person checks paperwork to allow you to enter que, second to verify passport info. then through security and on to migracion. Passport scanned, and prior to departing for gate, final person takes your immigration form.
Idiocy unsurpassed.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
.....well thats it for me........I am not traveling down the road to residency anymore..............

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Not. Please tell me where else would you have one person checking your passport at the ticketing counter, another to print your boarding pass at the kiosk, and a third to ask silly questions before you proceed to the ticket counter. At the ticket counter, they replace your paper boarding pass with one of "cardboard" (makes them easier for the machine to scan).
On to immigration/security, one person checks paperwork to allow you to enter que, second to verify passport info. then through security and on to migracion. Passport scanned, and prior to departing for gate, final person takes your immigration form.
Idiocy unsurpassed.

I believe it was your term "Horsepucky" that was used earlier within this thread, albeit in an incorrect manner which you later apologized for. It may be time once again to rewind the tape as you are clearly confused between the terms arrival and departure. You seem to have had a rough time upon a recent departure, but this topic is directed specifically in regards to arrivals, and the new procedures that are planned regarding them. Are you slightly addled?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Is there a thread or link on this.

I failed to recollect which forum I was participating within. Yes, we need to provide "threads or links" to support an earnest statement. After all, 2017 is coming to an end, and here is 2018 fast approaching. I should not have to do the work for you, but I will, this one single time. Actually, it is not too difficult, as yes, it is still 2017. Seek, and you shall find, if you so choose to. Do you really want to squabble over the obvious fact that foreign travelers far outpace the number of Dominican citizens and legal residents in regards to passenger arrivals? If so, here you go, work away. These statistics are through calendar year 2016, if that is sufficient for your inquiry. Enjoy.
http://www.jac.gob.do/transparencia...atistics Report - Dominican Republic 2016.pdf