Tourist Card Extension (I Got It, but Have a Question)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
To give some finality to this discussion, the legal consensus was that the extension was 60 days total in addition to my 30 days on the tourist card, allowing me 90 days in the country.

I am not certain this will always be the case, but immigration officials at the border agreed, though they were a bit surprised that the document existed. Might have been the first time the officer in question even saw a prorroga. At any rate, they took the prorroga, made photocopies of it, and let me cross the border into Haiti. I did not have to pay the tourist overstay fee.

Just to confirm........you paid nothing for this extension which is supposedly 60 days over and above the tourist card and did not pay and exit fee either?

If so, it appears you were fortunate, because the DGM website says you pay for the extension.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Precisely. I got three different answers from three different people at DGM:

- "I don't know." (meaning it wasn't clear)
- "The 60-day prorroga includes your initlal 30 days."
- "The 60-day prorroga is in addition to your initial 30 days."

And people wonder why some of us just prefer to pay the
overstay fee...smh :cheeky:

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Just to confirm........you paid nothing for this extension which is supposedly 60 days over and above the tourist card and did not pay and exit fee either?

If so, it appears you were fortunate, because the DGM website says you pay for the extension.

It's been clear throughout the entirety of this thread that, for better or for worse, what the DGM website says re: getting the extension is completely irrelevant. They're operating by unwritten (though apparently still standardized) rules.